• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,494 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,494

PreviousChapters Next
237. WYSIWYG by Knight of Lycaeus

***

Sequel to Frisbee

A quick teleportation spell later and both had left Celestia's study and reappeared on some clouds just beyond the border of the Everfree Forest.

"This is unexpected" Twilight said in a confused tone as she turned to look at Celestia, "Why the Everfree Forest?"

"Actually our destination is the Everfree Castle, direct teleportation is far too risky due to the presence of powerful Wild Magic." Celestia said.

Celestia prepared to takeoff when a throat clearing from Twilight stopped her, "Something wrong Twilight?"

Twilight nodded, "Something's bothering you." She raised a hoof when she noticed Celestia trying to deny it. "When it's feasible you like to make eye contact with me when answering any of my questions. When you answered the question of why here, you didn't." Twilight looked up at Celestia, "We're seating on clouds away from others so this is definitely a chance you would take. So please tell me what's wrong."

Celestia paused as her mind replayed memories of their time together and yes, Twilight had a point she often did maintain eye contact when speaking. Celestia sighed, "Could this wait? I do not wish to darken today with such a topic."

Twilight shook her head, "Please tell me, I don't care if it's unpleasant. When we agreed to start dating we also agreed to be more open not less."

Celestia sat silent before slowly, hesitantly began to speak, "What do you know about the Everfree settlement?"

Twilight thought for a while, "Not much. It was once the center of pony settlement with the Everfree Castle at its core. There are little records even in the deepest sections of the Royal Archives but I do a little of its end. Zecora's potion showed me glimpses of the end, Luna…. becoming Nightmare Moon…. then briefly a little of your fight and then you banishing Luna to the moon."

Celestia sighed, "One of my greatest regrets. The Everfree settlement was more than just a home; it was where we lived for so long. We raised a small village in the heart of the forest during the Mad Years; the chaotic nature of the forest was a buffer to Discord's own brand of chaos. For many centuries we lived here, the small camp became a town and later the center of civilization for a fledgling pony society."

Twilight sat intently listening although she was still confused as to what Celestia was getting at, "Not to sound rude but are you sure about this. As little as I know about it, I do know those times are still difficult for you to deal wiyh."

Celestia sighed again, "It's still rough but I'll manage. With what you…. what little you saw reflects me both how I was and in some ways still am today…."

Twilight leaned in to hug Celestia who had gone silent after her last statement.

Celestia shook her head, "Thank you. Back then I was so deeply involved in state affairs; a fledgling nation has many enemies internally and externally and many difficulties in getting up and running properly. I was so deeply involved in state affairs that I left Luna behind. I left her alone at a time when she needed me; so few to keep her company, even the Lunar Ponies were not enough. Luna once bore Honesty and Loyalty; she felt strongly the biting words that the Solar Ponies brought upon her and her domains. The Solars offered very little in the way of honest words or true loyalty, both of these affected her deeply and in my negligence I lost her for a millennium."

Twilight tightened her hug as she tried to figure out Celestia's reasons for digging what were very deep wounds.

"The Solar Millennium came and passed, you came into my life and helped bring back Luna to me" another sigh, "but here I am. I'm repeating the mistakes from before. I'm always involved in the nation's affairs to the point I can forget what I need to attend to, I need to attend to my family not just what's needed to lead all ponies. My sénéchal is the one that runs my days and keeping things in line so I don't forget but I never want to put family matters in the same light as my duties."

"I'm still confused of why you're telling me this." said Twilight.

Celestia sighed again, "I worry that you still view me at least at times in the same light that you did when you were younger. That you still see me as the perfect pony; both wise, steady, a guide and shepherd to all ponies. I'm not, I forget things often and I push myself too much in what holds my attention to the point of negligence. What you seen then and what you've seen of me these last few years have been exactly that. Celestia the pony, not the Princess but I worry that you still see me in that perfect light."

"I do not" Twilight began slowly, "I do not see you as perfection. I see you as a very important pony to me now and then. 'What has been gilded with gold are nothing but granite underneath', one the few times we discussed philosophy was about that phrase. It applies here, you've seen my flaws and now I've seen some of yours. I'm the same at times, I wrap myself in what interests me and it takes my friends and family to dig my out of it. You remember how I was before I left for Ponyville, I still deal with that sometimes and I love you no less for being less than perfect. Yes, there have been difficulties in changing how I see you but it's a change I embrace if it means we could be together as we are now."

Twilight leaned further into the hug she had been sharing to give Celestia a kiss, "We both have flaws and quite often similar flaws. The road may be difficult but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Now I know this needs a longer discussion but perhaps we could focus on something a little different. You did bring me to visit the Everfree Castle for a reason."

Celestia gave a small smile, "Thank you, you're right. We'll talk at length later about this but I do apologize for darken our anniversary like this but there is something at the Everfree Castle I would like for you to see."

The pair took off and headed into the depths of the Everfree Forest, as they approached Twilight could see the castle. A very changed castle, no longer were the walls slowly crumbling to ruin nor were the roofs missing but intact and whole. She could see the full magnificence of the castle that while smaller than Canterlot was still very ornate with detailed carvings and details etched into the walls.

"What? When did this happen?" Twilight asked as they landed, her last visit here had been to what was a slowly crumbling ruin.

"This is what I wanted to show you, the castle restored. This is a place of great significance for both of us and I desired to have it restored. In the weeks and months to come I will be sending in teams to help further clean up the castle."

Twilight took slow steps towards the castle doors, "It's beautiful even among this dangerous forest. I can see why ponies once saw this as the center of civilization. Although I do wonder, why restore a place deep in a forest few would ever willingly venture to."

"I have plans, Twilight. This place was my home for many centuries, much longer than Canterlot has been." Placing a hoof against the stonework she began tracing one of the etched details, "This is why I've brought you here. I had abandoned here in my grief but with Luna's return I wanted this place to find new purpose than just rotting away. I would like for this to be a home or at least a retreat from the political machinations in Canterlot. It was the home Luna and I held for centuries but I now wish to extend its use. If you ever need a quiet retreat this place will be open for you."

Twilight was stunned both by the restoration of the Everfree Castle and standing invitation to live here whenever she wished, "Shouldn't it just be for you and Luna?"

"It could have been but you are important to us both, neither of us would object to you staying here. But as well I would like to have somewhere where we could meet and enjoy each other's company in peace. We've been taking things slow these last few years so you could think of this as the next step when we open our home to you."

"I have one more thing for tonight" Celestia lit her horn and opened the main doors and led Twilight into the dining hall, much like the exterior it was elegantly decorated although much smaller than Canterlot Castle. Set on the tables was a dinner laid out for two. "I also thought you might enjoy a quiet night away from Canterlot." Lifting a bottle she filled two glasses with wine and offered one to Twilight, "Here tonight, we celebrate three years of being together. I hope that we may share many more years."

PreviousChapters Next