• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 22,346 Views, 13,302 Comments

Three More Things! - Tatsurou



Uncle Chan tries to balance running an antique shop, fighting demons, and being a Chi Wizard with being a loving Uncle to his nephew, his somewhat removed niece...and three little ponies who drive him straight up the wall.

  • ...
54
 13,302
 22,346

PreviousChapters Next
Safety

Tohru sat huddled up in his penthouse apartment, paid for by Valmont to give him the best of the best of accommodations so long as he worked for him. A blanket big enough for an elephant was wrapped around him as he sat in front of a space heater, a hot pack on his head and a thermometer in his mouth as he tried to watch TV to relax, flipping through the channels as he tried to keep his mind off his physical state. Still, it had been quite a surprise that as soon as he started sneezing in the office, Valmont had told him flat out to take a sick day. Tohru still felt upset he hadn't had the strength to refuse, claiming he could work through the cold. Valmont hadn't given him the chance to argue, and sent him straight home with full pay for the day.

A massive sneeze tore its way out of Tohru's throat, sending the thermometer flying across the room to embed itself in the opposite wall, alongside no less than 20 others already there. Sniffling, Tohru reached to the side table, fished another one out of a bowl, and stuck it into his mouth to keep track of his body temperature. Reaching to his other side, he jotted down the temperature on the thermometer he'd just embedded in the wall. He figured between sneezes was a good amount of time to get an accurate temperature.

As he pulled his arms back under the blanket and wrapped himself up tight again, he wondered why it was that he was so sick just from being under dressed at the north pole. He'd dealt with more hostile environments than that with just his normal attire without problems, and the shirt wasn't exactly thick or effective at retaining heat. So why was he so weak now?

All unintended, his mind turned back to the weakness he'd dealt with after being merged with Apple Bloom and Audrey III, a weakness he hadn't fully recovered from before the North Pole, since he hadn't felt completely 100% when he was sent on the mission. It had only been a slight headache and some stiffness in his joints...but now he could barely move. Despite his own discomfort, he couldn't help but wonder if Apple Bloom was experiencing a similar weakness. He had tried to take the majority of the burden of the fusion, but...

A knock on his door interrupted his thoughts. Grumbling to himself, he staggered to his feet and over to the door. He looked through the peephole, but saw nothing. Muttering under his breath, he started to turn away, but the knock repeated...far below him. Confused, he pulled it open.

Looking straight out, he still saw nothing until a cleared throat drew his attention downward. Apple Bloom was there, sitting in Audrey's vines and helping him balance a massive Tupperware container that steamed from within, big enough for Apple Bloom to take a bath in. "A-Apple Bloom?" Tohru asked, shocked.

"Sweetie heard from Ratso that you were home sick," Apple Bloom offered nervously. "Ah...ah wanted ta check up on ya. Brought ya some chicken soup and honey-lemon tea."

Tohru blinked in surprise. "T-thank you," he stammered out, stepping back. "Come in, please."

Audrey slithered in on his roots, carrying Apple Bloom, the massive bowl of chicken soup, and two huge thermoses of steaming tea. "Ah made sure to cut the chunks of chicken and vegetables small enough that ya could chew 'em if yer up to it, or just swallow if you'd rather drink it straight down. Same with the noodles."

"How did you find where I live?" Tohru asked curiously as he sat down, letting Apple Bloom and Audrey prepare food and drink for him. "Did you...pick something up from my head?"

Apple Bloom shook her head. "Again, Ratso told Sweetie Belle."

"Why was Ratso telling her so much?" Tohru pressed gently.

"Well, we used the Horse Talisman to get rid of the poison Jackie was infected with," Apple Bloom explained, "so the trade for the antidote instead turned into a sting. Sweetie Belle went up first so she could spy things out, but it was just Ratso, Finn, and Chao. Since she had enough magic to handle all three of them, she asked where you were. Once Ratso said you were taking a sick day, she said she'd give them all a chance to get away if they told her where you lived."

Tohru nodded. He wasn't at all surprised they jumped at the deal. None of them were all that eager to be enemies of the little fillies, now that they were all aware of the fact they were fillies. "But why would she make that trade?" he asked curiously.

Apple Bloom paused in her work preparing the food, letting Audrey finish. "Cause...cause she knew I was worried about ya. So by finding out where ya spent yer sick day, I could come take care of ya."

Tohru turned to meet Apple Bloom's gaze. A slow smile split both their faces.

The soup and tea were both delicious. But it was the company that truly chased away the sick and the doldrums.


As Shendu turned his mystic gaze away from Tohru's penthouse, he brought his attention back to Valmont. "Are you aware of the company your large Enforcer is having on this 'sick day' of his?" Shendu hissed out angrily.

"No, and I don't really care," Valmont responded as he went through some papers, marking down a few details.

"Even if it is the Qi Lin with the dryadic familiar, and said familiar?" Shendu growled out.

"Especially not then," Valmont responded readily. "Ratso already reported he traded Tohru's home address to escape the sting that came of the 'antidote trade'. Apparently, the Horse Talisman is the healer?" He turned and gave Shendu a raised eyebrow.

Shendu seethed in rage, but held it in check. "An oversight that would have been easily avoided had I been informed it was the Horse Talisman. But that does not explain-"

"After what Tohru contributed during the fiasco with the Rat Talisman, I would not hold it against him if he chose to retire tomorrow," Valmont interrupted. "That despite being faced with literal eldritch horror, he still remains loyal to me...I have no doubts about his loyalty."

"And his effectiveness?" Shendu demanded coldly.

"That's a completely separate matter," Valmont continued. "I never hired him for his effectiveness as an Enforcer. I hired him as a bodyguard, and for the intimidation factor of his sheer size. If I want someone who won't hesitate to crush those fillies into paste if that's the order I give, I will hire someone who is willing and capable of doing so. Tohru, Ratso, Finn, Chao...none of them were hired for that sort of ruthlessness."

He smiled softly as he came across a specific paper. A resume, submitted by one 'Black Tiger'. "After all, that sort of ruthlessness is easy to find...so long as one knows where to look."

PreviousChapters Next