• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,519 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,519

PreviousChapters Next
350. The Better Late Than Never Hearth's Warming Special!

Author's Note:

First of all, let me say Happy Hearth's Warming to everyone, and to everyone a happy New Year!

Secondly, allow me to apologize for the lateness of this special, I have been quite busy this holiday season. So, crack open some nog and throw a log on the fire while the cheer lasts and enjoy some year end Twilestia from the good authors of the Twilestia Collab.

Up first: Knight of Cerebus

***


A knock came at Celestia's door, which the Princess of the Day rose to answer with surprise. She was not certain what it was she was expecting on a quiet Hearth's Warming Eve, but it wasn't a tackle-hug from her favourite (and least frequent among regulars) visitor.

Celestia felt her partner's coat dig into her own, the gentle sensation of her head resting on her shoulder. Such unbridled affection was never unappreciated, but there was something almost greedy about the way Twilight's hooves wrapped around her neck and delicately slid her peytral from her neck. The head that rubbed itself softly against her neck pressed perhaps too firmly. The wings that wrapped around her rubbed against her skin and drank in the warmth and softness of her body. Celestia gave the slightest ghost of a frown, opening her eyes.

She rose up to meet Twilight, who she noticed was still clad in a hat and scarf. The smaller alicorn looked into Celestia's eyes, a pure smile warm upon her face. "And a good afternoon to you, too, Twilight. How are you this Hearth's Warming Eve."

"Well, I'm not in the middle of running a pageant, so considerably less stressed than I was last year." Twilight gave a sheepish smile, walking past Celestia into the study. "I brought a good brew with me." Twilight produced a packet of jasmine tea with a burst of salmon-coloured magic.

"You spoil me, my dear. Let me just find my place in my book. I'm sure we can find something for us to read together."

"Well, about that..."

Celestia's smile thinned. "Are you pressed for time? If you are, don't let me keep you."

"Well, actually," Twilight's magic wrapped around Celestia. "We're all waiting for you!"

Celestia fond herself being teleported quite abruptly, the world around her disappearing. When she came to, she found herself surrounded by a group of ponies wearing antlers and the hats Celestia herself would wear on the following day. Twilight joined the chorus of ponies in shouting "surprise!" at the top of her lungs. Celestia blinked, then smiled, picking Luna, Spike, Cadance and Granny Smith out from amongst the party-goers. Twilight produced a pen and checklist, smiling proudly.

"Now Dash just has to convince Fluttershy and everything will be perfect!" She tallied a checkbox with a flourish of her magic and a wide smile. Celestia noted with some amusement that a noticeable portion of the group rolled their eyes at the action. The sun princess picked herself up and walked into the midst of the crowd, making sure she had found room between Twilight and Luna. "And what is all this, Twilight?"

"I knew you'd be sitting in on Hearth's Warming Eve. I mean, every time there's ever been a party the nobility doesn't expect you to attend you run off to your room and grab up a book and a cup of tea. So I--well, all of us, really--decided that you," Twilight reached up and tapped Celestia on the nose, "need to spend less time around those dusty old books and spend some time with your friends."

Celestia looked around at the room, once again blinking and shaking her head ever so slightly. The faces that stared back at her were a mixture of hopeful and excited. "I suppose I do." She said to herself more than the room at large. This was met with excited chatter and more smiles. It was then that Rainbow Dash flung open the crystal doors and proudly swept into the hall.

"Life of the party coming through! I got our last guest!" Fluttershy settled delicately upon the floor of the crystal chamber, smiling sheepishly.

"Umm...hi, everypony."

Pinkie Pie took this moment to blow a party favour as loudly as she possibly could, and the room exploded into games, chatter and snacking.

------

Celestia wiped a few cake crumbs from her mouth with a lazy hoof, a pair of absurd fuzzy felt antlers positioned atop her head where her crown would normally be. In place of her peytral she had a fuzzy sweater from Granny Smith wrapped around the front of her body, and her shoes had been traded in for fluffy phoenix slippers that Fluttershy had given her. It had been Pinkie's idea to do a gift exchange for the Canterlot ponies, and Twilight had of course set up the whole affair so that Celestia had been forced to accept a wide variety of gifts from a number of friends and family.

Despite her costume change, Celestia coat was kept decidedly cold from some time spent out in the snow surrounding. Making snow alicorns with Twilight had been her first line of action, before Pinkie Pie had burst into an impromptu musical about her desire to build a snowpony, which had rallied the group of royals, farmers, servants and salesponies to the common cause of constructing a worthy pony out of the snow around them. The surprise snowball ambush from Rainbow Dash and Luna had only further coated her in the icy substance.

Now she lay huddled up beside the fire with Twilight, watching those ponies still enthusiastic enough continuing the Christmas festivities. Applejack and Rainbow Dash had since co-opted the field in front of the palace in favour of a great snowball war. Fluttershy was sitting by the tree, talking quietly with Rarity and Luna and periodically gesturing at the ornaments and presents. Spike was gouring himself on leftover turkey. Twilight's eyes stopped surveying the room, having lost focus on the party at hoof. She gave a yawn, then nuzzled up against the Princess.

"The Hearth's Warming Treaty was actually settled in the spring, you know." Celestia smiled absently. "We set the holiday around this time of year to fit with the theme of winter into summer, and because ponies needed the hope. They needed a promise that life wasn't always hard and cold and dark like it is now."

"Mhmm." Twilight squeezed Celestia around the barrel, once again more tightly than she normally would. "I do know my history lessons, you know. You forgot to mention how you co-opted a pegasus holiday about weather and light cycles in order to make them stay part of Equestria."

"Well, it didn't seem right to be so cynical on Hearth's Warming Eve." Celestia smiled, running a wing up and down Twilight's back. "I could always say that you got me out of my room because you were feeling clingy, or because you wanted to "fix" me somehow. But I know that's not true and I know to think better of you than that." Celestia gave a blush, which she hoped to be able to pass off as the fire warming her too much if questioned on it. "I hope you won't be too cynical regarding me when I say that you're my little light in the darkness."

Twilight blushed, giving a quiet whine. "If we get too sappy Spike will throw us out, you know."

"Let him. I'll still have all I want for Hearth's Warming Eve with me."

The smaller pony only shook her head, then sighed and snuggled into the body of her elder. "If we're being sappy, still, I have a secret to tell you."

"You do, do you?" Celestia encircled her wings around Twilight, smiling gently. "And what, pray tell, would that be, dear Twilight?"

"This was just supposed to be a little thing between friends to begin with. I was going to let Pinkie leave you off the party list to start with. I know you like your quiet and I know you like your time to recharge. But Applejack said she wanted to invite her family to the party, and when we asked she had a big speech prepared about why. She told us about how this time of year is when you have to be grateful for what you have, and how it's not about presents or cheesy holiday fun. That was when I knew I couldn't let Shining, Luna or Cadance be left out. But then I got to thinking about how much fun I would really have with my holiday if all I was doing was having a quiet night reading to myself. And then Applejack said it wouldn't be Hearth's Warming without the gifts she was most grateful for there along with her, and, well--here we are." Twilight gave a soft smile over at Celestia. Celestia, in turn, smiled back.

"Happy Hearth's Warming, Twilight."

"Happy Hearth's Warming, Celestia."


***


Up second: Jonesly with a direct continuation of Winter.

***


It was Hearth's Warming Eve in Canterlot. The snow was softly drifting down, blanketing the city in white. The palace was quiet, everyone having been sent home for the holiday. In the private chambers of the Princess of the Sun, two mares were lying comfortably in front of the crackling fire. They'd had a quiet night in and were now settled for the evening.

“Celestia,” Twilight Sparkle began nervously, “I know it's not Hearth's Warming Day, but I have a gift I'd like for you to open.”

“Oh?” Celestia asked. “My gift to you is under the tree downstairs with the rest of the gifts. Do you want me to fetch it for you?

“No,” Twilight replied, “It's just... it's just that this gift is very personal and I was hoping you'd open it in private. I... I don't think I could bear you opening it in public if you didn't like it.”

“Of course Twilight.” Celestia nuzzled Twilight lovingly. “That it is from you is enough already. I'm sure it'll be wonderful.”

Twilight lit up her horn and with a soft pop and a flash of violet light, a small red box wrapped with a green bow appeared before her.

As the purple glow faded from the box, a warm golden glow took over. Pulling the bow apart, the glow opened the lid and pulled out a small green crystal resting on a white cushion.

“What is it?” Celestia asked curiously, “I sense time magic at work and something else...”

“It's keyed to your magic and a name.” Twilight said softly. “Once you give it the name, the temporal magic will go to work, opening a window into the past to see the named pony. The window will shift with time, showing the pony throughout their life.”

“Twilight...” Celestia's eyes widened as she held the crystal. “That is incredibly complex magic. Is this why you've been burying yourself in the archives for the last three weeks?”

Twilight nodded. “I've been working on this since our trip to the cabin, actually. It finally came together last week with Luna's help.”

Celestia's horn lit up as she directed her magic in the base, “Aurora, Aurora Morningstar.” she whispered.

The crystal lit up, projecting the smiling image of a white pegasus, her mane a soft golden color with pink and purple highlights, done up in an ancient style. Her eyes glowed with a mischievous light. She gave the impression that she had just pulled a grand prank and was struggling to hold in her laughter.

Celestia let out a gasp at the image. “That's her. That's my girl. That was the day that she... Oh Twilight, she lived so long ago. I have nothing remaining of her, and now this? I can't even begin to tell you what this gift means to me.” She reached over with her wing and pulled Twilight in tightly. Hugging her as tears started to fall from her eyes. Twilight burrowed into the embrace, wrapping her own wings around Celestia and holding her as tears fell on the floor.

When her emotions had steadied out, a small voice came from beside her. “C-Can you tell me... about her?” Twilight asked shyly.

“I would love to,” Celesita's voice wavered. “Sh-She... had this smirk she would get when she knew she was doing something clever...”

As Celestia started speaking, her voice grew stronger and more steady. Into the night, the two snuggled together, sharing stories of a pony long gone, yet never forgotten. The crystal shone, and through it, Aurora smiled once more at her mother, her gaze full of love and life.


***


Up third: Ultra1437

***


“‘Tia?” a young Twilight looked up at her ex-teacher-turned-mentor inquisitively as they lay sipping hot cocoa in front of a fireplace.

“Yes, Twilight?” Celestia’s head came down to her level.

“Is there anything you would like for Hearth’s Warming?”

Celestia looked down and nuzzled Twilight softly for a moment. After she pulled back, she looked Twilight in the eyes and responded, “Nope.”

“Nothing?” Twilight’s head tilted and her ears focused solely on Celestia.

“Nada.” Celestia’s smile was genuine.

A second later, Twilight was on her hooves running off to the door. “But… but that can’t be true! Everypony wants something for Hearth’s Warming!”

“I’ve already got what I want for Hearth’s Warming, Twilight.” A golden aura surrounded Twilight and plucked her from the ground. She was returned to Celestia’s side and set down, a wing wrapping over her tightly. “You’re here. Luna’s safe. That’s all I wanted for Hearth’s Warming.”

A crash resounded from outside the room. The pair exchanged looks before a voice rumbled the castle. “Darn it! Almost had it that time!

They grinned knowingly. “Well, mostly safe. But it’s the thought that counts.”

Twilight leaned into Celestia’s warmth. “We should probably save the kitchen staff from her.”

Celestia shrugged, but made no move to get up. “Probably. Still, she’ll have to learn to cook sooner or later, might as well be now.”

“‘Tia, we really sh-” Celestia interrupted her by leaning forward and capturing Twilight’s lips in a kiss. Twilight molded against her, the objection lost to the winds.

Confound this infernal kitchen! Have at thee!” a voice rattled the door and windows as it boomed through the room, followed by a dozen crashes.

Celestia’s eyes flew open and she pulled away hurriedly. “Luna? No! Don’t destroy the kitchen!”

Dazedly, Twilight was left behind, a goofy smile on her face. A moment later another crash shook her from her state and she quickly shot out the door after her lover, laughing heartily the entire way.


***


Up fourth: Knight of Lycaeus

***


I’ll admit that when you told me to dress warmly for some Hearth’s Warming preparation I was curious as to what you had planned,” said Twilight shivering as she looked around. “I can’t say I was expecting this.”

The pair had teleported from Canterlot to a cliff overlooking what looked to be a vast field of white. Everywhere Twilight looked there was just white with little distinguishing characteristics.

“I will admit that calling this preparation for Hearth’s Warming was a bit of stretch and somewhat unusual,” Celestia commented as she wrapped her wing firmly around the smaller Alicorn. “I think tradition would have been a better term for it, I have long thought of it as part of my Hearth’s Warming celebrations. It is one of the many things I do before the actual day itself which may have been the reason the term ‘preparation’ is what came to mind.”

“Even if you called it a tradition to come here annually just before Hearth’s Warming, it still seems unusual as to what would draw you to come here every year. Even with our higher vantage point, I can’t see any features that make this place special or different; it doesn’t even match up with any place I can think of as noted to be cultural or historical significant,” Twilight commented as she leaned more against Celestia’s coat.

Celestia sighed slightly, “That is because history no longer remembers about this place, this is a place of great importance, but it was forgotten amidst the annals of history. Ponykind forgot this place and none have managed to find this place again.” Lifting a wing Celestia waved it over the white expanse before her, “It is difficult to see with the current weather, but far in the distance is a tall mountain. That mountain marks the beginning of the lands that were once the home of Ponykind and here just before us is where some Ponies first crossed into the lands we now call Equestria, there are many places where we entered this country from, but this is one of the few that has ever been found.”

Twilight blinked, “Some of us first entered Equestria from here….” Twilight looked around as best she could from her position, but there was little to indicate this place as anything special. “How did you find this place again after the events of the Warming? With the thick snow it would have been difficult to distinguish it.”

Celestia smiled wistfully, “The group I was travelling with across the snowy plains marked a tree that once stood nearby. It was a tall tree and many in my group marked its base with their Cutie Marks, they had wanted to force their stake on the new lands we were to settle. We would not settle here, but we stayed camped here for almost a week before making further progress. Thunderous helped me find the tree again after the Warming had occurred and the Windigos had been banished. For a long time Ponies would come to visit here to see one of the places where we entered Equestria from and for a glimpse of the lands we left behind.”

“So you come here every year before Hearth’s Warming to see the lands you once called home, to see the place where you first set hoof on Equestrian soil,” Twilight said.

“That and more Twilight,” Celestia said as she brought out something thin crafted from wood, feather, and cloth before allowing the wind to catch it and fly off over the vast expanse. “This is an old tradition that had fallen out of favour over the centuries. It is still traditional for Pegasi to be cremated and their ashes scattered to the winds and this is the site that Thunderous chose for his burial. But there is a second part that has largely vanished and it involves small kites like the one I have are created, each kite bears the Mark of the deceased on it; among Pegasi it is believed that the dead are not truly gone, but that a small part of them remains among their loved ones in the world around them. So in remembrance every year Pegasi Clans would gather in specifically chosen locations to release these kites as a symbolic gesture that their ancestors are still remembered. Those highly honoured among the Clans would have many released in their name and it is quite the sight to witness. I come here every year before Hearth’s Warming to release one in memory of Thunderous.”

Twilight watched as the small kite slowly vanish amidst the white, snowy plains. “I can’t even imagine seeing a sky filled with these kites, but it sounds like it was a wonderful tradition.”

Celestia smiled as she lost sight of the kite, “It was quite the spectacle and one I had long enjoyed watching.” Celestia turned to Twilight, “A lot has changed over the centuries and it has been something to watch as traditions were forgotten and later rediscovered. Perhaps this will return again someday, but I think we should return to Canterlot and perhaps indulge in the more recent tradition of sharing hot cocoa on a cold winter’s day.”

PreviousChapters Next