• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,507 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,507

PreviousChapters Next
49. Luna by Knight of Cerebus

***

The moon princess' legs dangled over the edge of her balcony. Stewing her tea aimlessly, she stared blankly at the starry sky in front of her. It was difficult to avoid someone when the lives of an entire nation depended upon synchronized magic casting with them. It was easy to stay angry at that someone, however.

"Princess? I...hey...I thought we might look at stars together. Do you...er...would you like that?" Twilight hovered in the doorway, flinching at Luna's dull glare when it turned on her. "Never mind. It was stupid...I'll just...yeah..."

"Nay, Twilight Sparkle. 'Tis true, we would enjoy that." Luna sighed, setting aside her frigid tea and walking to the telescope-bearing mare beside her. "Celestia put you up to this, I presume." It was not a question. Twilight's ears folded slightly.

"Well, sort of. She just mentioned you were upset, and that you might like to see me. I always think the times when we most want to be alone is when we most need our friends." She gave a weak smile.

"And what, then, if your friend is the source of the problem?" Luna's dull glare had returned. Twilight looked as though she had been physically struck. Her eyes widened.

"I...oh! Did one of the motions I pass in the astronomical society insult you? I can revoke it. Or, maybe you'd like me to send friendship letters to you too? Was it something I said when we last met up?" Luna sighed again. Gods damn Twilight Sparkle and her inferiority complex, it was impossible to resent that pony.

"No, Twilight, we--urgh!" Luna stomped a foot. "We are being foolish, that is all. The term is still "jealous", yes?"

Twilight blinked. "You're jealous of me? But I'm not--"

"Of course you are worth being jealous of, Twilight. You are the darling of Equestria. My own sister embraces you before me. Hordes line in the street to cheer you, when the best I can do is play cannibal monster and tell foals scary stories." Luna's ears retreated.

"Luna...Is this about the Crystal Empire?"

The question was met with a glum nod. The moon Princess grabbed the telescope.

"Come. You are right, regardless of circumstance. We would have time spent with our friend not be wasted on griping when we could be spending cherished time together." Twilight blushed at this.

"You...uh...you do know why 'Tia sent me instead of you, right?" Luna looked warily at Twilight, who continued on with an uncertain look. "She told me afterward. We, uh, celebrated the occasion together. And when we, uh, celebrate, she tells me things about herself that she doesn't usually." Luna raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"She said that she couldn't, couldn't send you. She didn't wake you up when the changelings showed up, or when Discord was here, and s-she could've, you know. She said that she's scared." Twilight took in a breath, her eyes still matching. "She said a thousand years was enough. She said that she knew I could handle it, and that my friends would be there for me, and that she couldn't fight you again. She couldn't, Luna. You know, you, uh, maybe I am closer to her...b-but that's because I'm safe. Because she's not scared for me, of hurting me. And, uh, for what it's worth...I want to see you and her happy again. Because I want my friends to be happy, and seeing her happy is just the greatest..." Luna watched in shock as tears pooled in her companion's eyes. "You don't even know, Luna."

The elder creature wrapped a wing around her younger, and gave a sigh. "I think I do, in fact. I apologize, Twilight Sparkle. I should not be intruding upon my sister's love life." The fluster that the younger unicorn was more than worth the risk of guessing wrong.

"I never said she and I were--"

Luna only laughed.

Author's Note:

Fun Fact: Everytime I start to type Knight of Cerebus' user name, I start with a "N" and have to restart.

EVERY. TIME.

PreviousChapters Next