• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 22,351 Views, 13,302 Comments

Three More Things! - Tatsurou



Uncle Chan tries to balance running an antique shop, fighting demons, and being a Chi Wizard with being a loving Uncle to his nephew, his somewhat removed niece...and three little ponies who drive him straight up the wall.

  • ...
54
 13,302
 22,351

PreviousChapters Next
Preparations, part 1

Once Captain Black had been changed back to a human and sent on his way with an admonishment against experimenting with magic beyond his knowledge, Uncle immediately got to work. While at first this was understandable and tolerated, his intensity swiftly drew the concern of his family. "Uncle, you need to slow down," Jackie cautioned worriedly as Uncle raced back and forth through the library with stacks of books and bags of various comestibles.

"Yeah!" Jade agreed. "You need to chill-" She quickly found her mouth blocked by three warning hooves.

"If I chill, demons will be dancing upon all our graves!" Uncle insisted angrily. "I must research the proper chi spells to seal the seven portals! All required ingredients must be on hand at all times!"

"At least let us help!" Sweetie Belle complained. "All of us!"

However, her timing couldn't have been worse as Uncle spun on them all. "What do you all know of magic of this caliber? I studied under Chi Master Fong for fifteen years!"

"And you've been training us for ten!" Scootaloo insisted. "We can help!"

Uncle blinked in surprise, then rubbed his forehead. "...apologies," he murmured softly. "So much happening all at once, the world in such danger..."

"You felt you had to do it all yourself," Jackie offered comfortingly. "We understand."

"It runs in the family," Jade added teasingly.

"We can all help!" Apple Bloom offered. "Sweetie, Scoots, and ah know yer filing system. Jade's really energetic. And Tohru and Uncle Jackie can do the heavy lifting!"

Uncle sighed softly. "I do not think that will be enough," he muttered. "The fight with Daolong Wong...I am plainly not cut out for this world where magic is the norm, and not closely guarded secrets. I cannot face it alone in battle. The time has come...for me to train an apprentice of my own."

Sweetie Belle frowned as those words left Uncle's mouth. She knew why Uncle was so reticent about training an apprentice, to the point he'd never even officially declared the three of them his apprentices. Training him had been the last thing Chi Master Fong had done before his untimely demise at the hands of a Dark Wizard...who, Uncle did not know. Uncle blamed himself for his Master's death, since he had not been there to help primarily because he had gone to gather the ingredients for the last spell he needed to perfect to achieve Mastery. To Uncle, taking on an apprentice was tantamount to admitting he was done for as a Chi Wizard...that it was time to pass the torch.

Uncle, however, was apparently doing his best to take it in stride. "My apprentice must have sound judgement," he began, listing off qualifiers for the job, "whom I can trust with my chi knowledge."

"Me me me me me!" Jade offered eagerly. "I'll put some focus in your hocus!"

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo all exchanged glances. Considering Jade's reason for being in America in this 'new magic world' was for Uncle to teach her to control her magic, the outcome was almost a given...and likely to be highly amusing to observe, seeing Uncle trying to keep Jade under control.

"Tohru," Uncle declared firmly, causing everyone to gasp in shock. "You have ample reserves of chi that you barely use. With training and discipline, you can become a great Chi Wizard...and in the meantime, it will do you no harm should I need to draw on your strength to power some of my spells when my own strength wanes."

Tohru blinked several times, then bowed his head. "I will not fail you, Sensei," he promised.

"Uh...Uncle?" Sweetie Belle asked carefully. "Are you sure-"

"If this is about Jade's eagerness, you think I have it in me to dedicate another ten years to taming the wild spirit of a child with more magic in her than good sense?" Uncle interrupted pointedly.

"Hey!" Jade complained irritably.

"As entertaining as such things might have been to watch, world is in peril!" Uncle continued. "I do not have time for that! One more thing!" He crossed his arms with a wide smirk. "I think it's my turn to be entertained."

"Huh?" Scootaloo asked worriedly.

"Between the three of you, you have more magic than I," Uncle explained. "One more thing, I have indeed trained you three for a decade. One more thing, your magic is by nature antithetical to demons, especially as you have a special talent for demon hunting that stabilizes your magic auras. As such, between the three of you, I am confident in declaring you one competent Chi Wizard." Stepping beside Jade, he pushed her towards the fillies. "So training her is your job. At least you three should be able to keep up with her."

While Uncle plainly thought this was a brilliant idea, and Jade was simply overjoyed to be getting formal training in magic no matter where it was coming from, Jackie was busy having nightmare images of the four children running amok as 'magic training' turned into a worse disaster for the world than Demon Sorcerers running amok...and for some reason, these nightmare images included tree sap everywhere. "Bad day..." he muttered, burying his face in his hand.

Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he turned to see Viper standing behind him with a soft smile. "It won't be as bad as you think," she offered gently. "Those girls take their magic seriously, and they definitely don't want to disappoint Uncle. They'll keep the little hellion in check. And I'll keep an eye out, too."

Jackie sighed, feeling somewhat relieved. While he still didn't entirely trust Viper or consider a thief - former or otherwise - a good role model for the girls, he did respect her skills. "Thank you, Viper," he offered warmly.

"Come on," she beckoned, tugging him upstairs. "You should get whatever rest you can before you go toe to toe with another demon, and I know just the thing to help relax you..."

Blinking in confusion, Jackie followed her up the stairs to the third floor...much to the amusement of Jade and the fillies.

PreviousChapters Next