• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,500 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,500

PreviousChapters Next
257. Nucleation by Jonesly

by Jonesly

***

It had been a cold month. The sun rose every day, but it never seemed to hold the same warmth as it had. Twilight Sparkle had taken to the clouds this day, fleeing from the expressions of support and comfort. She was sick of it, day in, day out, the constant refrain of, “It'll pass, it'll get better.” Well, it wasn't, and it wouldn't.

She sat on the cloud, reveling in the cold. It felt right, to be cold, she remembered a lesson long past. She pulled up a chunk of cloud, and started condensing it. As she pressed it in, it turned to liquid, pure and clear. She pressed harder, but she couldn't get it to solidify. There wasn't a core for the ice crystals to form around. Nucleation, it had been patiently explained to her when she was studying weather magic. A solid core providing the base for ice to form in the atmosphere. A support around which the fluid water could crystallize. Turning from a fluid into a beautiful thing...

She was just so tired. She couldn't be strong, she couldn't be solid. Her core had been ripped away from her. Without that solid base... she was weak and soft, like rain... and like rain, tears fell down her face. As the day ended and the sun set, Twilight whispered, “Why couldn't it have been me?”

PreviousChapters Next