• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,446 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,446

PreviousChapters Next
419. Zaftig by The Ponytrician

***

“Twilight,” Celestia twirled in front of her fellow alicorn princess, sending drapes and folds of cloth flaring gracefully through the air, “does this dress make me look fat?”

Twilight froze. Solid.

Coming from somepony who had once been turned to stone by a cockatrice, she knew frozen solid, and this was certainly it.

Her mind, however, was racing.

This. This was it. The moment had finally come. Ever since she and Celestia had taken their relationship beyond of that of teacher and student, beyond that of princessly peers, this was the one moment that she had been expecting. Anticipating. Dreading.

All the books about dating and relationship advice she had read foretold that, one day, in some form or another, this question would come.

And here it loomed now, larger than life, in all it’s clichéd glory. The ultimate test; the make-or-break point of their relationship; the question with no correct answer!

Should she deflect and try to change the subject? ‘Why, of course it doesn’t; now, how about those latest trade concession demands from Griffonstone?’ No, Celestia was far too wise to fall for such a simple tactic, and would no doubt continue to press for details.

Perhaps a simple, direct application of the truth would do the trick? But how to approach from that angle? The truth could range anywhere from ‘It does draw the eyes to the flanks...’ all the way to ‘It’s not the dress, it’s all that cake and second helpings of dessert…’; and either of those responses, or any that fell between, were practically open invitations to upset feelings and disaster.

On the reverse, then; a lie? ‘No, in fact it’s very slimming...’ Could she do it? Could she lie to Celestia? Twilight knew that she was a terrible liar, and surely Celestia would know it as soon as she heard it, which would be even more hurtful to the pony she loved most in this world.

She glanced at Celestia, who raised an eyebrow as she patiently waited for a response.

Twilight fought the urge to swallow nervously. It was far too late to cut her losses and flee the scene; Hoity Toity and the numerous attendants and assistants who were taking the dress fittings for the Princesses’ Grand Galloping Gala attire had surely noticed the question, and Twilight knew from Rarity that ponies in the fashion industry loved nothing better than gossip. Especially gossip about nobility and royalty. Sure, it might be fine for *some* ponies to spontaneously dive out of the nearest window, dye their mane and tail, change their Cutie Mark, and move to Mustangia to take up a new career as a professional cragadile wrangler; but she was a Princess of Equestria, with a host of responsibilities resting squarely on her shoulders, and being highly recognizable as such didn’t help matter in the least.

She could feel the tension growing, the pressure to provide an answer practically crushing her. Escape wasn’t an option, and she couldn’t stall any longer.

“It makes you look…”

Twilight mentally flailed. She loved the way that Celestia looked, dress or no dress. It didn’t matter if she was a bit on the curvy, cuddly side; Twilight loved those curves, but she would love Celestia no matter how she looked. Celestia loved Twilight, too, didn’t she? Why would she subject Twilight to such horrible torture? Was she testing Twilight to see how she would respond? Did she want to provoke a fight, so that she could break up with Twilight? Why would she do this to her? WHYYYY!?

“... zaftig,” she supplied.

“Zaftig?”

Twilight nodded enthusiastically.

“Zaftig.” Celestia rolled the word around in her mouth, as if tasting it. After a moment, she smiled. “I like that.”

Twilight relaxed. Safe at last.

“Dear sister, yon dress gives thy hindquarters the appearance of two over-stuffed cushions contesting for space upon a refurbished settee!” Luna called cheerfully from across the room, where she was having her own dress fitted.

Twilight’s eyes shot wide with panic.

“Really?” Celestia mused, and then giggled at Twilight’s outraged expression. “Perhaps it is time for a more sensible diet and a touch more exercise. Meanwhile, Hoity Toity, can you show me something a bit more flowing?”

Author's Note:

Sheesh! More new contributors!

You guys are awesome. And your Twilestia drabbles are indeed bestia.

PreviousChapters Next