• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,508 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,508

PreviousChapters Next
436. Otherworldly by Silver Scrolls

***

It was a simple mirror. Nothing more or less than any other mirror in any other room. A simple wooden frame in the shape of square with a single pane of glass pressed over a reflective metal sheet. In the reflection was the same pony that always looked back at her. The same white coat with the same violet eyes and the pastel colored mane. There was nothing special about this mirror at all.

It wasn’t the mirror that was special, rather what the mirror reminded her off. In a far off kingdom ruled by her niece was another mirror, a special mirror. In the past it has resided in Ponyville before it had been moved back to it’s home in the Crystal Kingdom. The mirror in question was not like any other mirror in the world. A pony named Starswirl the Bearded had fashioned it into a portal.

The portal led to a dimension he had used as a prison for a trio of creatures known as the sirens. For a time it had been monitored and watched then it was lost. When it returned an old student of Celestia’s had passed through it and made a home for herself in the other world. Again the mirror was forgotten and buried, only the ageless ruler remembered were and what it was.

It would be decades before the old protege came through and stole her newest students crown. This would set of a change of events that would lead to the mirror being moved and the misguided mare learning of friendship.

So goes the story of that mirror. A mirror to another world. All of that makes it a unique mirror but that does not make it special. For something to be special it does not need to be unique, instead it needs a story. The story of this mirror did make it special but there is a part of the story that only two mares know. It goes something like this.

One mare, the ruler of a nation, takes under her tutelage a young promising filly. This young filly lights up her world in ways she never thought would ever happen again. The days they spend together, the curiosity the filly exhibits, it all brings new life to the old castle. For the ruler they are some of her most cherished memories.

But as all stories go when speaking of the young, the filly grew up and left. She moved to a nearby town where she made five wonderful friends. With those friends the world was changed and things the ruler never thought possible begin to happen. And as the ruler watches the mare grow and learn the way she feels changes to.

Her first feelings were familia; which blossomed into a more friendly relationship. This was not enough though and soon her feelings grew warmer and more consuming. She wanted her old student. It was not a primal need but it was a spiritual one. Her heart ached to be closer to the mare, every fiber of her being wanted to stand beside the mare. She had fallen for her and it pained her greatly.

Finally the day came when her wishes came true and the two joined together. There was fear at first but they worked through it and their relationship was stronger than ever. Everypony knew they would someday end up married and rule the nation alongside each other. Not all fairy tales though have a happy ending.

It started simply, the younger mare left the castle and returned to her small town to be with her friends. As the days grew into weeks and the weeks into months bothe mares friends grew worried. After half a year of separation they decided to intervene. Some would call their actions a mistake, others a calamity. Whichever it was does not matter for afterwards the young mare vanished.

This is where the story of the mirror becomes special. The mirror in question is special because it has taken two great things from the same benevolent ruler. Twice has she lost something precious to the mirror and twice has it broken her heart.

Now the ancient ruler sits in front of a normal mirror with no special qualities and she remembers. She remembers the mirror that sits in a storage room in the Crystal Kingdom. Thoughts of the mare she loved and spurned swimming through her mind all because of an otherworldly mirror.

PreviousChapters Next