• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,317 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,317

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 33: Detective's Turmoil

“Ah, isn’t this nice?” Cheerilee met up with me at last. I had waited outside of the Hay Burger restaurant for about five minutes before she arrived. “It’s so good to be able to kick back and relax after a hard day at work.”

I held the door open, “Indeed,” and we both went inside. “Do you want anything in particular.”

“Nah...I’m hungry as a--well, you know. Surprise me, okay?”

I nodded, and went to order. Cheerilee took a seat at a table nearby. It was pretty nice to be able to relax and eat casual food. Though, I wondered. What exactly did Cheerilee call me here for? Whatever the case, I sure did enjoy my chats with the teacher.

I received two drink cups, one for each of us, and went to the soda fountain. Though, I looked at one of them. There were words written on the cup. Huh? I peered closely at it. It read:

‘Do not attend the trial.’

Okay...what? This had to be a joke. And in rather poor taste too. Who seriously stoops to writing on a cup for something as goofy as that? Whatever. I wiped the marker off the plastic cup and kept going.

After that, I grabbed our tray of food. Three burgers for each of us and a massive order of fries. I knew the schoolteacher would initially be aghast at such an order, but I knew she was plenty hungry.

“Oh my...did you really pay for all of that?” she asked with a very famished look on her face, “I would’ve gone half if I had known-”

I stopped her as I sat the tray down. “It’s alright, Cheerilee. I’m just happy to spend more time with you. But I’m curious--is there anything in particular you wanted to talk to me about?” I started to unwrap one of the burgers for myself.

“Well, for a few reasons. Partially because I wanted to celebrate the approval of Earth Pony lessons at school,” she said as she tried to hold her composure as she ate. I could tell that she desperately wanted to pig out, but did her best to keep her manners in check. It was adorable, and a bit humorous. “And to...talk to you. The truth is, I’ve been worried about you, Pale.”

“Oh?” I took a bite.

“That’s right. You’re always working so hard, fighting monsters, trying to uncover hidden secrets, and not to mention the efforts to save Cozy Glow...I hear there’s gonna be a trial soon?”

I nodded, and swallowed. “That’s right. I realize it could make or break her life. But as Ms. Rights used to say, ‘the only shot you miss is the one you don’t take.’ So I’m more than ready to face whatever I need to.”

The next time I looked up, Cheerilee had already finished one burger, and started on the next. A portion of the fries were also gone. Her cheeks were covered in a bit of ketchup as well. “Ah, I respect that. A good work ethic is what everypony needs. It’s why the Mayor and I are such good friends.”

“You both seem to get along very well so I’m not surprised.” I smiled, and looked down at the wrapper that my burger came in. It too, contained a message similarly to that of my cup from before.

‘Attend, and her life is forfeit.’

‘Her’ life? Now this was a bit concerning. Just who did that refer to? I had spoken to numerous females thus far, so that was not apt enough of a description to go on by itself.

“...Pale? Pale!”

I ventured a guess that she realized I had been staring off into space. “Uh--wha?”

She giggled, “You’d better finish that thing off before it loses its heat. Something on your mind?”

“I...it’s nothing. You are right, though. It is important to have other things to do on the side away from your work. I’ve considered taking up ziplining as well as camping for one.”

“Ooh! I’ve always wanted to go out in the wilderness. Fending off monsters and roasting marshmallows,” she replied in between sips of her drink, “Hey, I have an idea.”

“Oh?”

She nodded. “No matter what happens after that trial...whether you win or lose, let’s go on a camping trip. Let’s bring the Mayor, Tree Hugger, Mrs. Rich, and Limestone! It’ll be a nice little getaway for all of us. You can even bring your detective buddies.”

That sounded...destructive. But I couldn’t refuse a generous offer like that. “Thanks, though you don’t need to trouble yourself with going. I’m sure you’re plenty busy.”

But Cheerilee was adamant. “Even so, you have lots of good friends who want to look out for you. Myself included. We’re all here for you, okay?”

Yet again, she had me in a tight spot. Unable to refute her kindness. She did have a point though. All of what I had endured so far had begun to wear upon me, as much as I tried to ignore it. Maybe it would be nice to take some time off with my buddies and just be our old selves again. I mean, we couldn’t go back to our academy days, but we always had each other. Quick Draw and Corkscrew always had my back no matter what. And I loved them both like dear siblings for it.

“Huh, what a weird message…” Cheerilee commented.

I looked down. By the time we had finished off the fries, there would be some words inscribed on the bottom of the tray beneath the tubers. She read it aloud.

“‘You will suffer dearly if you don’t listen…’? What an odd thing to say.” Fortunately, the teacher didn’t panic. In fact, she saw it as something akin to text found in a fortune cookie. “I guess I’ll be doing my best to listen to other ponies to avoid that, huh Pale?” she nudged me with a giggle.

“Hehe, for sure!” I said with a forced smile.

Okay, I had to take these more seriously now. Clearly, someone was out there--or maybe in here--doing what they could to cancel out my attempts. If I failed to show up at that trial, it would be nulled and my entire case progress would be for nothing. This couldn’t stand. But I obviously couldn’t let Cheerilee know the true meaning behind this. That would send her into a panic. Damn. I should probably back off. If any enemies of mine out there knew who I was close to, it could result in disaster.

We talked a bit more, discussed our hobbies, plans for the future. Both of us agreed that the idea of having children would be ridiculous, given that we both had endured more than enough of such over the course of our lives. Marriage was also a tricky mistress, and Cheerilee stated that she would only get married if it was absolutely perfect. Divorce was extremely common among couples that married after dating for less than a year after all.

Exercise was also important, as Cheerilee stated she would do at least ten pushups each day to counter the fat from the food she ate. She also despised cosmetics, and stated that health was a cornerstone of diet and a good workout routine.

“When you get to be my age, it’s mandatory.”

I chuckled in response. “Heh. Well, you don’t look any older than those Cake Twins.”

“Oh you charmer, quit spoiling me with compliments,” she laughed it off ever so casually.

“I’m serious. Keep at it. You’ll stay looking pretty forever. Even when you’re retired.”

“Thank you, Pale. But I’m not retiring anytime soon. Somepony has to give these kiddos a proper education around here.”

We both laughed some more. Eventually, we finished our food, cleaned ourselves up, and left the diner together. That sauce was a fickle mistress indeed.

“Ah, that was nice. Well, I’m headed home to start planning more tutoring times for tomorrow. How about you?”

I thought about those threatening messages, but played it off. “Hm...gonna head back to my agency. Speak to my friends for a while before heading home. You have a nice day, Cheerilee. And stay safe, hm?”

“Oho, of course! Don’t worry about me. I’m more than capable of defending myself should the need arise,” she shot me a rare, deadly grin that did not suit her face. Akin to an expression Limestone would make. “That’s why nopony has attacked Ponyville in months!” she stated, her face went back to her usual, cheery smile.

I believed her. No, seriously. An army of angry Earth Ponies that could shrug off magic would be an amazing asset to Equestria. And it would ensure that Ponyville would be safe and recognized as more than just ‘the town where Twilight Sparkle’s friends live.’ “That’s right indeed. Alright, I’ll see you soon, okay Cheerilee? Let’s try this out again, sometime.”

“For sure! Bye now!”

And we went our separate ways. Such a nice mare that deserved far more than she received in life. Even so, I couldn’t really be there to provide it all. Mainly due to the fact that I was spread thin as it is, plus there were other options such as--

“Amazing!”

Oh Luna-damn--

Ember followed me out as she scribbled more notes down. “That was adorable! A textbook example of a pony date in action. I’m getting so much of your culture through these interactions!”

“Heh...yeah. Well, I’m glad I could be of help. How did you like the food we ponies eat.”

“Oh? The hay burgers aren’t my thing. Now a gem burger...that would be interesting. Though, I had to admit, the fries were amazing. Almost addictive even. You ponies must have to work hard to avoid getting fat.”

I couldn’t help but laugh aloud at such a revelation. “Ahah! You could say that. Though, we don’t swim in volcanoes and fight each other like you dragons tend to do. Is there anything else you needed?” Deep within myself, I sincerely hoped the former dragon empress would not take to following me around all day. I had work to do. And being distracted by a voluptuous dragon female was not part of the plan.

“Nope. I think I’m good for now. But if I have any more questions about pony stuff, you’ll help me, won’t you?”

“Um…” I thought about it for a second, but she hit me with those downcast eyes. Not unlike that of a dog that begged for its favorite toy. I sighed, and relented. “Fine...but if I tell you I’m busy, then please don’t bother me.”

“Eee! Yes! And I promise. I don’t wanna overspent any boundaries.”

I let out an exhale of relief. That was one less burden for me to worry about. “Good. I’ll be on my way, then.”

“Okay, see you later!”

Finally, I was able to lose her. To tell one the truth, I didn’t hate the idea that Ember felt the need to shadow me. But I was tired. Not to mention, those words. The cup, the wrapper, the tray. Something...strange was going on. Somepony that worked there saw me and decided to place those not-so-subtle messages. I had to figure out what was going on, and fast. Lest I lose my head over it.

So then, my next objective. I headed back to our antique storefront/detective agency to check up on things one last time. Corkscrew was there, and he sprang up with his usual excited expression.

“Boss! You’re back! Nothing to report!”

“Heh, yes I am, buddy. Where’s Quick Draw?” I took a look around.

He shrugged, “She was just here. Went to get something from downstairs. Anyway, I heard you were getting ready for that trial soon. You feeling confident?”

“Absolutely, son,” I replied and gave him a nudge, “If all goes well, Cozy Glow will be released at last, and we can finally expose Equestria’s misguided methods.”

“Pale. Get your flank in the break room,” Quick suddenly shouted from the doorway that led to the hall. “I need to talk to you.”

I tiled my head. Just what could be the problem that she couldn’t explain in front of Cork? No matter. I’m sure it was something important. Or maybe a plan for his surprise birthday party? No, that was months away. “Coming. Be back in a bit, Cork.”

“Aye-aye!” The pegasus saluted and went back to his desk, as dutiful as ever.

I trotted silently after Quick Draw, and joined her in the break room. “So what’s this about?”

As soon as I did, she locked the door. “Listen, boss...I don’t think you should go through with the trial.”

Odd. But not unexpected given what her opinions on the subject had been in the past. Still, I wanted to know exactly why she thought that way. “Uh-huh. And what makes you say that?”

“It’s...gah, do you need me to spell it out? It’s too risky,” she grumbled, and avoided eye contact with me as she looked off to her left. “I can’t bear the thought of losing you in some case that damages your good name, and your credibility.”

Ah, so that was it. I knew that, deep down, Quick Draw cared dearly for my safety. As well as all of us. She just didn’t want me to do anything crazy, but I had to respectfully decline her words. “That’s quite alright. If anything happens to me, I’m prepared for it. You don’t need to worry.”

Then, something completely unexpected happened. Something I never thought would happen in millions of years.

...She hugged me. Quick Draw hugged me. Her voice devoid of any aggression or sarcasm. She spoke in a candid, earnest manner.

“Okay...I can’t hold it back any longer. Pale...I seriously think you should drop this. You have a long, healthy life ahead of you. Trying to undo the wrongdoings of one pony isn’t worth it if you go down in flames.”

I was choked up. Unable to think of what I wanted to say to the yellow-ish mare. “...you really think that? Why haven’t you told me sooner?”

“I was afraid that...you’d leave me,” she muttered with her voice breaking, “I...I need you, Pale. I can’t bear the idea of you throwing your life away.” A faint blush formed on her cheeks.

“...” I had no idea what to say. This was not like her at all. It must have been very serious for her to have broken her normal routine, and speak to me in a whole new way. Was she right? Was I about to throw away everything and risk hurting those whom I cared for with my actions? This was a lot to take in. “...I see…”

All the sudden, I felt her lips press against my own. My heart nearly burst out of my chest. The embrace lasted for mere seconds, but felt like an eternity. “Please, Pale...don’t do anything crazy…you can stay here with me, and we’ll be happy. No matter what happens.”

My head spun. I suddenly felt like gravity within the room had increased twofold. “...Have you...have you felt this way the whole time?”

She nodded with fervor. “Yes! Ever since we met at the Officer’s Academy, I’ve always taken a shine to you. I made a rival out of you because I had no clue how to talk to you. I bottled up my feelings, became bitter, and for years...watched you from afar, cursing myself for never working up the courage to speak to you.”

My mind imploded. That was the reason why she was so cold to me all the time? I had no idea. I always thought it was her way of horsing around. But to know that her emotions were constrained so harshly...it stung. “I...wow.” I had to sit down. Everything had crashed down upon me at that moment. I needed time to collect my thoughts.

Sadly, I was not offered any time to think. Quick Draw had pushed me down onto the couch, and lied atop me. “Listen...I’m not going to force you to think any particular way. I’m just going to show you my true, and honest feelings that I have withheld from you for so long. Then you can make up your mind.”

I felt her nuzzle my neck, and gently nibble me as well. Followed by her tail swaying back and forth in a peculiar manner.

Wait...was she? No. This was wrong. I was not in the mood for such an activity, and Quick was not being herself. Or was she? I didn’t know. But the aura generated by her actions clouded my judgement. Even so, I refused this. “Waaaait a second.”

“What’s wrong? You don’t feel the same way…?” she replied as her voice continued to break. Tears welled up within her eyes.

I shook my head. “No...I’m sorry I…”

And yet, she didn’t stop. Quick was always stubborn. “But...that’s not possible,” she continued as she wiped tears away. “I could always sense it in your heart whenever you looked at me...I know you’ve been hiding your feelings, too. Please be honest with me, Pale…”

I...I didn’t know. Yes, at one point, I may have had interest in her. But that was a very long time ago. At this point, I saw Quick Draw as a work friend, and nothing more. Now, she started to scare me, and I was unsure of what to say next. “To be honest...I don’t feel comfortable, and you’re starting to intimidate me.”

“Pale, please,” she pleaded with desperation, “just give me this one moment. And if you feel nothing afterwards, we can both walk away and forget that this ever happened…”

I felt my ear flick out of pure anxiety. “What do you mean?”

“Just...let me handle everything…” she begged and started to slide down to my lower body.

I felt my skin tingle. For a split second, I felt unable to move or speak. It was...a nice sort of massage, but one that I did not want. Not here. “Okay, stop.” I gently kicked her off of me. “That’s enough. Stop before I toss you out of the window.”

With a thud, she hit the floor. Her eye twitched, and I swore that I witnessed her teeth grind into each other. Only for her to suddenly play it off with a laugh? What?! “Haha...ha! I...I got you, good. That was...a test, yeah, a test, heh.”

What sort of unholy? You know what, whatever. I was getting too old for this shit. “Oh...haha. Good one.”

“Hehe…” The awkward laughter would only continue. She nudged me with a hoof. “C’mon, boss. I gotta make sure you’re on your game or else you’re gonna lose. And it turns out you still got it, so there’s nothing to worry about!” she said with a wide smile.

My head was still spinning. The amount of hormones in the air combined with the frustration I had built up in tandem with the fact that I wanted none of her advances skewed my perceptions. In short, I wanted to die at that moment. “Right...good. Anyway...we should get back to work.”

She walked towards the door while looking back at me. “Right, boss. Let’s finish the day, strong yeah? Haha! Oof!” In doing so, she ran into the door directly since she didn’t pay attention. “Whoops, hehe…” she opened it, and swiftly left the break room.

What the actual buck just happened?

PreviousChapters Next