• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,300 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,300

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 106: Floral Freakshow

Well well well. How the turntables as they say. I had been all over Equestria in the last week to interview individuals who had been affected by Neighsay’s experiments. With four down, and one to go, I was more than prepared to engage the final one. Though I left Cork behind so he could keep watch over Cozy as well as Ponyville for me. You could never really predict the movements of your enemy unless you remained one step ahead of them at all times.

Oh, and the last name on the list? Fleur-De-Lis.

Looks like things had come full circle. I was just as astounded the first time I read the name as I was now. No wonder she sounded so supportive of the old unicorn’s ways. She had been one of his loyal test subjects the entire time. Very sneaky and clever indeed. But what was I going to do?

Well first, I was on the train. I swear, it felt like this thing was my second home at this point with how much I traveled. In fact, I had actually memorized the name of the conductor, the ticket pony, and the attendants that worked on the train. There were even a few familiar faces from ponies, griffons, and dragons whose schedules I had (accidentally) memorized due to seeing them so much. It was a small, yet careful observation that I made for the sake of everyone’s safety should the need arise.

Even as I exited the train car, the conductor stallion asked me a question. “On business as usual, sir? Try not to lose your head out there,” he warned.

I chuckled, and tipped my hat. “If everything goes well, I should be back before the sundown. Just keep the train steamed for me, alright?” I shot him a grin as I stepped off and onto the loading platform.

Canterlot was bustling as usual. Everypony had their noses turned up and were busy minding their own business as they shopped, strolled, and strided like models through the Kingdom’s city. But I had to focus. My target wouldn’t remain in a static position for very long.

The ticket pony at the station waved at me, so I waved in return. Actually, that maya have been more helpful than I realized.

I trotted over to the stand, and addressed him. “Hey, good afternoon. Do you happen to know if Fleur-De-Lis will be doing another...er, show today?” I asked with a mental smirk at my own idea.

He shook his head. “Apologies, sir. But you’re not gonna have much luck talking to her today,” he replied as he sorted some paperwork behind his desk.

“Oh? Why not?”

“Something about being too sick to see anypony. I’m not close to her--nor do I wish to be--so I wouldn’t really know what’s going on.”

Hm...curious. Could it have something to do with the rune? There was only one way to find out.

“Thank you, good sir,” I replied as I stepped away from the station. Now I was on the move towards the hotel. The very same one I had been to all those months ago to get her initial opinion on Cozy. Something about the words of the ticket taker didn’t resonate with me. Why now of all times did she suddenly fall ill? Yeah, I wasn’t buying it. As usual, there was a deeper meaning here that I was ready to find out.

I trotted into the hotel, and approached the front desk. “Hello. I’m looking for Fleur-De-Lis,” I said as I opened a bit of my coat to show my badge. Honestly? Never really enjoyed doing it because it felt like I was asserting my authority. But this situation called for a forceful hoof. “It’s an emergency. Is she available?”

“Sorry, but we can’t--” The pony behind the desk looked up at me, and noticed my jacket. “Oh...well, I wouldn’t recommend approaching her right now since she’s...sick.”

I see. That lined up with what the ticket pony at the train station told me. But something about the way she phrased it made me suspicious. “Oh, really?” I asked casually as I put my coat back into place, “What’s ailing her exactly?”

“Um...I’m not sure,” she replied with a bit of hesitation, “S-she wouldn’t say, ya know? I didn’t wanna bother her since it’s likely that she’s really tired from all of her modelling, heh! You know how it is.” She finished her sentence with a shivering smile.

It was more than apparent that she was lying. But why? What reason could she have to possibly cover up what Fleur is dealing with? Was she bribed? Blackmailed? A ransom? Hm...guess I would have to find out for myself later on. For now, I simply tipped my hat, and went on. “Thank you. I’ll see how she’s doing for myself.”

I went to the hallway, and took one of the elevators up. As I rode through the metallic shaft, my ear flicked. “Hm?” I could’ve sworn I heard some strained noises, but it was probably somepony having a hard time lifting something. I had to focus. This could make or break my entire investigation. The final pony to interview that had been damned by Neighsay’s rituals. But with the knowledge I had of FDL’s feelings toward him, what could she possibly gain from it--if that truly was the case.

“Gah...my head’s spinning. I just need to speak with her as soon as possible, and get this over with. Then I can finally lay this case to rest.”

DING!

The elevator stopped, and its doors opened. I was now on the floor in which Fleur resided. Though unlike the last time I was here, there was no line of adoring fans that waited patiently outside of her door. Hm…

“Let’s see what we got,” I said to myself as I stepped out of the elevator, and into the quiet hallway. It was almost eerie to not see anyone else.in such a public place. But I had my orders. Now which room was she located in...ah. The one at the end of the hall.

I cleared my throat, and got ready to knock. But before I did, my ear flicked again. I was picking up something through the wall. A sense of malice, unbridled rage, and confusion. The same sort of aura that I received from before when I entered the elevator, except it was amplified! I had no choice. It was time to act. I flicked the lever on my kinetic blaster, and readied it.

BLAM!

“CEASE YOUR ACTIONS!” I shouted when I burst into the room, the door nearly broken off its hinges from the force I applied.

And there she was.

Fleur-De-Lis had a devilish sort of magical aura about her. Complete with crisp, purple eyes as she stood in the mirror. Huh. The usual evil color was red, but I guess not this time.

“And here you are,” she said casually as she stood in front of her reflection, “Just like clockwork.”

While this may have answered one or two of the questions I had, it raised loads of others. What was her reason for doing this? How was she doing this? Why was she being hostile towards me? There were so many elements at play here that I needed to relax and think about what she could do.

“You were expecting me then?” I asked, my weapon still pointed at her, “And just why were you working with Neighsay in the first place? Don’t you know who he is? What he’s done to other ponies?”

She scoffed, and rolled her eyes. “Ugh, you commoners. Always overthinking things and trying to find answers where there are none.” She faced me with a posh flick of her hair, “I quite frankly don’t care about him or whatever he’s doing now that he’s imprisoned. All I want is the maintain a monopoly on Canterlot’s beauty standards. So I...made a bit of a deal with him.”

Uh-huh. That didn’t exactly inspire confidence given that her magical capabilities were currently off the charts--whether she realized it or not. “And that deal was?”

“Eternal beauty,” she commented as she levitated a few brushes with her magic to brush her mane and tail, “I’ll never visibly age so long as I wear this magical augmentation.”

Okay then, this probably didn’t have to be as violent as I initially thought it would be. “Listen,” I did my best to explain it carefully, “This power is unstable and it could take you over if you don’t know how to control it. Moondancer is right here in Canterlot, and she can help you retain your beauty without this…” I pointed my hoof at her horn, “funky volatile nonsense.”

“Hmph. As if I would ever listen to you,” she said with a scoff, and turned her head up with her eyes shut, “You’re just jealous that you don’t have a marefriend as beautiful as moi--so you wish to tear me down just like everypony else did when I was little.”

“Wait...what happened when you were little?” I asked out of curiosity. Maybe I could figure out why she accepted this runic seal from the old unicorn in the first place.

But sadly, Fleur was uncooperative. She opened her eyes, and glared at me with a powerful flash of purple. “Wh--forget that! You have ten seconds to leave my room before I call security, and have you arrested for breaking and entering!”

While that last bit about her personal life was interesting, and could probably explain why she was doing all of this, I didn’t have any more time to waste. If she refused to level with me, then I would have to take matters into my own hooves, and bring her in by force if necessary.

“This is your final chance to cooperate,” I snapped back, “But if you fail to keep a handle on that rune, you will become a hideous demonic beast!”

“...!” That must’ve got her attention. She revolted, dropped the brushes, and nearly backed into her dresser. “Y...you lie! There is no way somepony as beautiful as me! Could ever become a disgusting beast!” Despite her words, her rage riled up the power behind the symbol, and started to transform her body in subtle ways. Her ears became fuzzier, teeth became sharper, and her horn grew a bit longer. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to let me know that this experiment really did affect her.

“Look at yourself,” I commanded as I pointed at the mirror behind her, “You’re already succumbing to your inevitable fate. Let us help you.” I spoke more softly now because I didn’t want to aggravate her or this newfound power that she had building up inside of her. So I approached her slowly, gingerly with my hoof outstretched to offer her that chance. “Come on, it’ll be alright…”

For a moment, it seemed as if she was willing to listen. She put one of her hooves out, and slowly reached it towards me. But it was too late. The rune had already overtaken her body, and she lashed out instead. “NO!”

Before I could blink, she levitated me into the air, and shoved me into one of her closets! “Yahhh!”

“I have no time for this!” she growled, “I have a photoshoot in Ponyville to attend! I will not be denied by some filthy lowlife that can’t understand beauty!” And with that, I heard galloping hooves race away from the room.

It took me a moment to wade through the loads and loads of articles of clothing that were in there. But after a while--and pushing a dress off my head--I managed to get out of that closet. “Yeech. Thing is so big you could almost use it as a parachute.” My ear flicked again.

FDL’s aura was on the move. But where? I got up, and ran to the hotel’s balcony.

“Oh shit…”

She had already made her way onto the train down below. There was still time as it loaded up with passengers. Though, by the time I took the elevator and ran down, there was no way I would be able to catch up. Not unless I just jumped or something. But if I did that, I’d have no method of controlling my descent.

Unless…

“Ugh, this better not kill me.”

PreviousChapters Next