• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,508 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,508

PreviousChapters Next
161. Affair by Honey Mead

***

Twilight ran.

It started as a dignified trot, head high, chin up, purposeful steps. By the first turn she could barely see for the tears in her eyes. It was the first sob that broke the levee. All sense of poise washed away in the flood of emotions that followed.

When the clatter of racing hooves reached her ear, she knew she'd not be able to out run them.

Twilight blinked.

+++++++++++++++++++

A flash of golden light filled the Books and Branches library, only for a more stable glow to replace it a second later.

Celestia took in the ancient tree's interior with red, puffy eyes. It was empty save for the books that called it home. "Twilight?" she rasped, her voice too weak to produce an echo. She moved deeper into the building, climbing the stairs toward Twilight's room, calling out for her ever other step. The creak of floorboards the only reply.

It was a small door that led into Twilight's bedroom, designed as it was for normal ponies. It was wood and paint, and thin besides. Yet, it may as well have been the gates of Tartarus for all that Celestia could make herself open it.

She rested her head against the rough surface and sighed. "Twilight? Please speak to me."

Any pony else would have missed the faint sob that came from the other side, but to Celestia's ears it was as loud as a Sonic Rainboom. She waited until the silence became too much to bear.

"I-- I'm sorry," she began, uncertain if her voice was even penetrating the door. "I know there is nothing that I can say to make this right. I know that... I know you hate me right now. And you should. I won't make any excuses. You deserve so much better than that. Just... I need to know that you will be alright." She drew a shaky breath. "I've sent for your parents and the girls, but until they arrive, I can't let you be alone right now. Please talk to me... say something. Yell at me. Anything so that I know you are there."

Celestia fell with the silence, crumpling to the floor like a paper doll under its own weight.

"How long?"

Celestia stared at the thin gap between the floor and door. "It's not that si--"

"I asked how long!"

She sighed. "Six months."

"Six months!" The door shook as Twilight's hoof slammed against it, and Celestia flinched. "I can't believe you! I trusted you!"

"I know."

"I gave you my heart!"

"I know."

"And you betrayed me!"

Celestia stared at the gap and nodded, even though she knew Twilight couldn't see her. "I'm sorry."

"How?" Twilight finally asked, the anger ebbing from her voice. A dull thump sounding from her side of the door. "How could you do this to me?"

"It started..." Celestia dug her hoof into the floor. "It started at the garden party. Just... friends. You know we started spending time together after that. It... it just grew from there. We didn't--"

"Good intentions," Twilight said, her voice dull and lifeless.

Celestia nodded again. "I don't expect you to forgive me. I don't deserve it."

"Why her?" Celestia closed her eyes, hoping that she would let it go. The door shook again. "Why her Princess? WHY HER!"

"That's why," she whispered before she could stop herself. Celestia cringed, hoping that she had gone unheard.

"What?"

Celestia closed her eyes, trying to hold back the tears. "I... I tried Twilight. I tried so hard. I wanted it to be you. You're everything I... But you... I couldn't..." She swallowed back the lump in her throat. "Do you know what she calls me when we are alone? Sunbutt. She calls me Sunbutt, Twilight. Luna is not so at ease in my presence. You... you still don't see me, Twilight. Even after... when you look into my eyes. You are looking for approval. I can't be your mentor and your lover, Twilight. None of that excuses what I've done, and if you are never able to forgive me, I understand." The creak of old hinges pulled at Celestia's ear. "Your friends are here. I should go." Her horn began to glow. "I am so sorry for what I have done to you. I... I will always love you... my faithful student."

A flash of sunlight filled the library.

PreviousChapters Next