• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,500 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,500

PreviousChapters Next
355. Gazebo by Knight of Cerebus

***

"Ouch!" A hoof came down upon the tiny body of a baby dragon hiding in the leaf litter.

Twilight leapt into the air, yelping louder than she had during her first encounter with Ponyville's resident alligator. Once she'd regained her bearings, she noticed her number one assistant rubbing his backside and hastily rising to his feat. Almost immediately after, she noticed he was standing behind what looked to be a targeting scope the size of a small telescope, which was aimed in the direction of the park's largest and most notably piece of scenery. "S-Spike! What the hay are you doing in out past your bedtime, hiding in the bushes in the middle of a public park staring at a gazebo?!"

"I could ask the same thing of you."

Twilight held a hoof up to her chest, making sure to slow herself and even breaths rather than hyperventilate. "No," she said slowly, her poor heart returning to its normal pace, "you couldn't, because everypony and their cat knows why I'm out here by this point and, thanks to their endless teasing, I'm never gonna forget that they all know it. And I'm spending my time here waiting for somepony, not hiding in a bush staring at a garden party centrepiece like a crazypony!" Twilight's eye twitched ever so slightly.

"And who would that somepony be?" Spike raised an eyebrow, putting his hands on his hips.

"Why does it matter?" Twilight flicked her tail, her eyes wandering and her cheeks gaining the faintest hint of red at the question.

"I dunno. You could be in league with him."

Twilight sighed the sigh of a pony with more long stories to tell than time to tell them. "Do I really want to know who 'he' is?"

Spike pointed a claw at the gazebo, his eyes narrowing. "You've never noticed how it always seems to move to be wherever we are in the park? Even if we aren't having a picnic? Have you never heard a growl come from out of nowhere in the middle of the park before? Never smelled the awful smell that comes from it whenever somepony walks past with a little animal nearby. A little animal like, oh, say, me?" Spike shifted his eyes from left to right, casting a glance filled with especial menace at the object in question.

"No, in point of fact, I haven't." Twilight took a massive breath, letting out yet another sigh. At last, she managed to give a smile and quell her anxiety-driven frustration. "Instead, I think it's better to focus on animate, legitimate threats to Ponyville's security. We have a forest filled with monsters, periodic invasions by random dark-magic wielders, hostile races that want to invade us and can even shape change and use mind control, a bunch of random construction failures, magical mishaps (not all of which are my fault) and random strong weather patterns blowing over from the Everfree. I'm not going to strain myself worrying about inanimate objects, too." Twilight patted Spike on the head, her smile growing softer. "Now one thing I am worried about is my assistant ruining his sleep cycle over scary things that are all in his head."

"But all that weird stuff you're talking about is just my point!" Spike shrugged off Twilight's tender hoof, opting instead to press his concerns. "A killer gazebo is just the sort of insanity that would come from a town like Ponyville!"

Twilight deflated. "Ugh, fine. I'll come pick you up with Tia in about fifteen minutes. But you better be ready for sappy mushy stuff, 'cause you brought it on yourself at this point." Twilight trotted off with a face scrunched up like she'd swallowed a whole prune, another "ugh!" making its way to Spike's ears. The little dragon watched his guardian wander away, giving a grunt and shrugging at last. Another noise worked its way into his range of hearing not long after.

"He knows."

Spike turned on his heel. Standing directly above him was the dark shape of the wooden mass he had been watching all evening. To his utter horror, a guttural growling rumbled all around him, the vibrations rocking his chest and stomach. Saliva dripped from the roof, thick translucent globs dripping down and glimmering in the moonlight. The outline of sharp teeth stood out against the backdrop of the evening park. Spike bolted.

"Twilight?! Hey, Twilight! Wait up!"

PreviousChapters Next