• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,513 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,513

PreviousChapters Next
285. Incoming by Misago

***

It was quite a feat to annoy Princess Celestia.

After all, after thousands of years of ruling Equestria, having to endure the squabbling and plotting of the nobles, not to mention the supreme vexation that was her own adopted nephew, she had developed a patience only rivaled by the very mountain Canterlot was built upon.

And yet, as the doors to the royal bedroom slammed shut behind her with just a little bit of force more than necessary, Celestia had to fight hard to keep her wings from twitching.

The hormones played a part in it, of course. Normally, the inability to move gracefully through the halls or lay on her stomach like she usually did would not be enough to warrant Celestia furrowing her brow And yet, as she lowered herself on her bed, carefully making sure her prominent belly would not get in her way, she felt a flash of irritation.

Of course she was happy. She was about to be a mother soon. She and Twilight would have a wonderful foal, the first alicorn-born foal known to ponykind. To have a family, with two proud mothers, a beloved daughter and one very happy aunt already prancing through the castle in anticipation.

But Twilight was the problem, at the moment. At first, it had been endearing, the way she scurried around Celestia to make sure her every need was met. Celestia had anticipated Twilight worrying even more than usual during her pregnancy, and she had been prepared to take all steps to calm her down.

And when they had reached the point where an entire battalion of guards was deployed to escort her to the dining hall. When she could not get time with Twilight alone, because her dear wife was always running around, directing the escort, making sure there was nothing she could trip over in her path. And when Twilight even left her at night to check and reinforce the spells protecting the bedroom for hours upon hours, Celestia had enough.

Celestia had made it clear to Twilight that she had gone overboard. She had explained patiently that, with foal or not, she was still a goddess with the highest amount of magic power known to Ponykind. She had fought in wars with even while heavily wounded, and she had faced the greatest champions of griffons and minotaurs, and all had bowed to her prowess.

It was hard to confront her wife like this, but it was necessary. Still, seeing Twilight so defeated hurt Celestia's heart. She had looked for her to apologize for her harshness, but Twilight had been busy re-scheduling the guard shifts to rescind her previous orders.

With all other ponies, this would have warranted a sigh from the notoriously calm and composed Celestia. But in the condition she was in, she felt tears sting in her eyes. She, who knew best about Twi's insecurities, who had spent so much time to reassure her, comfort her, had triggered that in her beloved wife.

It had been necessary, but that was small comfort now, lying alone in the great bed.

Exhausted, she rested her head on the pillows. The feeling of the foal in her gave her some comfort, but it still was a while before she could fall asleep.

###

Celestia awoke a while later from the feeling of warmth on her back, as well as the slight tugging in her mane with the familiar noise of someone grooming her. With the effort of having recently escaped from sleep, she turned her head carefully, so as to not disturb her dear wife from the very welcome caresses.

She came face to face with two familiar, but tired-looking eyes and the shaky smile Twilight wore when she felt truly guilty.

"Oh...I'm so sorry, I did not mean to wake you!", Twilight stuttered, scrambling to her hooves in panic, only to stop when Celestia smiled warmly at her.

"You are always welcome at my side, dearest." Celestia beckoned her with the tip of her wing. After all these weeks of never having a private moment, always being surrounded by guards, she wanted nothing more than enjoy the caress of the one she loved so much, and was loved so fiercely in return.

The instant Twilight's hoofs surrounded her again, Celestia let out a content sigh. "This is all I want", she murmured, pressing herself deeper into the embrace. The warmth and scent of Twilight enveloped her. "Just some time for us alone. Without guards, without servants, without having to check some spells all the time."

She felt Twilight bury her muzzle into her mane, silently nodding her head.

"I went and visited mom", Twilight whispered after a moment. "She told me about her own pregnancy, how excited she was. And how she wanted to have dad there, with her." Her hoof found Celestia's belly, softly stroking it. "This is our little foal, and you wanted to share this time with me.

"But I thought about it... and I got scared." The admission was nearly inaudible. "There were so many things that could go wrong. We both had our share of troubles, Tia, and we both have enemies. The idea of something... something happening to you... I just..."

Celestia's horn flared before Twilight could finish her sentence. She gently lifted her wife of the ground and placed her in front to face her.

The tears were there, just as expected, and Celestia was having none of it. She drew forward, softly murmuring Twilight name, before bringing their lips together. Her hoof came up, pulling Twilight closer.

"Shh, it's alright, Twilight", she breathed as soon as they came apart. "I often fear for you as well. But we cannot let it rob us of joy."

Twilight looked up, her tears drying now, staring into Celestia's eyes with this look of trust and love that she had fallen for. She moved in to claim another kiss, once again thanking the sun for whatever she had done to earn this wonderful pony.

"I know that you are scared, but trust your friends and family." She waited for Twilight to nod, before continuing: "I will increase protection while I am outside, and you stay with me. And we talk to Luna, so she can take care of protection while we sleep. Is that acceptable?"

The answering smile was shaky, tentative at first. "Thank you, Tia", Twilight muttered, nuzzling Celestia's cheek. "I love you."

Twilight would undoubtedly still insist on planning, setting up spells. But now they would have the time they needed, the time they wanted. The two of them, and their foal as well.

Celestia smiled as Twilight settled down, carefully cuddling up to her belly and tickling her with her wings in the process. She laid her muzzle on her wife's head.

"I love you too."

Author's Note:

Follow-up to Baggage

PreviousChapters Next