• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 22,344 Views, 13,302 Comments

Three More Things! - Tatsurou



Uncle Chan tries to balance running an antique shop, fighting demons, and being a Chi Wizard with being a loving Uncle to his nephew, his somewhat removed niece...and three little ponies who drive him straight up the wall.

  • ...
54
 13,302
 22,344

PreviousChapters Next
Round 8

As Augustus stepped out of the shadowed archway, he knew he was no longer in the labyrinth space. For one, the air felt subtly different, more real than it had in each of the guardian spaces. For another, he saw the same overall structure design that had been visible from outside, complete with a window view down to the roof of a lower level of the temple-like pagoda that the 'tournament' Chang was hosting had been held in front of...and the continued fighting in the distance. From the looks of things, Viper's fight against the succubus had ended and now El Toro was wrestling with someone who appeared to either be a naga or have some naga ancestry, as their lower body was a serpent tail. Despite the obvious advantage his opponent had, El Toro was holding his own surprisingly well.

The big thing that told him he was back in real space, however, was the dimensional weft ritual set up in the center of the throne room like chamber he found himself in, complete with a corpse arranged in a magic circle before the throne...a corpse dressed in rather familiar garb, and with a hand made of green stone that wasn't as decayed or desiccated as the rest of the body. Then again, stone didn't decay like flesh did. "I thought something was off when I heard him clapping," Augustus muttered as he stalked into the chamber towards the circle, intent on breaking it and disrupting whatever ritual was at work.

"Well, you are a little too clever for your own good, aren't you?" a man who appeared to be Bartholomew Chang stated as he stepped out from behind the throne, a wicked smirk on his face as green energy danced between one flesh hand and one hand that obviously wasn't the green stone it appeared to be made of. Even with magic, stone couldn't be made to be that flexible.

"Drop the guise, shapeshifter," Augustus snapped out as he reached into his coat for weapons. "I know you aren't what you appear to be...though I still don't know who you are. I do know what you're trying to do, though. Some warlord from another realm wants to conquer ours, and somehow this tournament will let him make the attempt. That definitely falls under my jurisdiction, whoever you are."

The man laughed as the green light seemed to infuse him, or perhaps escape from him. Either way, his wizened flesh became much firmer as youthful energy seemed to be restored to his body, and his all covering purple robes turned gold and black as they shifted to expose a well defined torso and bare his arms. White hair turned black, his eyes became more piercing, and the green hand became flesh colored as a new man appeared in the place of the form of Bartholomew Chang. "Yes, you thought it was Bartholomew Chang who was the mastermind of this dastardly plot to throw open your Realm to Outworld and the ravages of the Kahn and his will..." he purred eagerly, his voice now much deeper and echoing with power. He then pointed to his chest with both thumbs as he struck a rather exaggerated pose. "But it was me, Shang Tsung!"

Augustus blinked at that assertion for a time, trying to make sense of why he was declaring it so dramatically. "So...are you native to this Realm or an invader?" he clarified. "With all the talk of extending an Invitation, I'm guessing being an outsider wouldn't make that work...and I'm pretty sure there are rules and regulations you're stepping around either way." As he spoke, he began to cautiously circle around the magic circle, trying to get to a more advantageous position.

Shang Tsung's pleased expression turned into a pouting scowl briefly, only to return to a grin as he, to, began to circle. "Oh yes, as a native of Outworld I could not set up something like this myself and have it work...but the tournament itself was already set up when I arrived to take advantage. Once I had absorbed Chang's soul, it violated no rules to tweak things a trifle to make the Invitation more blatant. He sought to mimic Kombat even without my Kahn's influence and interference. A minor change was all that was needed."

"You absorbed his soul?" Augustus asked in surprise as he moved towards the corpse's head as they circled. "Why?"

"A number of reasons," Shang Tsung explained easily, his stance and bearing exuding absolute confidence in his ability to trounce Augustus before he could do anything. "For one, it bound me to him in a way that enabled me to work this ritual. For another, it allowed me to take his form, use his abilities, and granted me access to his memories, much like all the other souls I have absorbed. Far easier to pretend to be someone another knows well when said person is actually a part of you, whether they like it or not." A grin suddenly crossed his features. "I wonder what new tricks and secrets I'll have access to when I absorb your soul, Augustus Black! I overlooked you outside because there seemed nothing special about you, but to have come this far...perhaps you're worth it after all, and hearing and feeling your soul's screams of anguish that fuel my magic will be most pleasing."

"So the souls are still aware and distinct?" Augustus asked in surprise. "That makes this much simpler." Pulling a bottle from his coat, he poured the contents down the throat of the deceased Bartholomew Chang, the magic in the liquid causing it to be absorbed even if the body couldn't accomplish it physically due to being deceased.

Shang Tsung blinked in confusion. "And what was that...?" he began, only to freeze, his face suddenly twitching.

"The actual name of the potion is rather long and difficult to remember, so I just think of it as soul juice," Augustus explained calmly. "When drunk, it puts the soul in charge of the body rather than the mind. It's primarily used in the case of astral projection going awry, possession, contacting and investigating past lives, or to overcome brainwashing which is why I brought it to begin with...but with all those souls inside you and a resonance reaction between Chang's body and soul..."

Shang Tsung clutched at his head as cracks began to form along his skin, green light erupting from them as the souls he had absorbed to fuel his magic - now awakened to their own will - began to rebel, the struggle between them all for control slowly tearing his body apart. "And what happened to only k-k-k-killing if you had to?" he managed to gasp out.

"Oh, you could easily survive this," Augustus allowed readily. "All you'd have to do is release those souls to return to their original bodies...or their place in the spiritual cycle. The only reason that would kill you is if you fought to keep it contained...or if you cast magics that bound you to the power it gave you, but that's on you, isn't it?"

Shang Tsung grit his teeth...and then began to laugh. "A clever trick, Veil Captain...but it will avail you not!" he screamed out as green lightning coursed from one crack in his body to the next. "I had hoped the second death that activated the ritual would occur in the battles outside...or by your hand in your quest to stop it...but if it is mine that requires it, I will accept that! I am a disciple of Quan Chi and a servant of Shao Kahn!" As that name was spoken, the world seemed to shudder. "Even from death, I will return...and your pathetic tricks will do nothing to my Master! Face him if you dare!" Shang Tsung burst once more into laughter...and his body exploded in green light that was sucked into the magic circle, taking shape as a swirling multi-colored portal.

Fujin suddenly appeared at Augustus' side. "No!" he declared in worry and fear. "The gate has been opened, the Invitation extended..."

"Then it's too late?" Augustus asked calmly. "Is there nothing that can be done?"

"The moment Shao Kahn steps through the portal and onto Earthrealm soil, the Invitation will have been accepted, and Earthrealm will be bound to millennia of Mortal Kombat!" Fujin decalred worriedly. "There is no-what are you doing?" His eyes were on Augustus, who began to walk towards the portal.

"So as long as he doesn't cross through the portal to this side, we're safe?" Augustus asked calmly as he briefly looked back. "Then I guess I'll just have to make certain he doesn't." Turning back to the portal, his coat billowed dramatically from the wind flowing through it as he stepped through without hesitation, seeking the foe that awaited him on the other side, the one ultimately responsible for all that had happened.

Fujin stared after his chosen champion for a time, only to shake his head in awe. "They are not paying him enough," he finally murmured in disbelief. He didn't know what pay scale the Veil Captain was on...but for this level of dedication to duty, it can't possibly be enough.

PreviousChapters Next