• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,500 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,500

PreviousChapters Next
139. Apology by Shadowed Song

***

Twilight stood before me, shifting from hoof to hoof nervously. She's so cute when she's anxious. She bits her lower lip and swishes her beautiful tail; a sight I can never get over. How I wish I could do something about my feelings for the heavenly crea—

"Princess, is something the matter. Your letter said you had important news for me." Twilight's voice brought me out of my reveries.

"Yes, Twilight. A few days ago, you wrote that friendship report on supporting your friends through tragedy. After reading it, I realized that there is nothing more I can teach you. My faithful student, I present to you this certificate." I floated a large scroll out from behind my throne, along with a framed certificate. I unrolled the scroll and started reading.

"I, Princess Celestia, Guardian of the Day and Elder Diarch of Equestia, do present Twilight Sparkle with this certificate, in recognition of graduating from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns with a Doctorate in Friendship. In addition, I bestow upon you the title of Archmage. Upon acceptance of this title, you will be given two positions, Head of Academic Instruction and Champion of the Three Tribes."

I took a breath and looked at Twilight. She was collapsed on the floor, looking at me in adoration. "I can't belive there is another ten thousand words in this speach. Are they trying to bore us to death?" I laughed and put down the scroll. Twilight is absolutely adorable, laying like that.

"Oh, Princess. I've always dreamed of this moment." Twilight pulled herself up and walked over to me. "Head of Academic Instruction, I can plan the curriculums, even teach them. I can do for other foals what you did for me."

I met Twilight at the bottom of the steps and hugged her. "I'm sure you will be a fine teacher. I'm so proud of you."

Twilight pulled out of my embrace, blushing. "I did learn from the best."

I laughed again. "I guess I was a pretty good good teacher. But now on to slightly more serious things. Now that you are no longer my student, we can do much more together. Twilight, will you be my—"

Twilight jumped forwards and kissed me. "Yes! I will be your mare friend! I knew you loved me too."

I stared in shock at the ecstatic mare before me. "—escort to the Griffin Empire." I took a death breath, my calm demeanor restored. As much as I wished to return her love, I cannot. If we were to start a relationship, it would stunt her progress in the world. She would never know the wonders of motherhood, of seeing her children grow up and have children of their own. She would watch her friends move on. She would stand by my side, aging as I remained unchanged. She would live in constant danger from my enemies. And after she died, I would eventually forget her. I won't let my love go through such a lonely life. I braced myself, I knew I was about to crush her heart. "Twilight, I love you as a friend, nothing more."

Twilight's rear legs gave out. She stared at me ears flattened and tears in her eyes. "But you've always been so affectionate, hugging me and inviting me to the castle."

I nearly gave in as tears started steaming down her face. I had to stay strong, I had to protect her. "That's because I think of you as my daughter. You almost never saw your family while under my tutelage, so I took over that responsibility."

Twilight took a step towards me. "Can't you try to love me as more than a friend? Please, give me a chance!"

I turned away from her, trying to contain tears. "I cannot, Twilight. Please do not make this harder for us. The last thing I want is to limit our contact"

Twilight jumped up and hugged again. "Please don't send me away!"

"I promise, I will not send you away if, if you make an active effort to find someone else to love." I pushed her away. "For now, we both need time to think. Come see me this evening, there are still things we must plan out."

Twilight turned away from me and started walking towards the doors. She stopped a few paces away. "I really have no chance?"

"None." I hear the doors open and close gently. I collapse onto the floor, sobbing. "Oh Twilight, my love, how I wish we could be together. I could have made you so happy. Instead, I've shattered your heart." I got up and walked to my room. I locked the door and sat at my desk. I notice one of my papers has fallen to the ground; I pick it up. It's one of Fluttershy's friendship reports.

My experiences with the Breezies have helped me to see that kindness can take many forms. And, sometimes, being too kind can actually keep a friend from doing what they need to do. Pushing them away may seem cruel, but it's sometimes the kindest thing you can do.

"Fluttershy, I hope you are right." I put the report next to a picture of me and Twilight. "I hope you can forgive me someday, my love. I had to protect you." I started crying again. "Is this what you're felling? Your heart being ripped apart with icy dagger?"

"I'm so sorry."

Author's Note:

Another new author for the collab!

PreviousChapters Next