• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,519 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,519

PreviousChapters Next
258. Trail by Palaikai

by Palaikai

***

Sequel to Daisies

Why are we doing this?” complained Twilight Sparkle. The lavender filly was coated with a film of sweat and grime, and her hooves ached on the rough dirt trail they were hiking.

“Because,” said Shining Armour, cracking a toothy smile at his little sister, “your brain isn't the only part of your body that needs a work-out.”

As they trotted through the forest, Twilight couldn't help but jerk her head backwards every few moments; Canterlot Castle, set into the side of a vast mountain range, was still easily visible despite the distance they had covered. All things considered, spending time with her BBBFF was great – especially as his courtship with Cadance was monopolising his time these days – but she'd much rather be at home.

Close to the library. Close to Celestia.

“Bit for them?”

“Huh?”

Bit for your thoughts,” Shining Armour clarified. His little sister had been oddly withdrawn lately, and part of the reason for dragging her out here was to try and get her to open up to someone whom she trusted. So far, the filly had been traipsing around with a hangdog expression.

“It's … nothing,” replied Twilight with a faraway look in her eyes. She affected a smile. “Where should we set up camp for the night?”

“There's a clearing just up ahead,” Shining said, deciding not to pry. Twilight would tell him when she was ready. Or she wouldn't. There was no sense in pushing her until she retreated further into herself. “D'you think you can get the tent set up while I gather some firewood?”

“No prob'!” With her burgeoning magical power, Twilight lifted the camping equipment from Shining Armour's saddlebags and scampered off to the open area he had indicated while Shining disappeared into the forest to gather up any loose branches he could find.

Having easily finished erecting the tent – Twilight had swallowed every book she could find on camping when Shining Armour had first suggested the trip – the filly decided to do some exploring on her own; really, she was trying to find a good vantage point to observe the castle. Was Celestia in one of the towers somewhere, looking out for her? Given the time of day, it was more likely Celestia was in the towers preparing to lower the sun and raise the moon.

Shining Armour found his sister sitting on her haunches at the edge of a cliff, looking forlornly back at Canterlot. “Twily, maybe you should step back a bit.”

“It's perfectly safe,” she replied.

He sat down next to her, trusting her judgement. “Are you gonna tell me now?”

“Have you ever done something stupid?”

“Have you met me?” He snorted in laughter. “What did you do?” he asked gently.

“I, uh, may have asked Princess Celestia to marry me,” Twilight explained.

What?”

“I was reading a book on botany, and there was a section on the meaning of flowers. I, um, went into the countryside ...” She faltered.

“It's okay, you can tell me.”

“I made a daisy chain for Celestia, intending to give it to her secretly, but she found me before I could finish. I, ah, managed to brush it off as nothing more than a test of my magical power, but I was so embarrassed when it dawned on me what I'd done ...”

“Twily, you're just a kid,” Shining Armour said, putting a hoof around his sister's withers, “everypony has a crush at some point. It's no biggie. I'm sure Celestia wasn't upset or offended, if she even knew the flowers' significance.”

“It's not a crush,” Twilight bit out angrily. “I may just be a kid, but I'm not an idiot.”

“No, you're not,” agreed Shining Armour, pressing his hoof to her nose, causing her to giggle. “Sleep?”

“Sleep,” nodded Twilight, not realising just how worn out from the journey she was until that moment.

PreviousChapters Next