• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,499 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,499

PreviousChapters Next
365. Lakeside by Knight of Cerebus

***

"It sure is pretty, isn't it?" Twilight said, looking out over the lakefront. Flickers of sunlight danced across the surface of the emerald pool, making Twilight's eyes shine with glittering speckles when she looked upon it. Ducks and geese cruised the water lazily, taking a moment when the late spring's breeze died down to dip their heads underwater and nibble at the crustaceans below the surface. Celestia sat in the soft grass of the valley with that delicate poise she seemed to bring to every action she strived for.

"Absolutely." She said softly. Twilight turned to look at her, ear flicking at the way Celestia's voice dropped the slightest edge to its usual warmth. She searched Celestia's eyes for a moment, her wingtips flickering and twitching with the precious parcel she carried under her feathers. Her lover smiled back at her, and Twilight could see by the way Celestia's pupils were dimmed that the mare was lost in thought.

"Is something, er, on your mind?"

"That is." Celestia smiled. The wind blew again, and the bulbs of unbloomed flowers bowed towards Twilight's tensed form. "You hesitated. You're nervous." Her smile didn't leave her face, but Twilight could see the concern in her expression by the way the corners of her mouth folded. "And I can imagine why. You've been pulling out all the stops for me, my dear. Spoiling me, even. Most of the time when ponies take me out to dinner on top of Manehattan's Statue of Harmony it's because they want to assassinate me." Celestia smirked, but Twilight frowned at even the thought. Celestia's eyes softened. "Every time there's been something on the tip of your tongue. Something you've wanted to say." Flowers drifted past Celestia on lazy lily pads, the winds in the idyllic valley shifting ever so slightly. "You've taken me out ice skating at the height of the winter carnival, and when we reached the fireworks show you paused. But you looked away. We went to watch the glaciers melt top of the Canterhorn after Winter Wrap Up, and when the water started to break the ice sheets you opened your mouth. And then you closed it." Celestia stood up slowly, trotting with a deliberate gait over towards Twilight. "But you know me well enough to know where this is going, and I know you well enough to know why you've tried five times to make the leap and stopped short five times already. And that's precisely why I know I'm ready to make the jump."

Twilight smiled a massive smile. "I knew you'd figure it out eventually. And you're right, I am scared. I have been for a long time." Twilight sighed, letting out pent up air. "But I also knew that I'd only be ready to ask you once you knew, because I knew you'd be scared, too, and I know you hate being put on the spot."

"So you held back for me." Celestia chuckled. "That would be our Twilight Sparkle."

"I held back for us. I needed to know we'd be ready." Twilight opened her wing, revealing the jewelry box underneath. "Do you think I should get down on one knee?" The wind sat perfectly still. Then, ever so slowly, a breeze shifted around to whisper its way toward Celestia's elegant form. The alicorn clicked her tongue and shook her head ever so softly.

"I do, you silly unicorn. Now kiss me."

The box dropped into the soft grass of the lakeside, and at last the waters fell into a calm once more. In front of the embracing lovers, ducks and geese across the pond took the opportunity to dive, and the mares and landscape both fell quiet.

PreviousChapters Next