• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 22,354 Views, 13,302 Comments

Three More Things! - Tatsurou



Uncle Chan tries to balance running an antique shop, fighting demons, and being a Chi Wizard with being a loving Uncle to his nephew, his somewhat removed niece...and three little ponies who drive him straight up the wall.

  • ...
54
 13,302
 22,354

PreviousChapters Next
You Win

Augustus slipped Balance Breaker back into his coat, releasing the hilt as soon as he dared. Whether because it didn't like being wielded by anyone but Jackie, or because he hadn't achieved the true balanced state that had allowed Jackie to unwittingly create the blade, wielding it had scorched the inside of his hand near black, sending spasms of pain both physical and magical through his entire arm...but he wasn't about to let that show. Probably the only reason he still had the hand was because that was the hand that had held the Tiger Talisman when he'd unwittingly used it to restore Bi Han from Noob Saibot. Still, he kept the hand clenched shut as he looked over the stunned faces of the gathered audience, staring down at the corpse of their former leader. This was not a good thing. He needed to say something before it became a riot, preferably something that would prevent someone else from taking leadership only to continue the campaign anyway.

"Your Kahn is dead by my hand," he declared firmly, surprised that his voice was magically amplified to be heard throughout the stadium at least, as every head turned towards him as he spoke and silence fell aside from his voice. "I am not happy about this. The only reason I even came here is because it's my job to make sure people like him don't disrupt the Balance of Magic and Mundane in my world that allows our civilization to flourish, and to enforce the Law. I'm not supposed to have to kill to make that happen..." He glanced down at the corpse. "But that doesn't mean I'll hesitate to do so if necessary.

"I'm hoping this man's death means whatever policies he had for how this world is run will be changed...but I'm not holding my breath." He glanced over the stands, seeing how people were holding themselves, whether proud or cringing, and shook his head. "From the looks of things, this world's been run on principles of 'the strong rule and take what they want' for a long time, and I doubt if many here even can conceive of a different way...and that's rather disappointing." Noticing the shocked looks this got, he grinned. "I know the mindset that supports such an outlook. Strength is everything, you can only rely on yourself and yours, to ask for help from others is weakness, and the weak are preyed upon..." He let those who plainly thought of themselves as 'strong' nod to themselves over that for a bit. "But if that's true, then after however long of them being preyed upon like that...how are 'the Weak' still here?"

He smirked as he saw several faces turn stunned at the question, and even more turn thoughtful. "Something to think about. And here's something else to think about: by this world's standards, I'd be considered one of 'the Weak' in my world." As that left everyone stunned, he grinned widely. "That's right. I'm not the strongest of my world..." His mind briefly turned to El Toro and Tohru. "I'm not the best fighter..." He thought of how much easier a time Jackie or Viper might have had coming through this challenge. "I'm not the most powerful..." He suppressed a shudder as he thought of how easily Valmont or Hsi Wu would have brushed aside the fighters that had given him so much trouble. "I'm not the most magically gifted..." Uncle probably could have dismantled the Labyrinth spell rather than track through it, and undone the dimensional weft before it could be established. "And certainly not the most clever, cunning, or dangerous..." He didn't even try to imagine what Jade and the fillies would have done to this place. He wasn't that imaginative. "I'm just a cop doing his job...and I bested those your leader's sorcerer had standing in my path, and then struck them both down with nothing but my training and a few dozen tricks in my pockets." His eyes narrowed. "And I'm one of my world's 'Weak' by your standards. Think about what that says about Shao Kahn's intentions of conquest, and what would have happened to all of you if he'd actually succeeded...and what will happen if anyone tries to do it without him."

Seeing that had the desired effect, he began to turn away only to pause. "Get your shit together, people," he stated flatly. "Figure out how to solve your problems without attacking your neighbors. Maybe, for novelty if nothing else, try asking for what you need and offering something in exchange. You never know, you might actually get what you need while you still remember why you wanted it in the first place..." Noticing an unpleasant scent in the air that he recognized, he wrinkled his nose. "Maybe you might advance enough to develop indoor plumbing...

"But for now, I'm done here," he stated flatly. "I'm exhausted, every joint aches likes an abscessed tooth, my head feels like I've got a knife going in one ear and out the other, and my feet are killing me. I'm going to go home and sleep this off like a bad hangover, and then get back to work." He paused before turning towards the portal. "If I have to come back here because you all have your heads so far up your asses you can't fix things without making your mess my problem, I will be most upset."

With that, he spun back to the portal, his coat billowing dramatically behind him. "And I won't be coming alone if I have to return. The strongest, most skilled, most powerful, most magically gifted, and most cunning I mentioned? Friends of mine, and I won't be happy if I have to get them involved in this...and neither will anyone else." With those words, he stalked calmly through the portal, which closed behind him.

Had it stayed open as much as a moment longer, he might have heard the arena erupt into enthusiastic cheers as many celebrated a change to the workings of Outworld that had been generations in coming.

PreviousChapters Next