• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,507 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,507

PreviousChapters Next
32. Garden by Knight of Cerebus

***

"Garden. Noun. G-a-r-d-e-n. A planted area of ground: a plot of ground where plants such as fruits, vegetables, or flowers are grown. Garden." Celestia would have sighed were she any other pony. Instead, she lightly chuckled at the mathematician's answer she was given.

"Yes dear, that is what your dutifully ignorant textbooks would say about the meaning of a garden. Of course, they've never been inside a garden, so they can't very well tell you what a garden means, can they?" The filly gave a pout, righteous indignation written across her precocious face. Celestia smiled patiently. Fillies were, after all, proud of what knowledge they had gained of their world in such little time. Unfortunately for her lesson, her charge had a defendant.

"Of course, they can be backed up by personal anecdote. A good gardening book speaks from experience, not from observation. And a good scientist doesn't form an opinion until she has gathered a full range of data, does she?"

"No!" The filly shook her head, flashing Celestia a smug grin. Momma Twilight had taken her side.

"And as I told you when you were her age, Twilight, the reason why you continue to fail to grow roses." Celestia took a great degree of pleasure in the blush that formed at her words. "Is because you view it as a science. The subtleties of each plant need to be listened to, and tended to. Because every plant is different, every garden too has a different meaning. The lesson I was trying to deliver was that every living thing needs a different approach."

Twilight watched as Starbust tilted her head, trying to conceive of the idea of changing how she acted around every plant, person and animal she met. That was a lot of acting.

"Couldn't you say that's an opinion in itself?" Twilight smiled, nuzzling her baffled filly. "I've managed fine all these years without changing who I am around other ponies. I may change my behaviour on the surface for them, but I'm still Twilight Sparkle all the same." She knelt to look down at her filly. "And you are still my darling sunlight."

"M-om!" The filly blushed over the laughter, pouting at the pair of them, horrible conspirators that they were. The couple descended into whispers, never breaking eye contact with the now completely bamboozled foal.

"You're only going to encourage her, you know."

"I intend to. You know she's shy around other ponies, still. Let her take it at her own pace."

"She could use a push."

"She'll find it if she looks long enough." Twilight finally broke the gap and silence between herself and their child. "Come on, after we're done with the gardens I'll show you a nice book on philosophy."

"Phil-lo-so-fy?" Starburst questioned.

"And when we get there, Momma Tia can teach you anything she wants to about it." Celestia gave an amicable smile.

As the pair trailed the filly, now chasing after a butterfly (to identify its species, of course. Merely calling it Lepidoptera was an insult to the scientific method!) and looking forward to an afternoon of learning, Celestia leaned in to admit, "Perhaps you've got a knack for gardening in you yet, Twilight."

PreviousChapters Next