• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,494 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,494

PreviousChapters Next
409. Ataractic by Jonesly

***

A mare walked down the hallway, humming quietly to herself. As she approached the door she paused, took a deep breath, and knocked softly. Opening the door she walked in and approached the bed.

“Dear, are you awake? It’s a beautiful day outside. The birds are singing, the sun is shining and the nobility isn’t in open revolt.”

A small cough came from behind her. “Ah Princess…”

The mare turned. “Doctor! How is she this morning? I had hoped she’d be having an up day. I promised to read her a book that my Father used to read to me when I was sick.”

“She, um, she had an attack last night…” The doctor started.

He was instantly interrupted. “Is she ok, what happened? Will she be alright? Is she in pain? She looks ok, please tell me she’s ok.”

The doctor continued. “She was in pain. A lot of pain. We’re still not sure what happened. In the middle of the night she suddenly started screaming and we… well we almost lost her. After we stabilized her, we put her on the strongest ataractic magic we know. I promise you that the pain has passed and the best thing we can do is keep her sedated.

“Please Doctor. Please tell me that she’ll get better, that she’ll come back to me.” Her head remained bowed over the form in the bed.

“I… I can’t. If I told you that, I’d be lying. We’re doing everything we can. At this point, I cannot promise that she’ll be fine. It… it might be best for you to start thinking about…”

“DON’T SAY IT.”

The doctor’s mouth clacked shut at the sharp words. “I’m sorry.” He whispered as he gently placed his hoof on the mare’s shoulder.

She looked up at him with a grief stricken face. “So am I Doctor. Please leave.”

The doctor silently took his leave.

The mare moved back to the bed and sat down in her usual place. She levitated a book over and opened it to the beginning. “Where were we? Ah yes, ‘The year that Buttercup was born, the most beautiful mare in the world was a Prench scullery maid named…”

The day moved on, the mare beside the bed did not. When night fell, she finally stood up, walking to the door she looked back. “I’ll be back tomorrow my love. Wait for me.”

PreviousChapters Next