• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,289 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,289

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 101: Dark Flower

So Cork and I made our way down to the Commercial area of Ponyville where the shops were located. One such shop was a clothing store named ‘Hot Trottic.’ How interesting. From the outside, it looked like any other clothing store. But when we looked at the windows, we saw shirts, coats, hats, and other items all with pentagrams, horns, and other demon-like imagery plastered upon them. We also saw fishnet bodysuits, chokers, bracelets, and generally anything one would associate with the ‘counterchic’ culture. Interesting, but not what we were here for.

“Wow...things are a lot different now then when I first came here,” Corkscrew said with his wings that flapped with a bit of excitement. “I don’t even know where to start.”

I walked onward. “We start by doing what we came here to do. Nothing more, nothing less. Don’t get distracted.”

“Right, right. I understand boss…”

And so we walked inside. Once in there, we heard light rock music in the background as we waded through the shelves of dark, creepy clothes on the shelves. There was nopony at the counter, so we were lucky enough to meet the pony at the register. A unicorn mare that was busy filing her hoof with magic, dressed in equally dark clothes and eye shadow.

“Um, hello. Is Inky Rose available?”

She didn’t look up from her hoof when she replied. “She’s like...on break or whatever. Just wait like, five minutes or whatever.”

I looked at Cork, and shrugged. Guess we would have to wait this one out.

And so we waited…

And waited…

And waited…

Yeah it was pretty awkward overall since all we could do was stand there in a shop that clearly didn’t feel like we belonged there. It was strange. This sort of underground style of culture was not something I was familiar with. So hopefully--

“Are you guys like, narcs or something?” the mare behind the counter asked us.

“Wha?” I tilted my head and looked at her with a confused expression.

Corkscrew had to clear that one up. “Narc, boss. It’s short for narcotics officer.”

My ear flicked. Now I was even more confused. How did that make any sense? “Wait, what? How does that work? You just shorten one word and it represents two?” I pushed my hooves together to emphasize, “This must be a new gen sort of thing.”

He shrugged. “Ehh, it’s an easier way of labelling things. Anyway,” he turned to the mare at the counter, “Nah, we’re not here for any substances. Most ponies know what they can and can’t use so that’s never really been a problem for us.”

I went on. “He’s right. We’re here because we believe Inky Rose could potentially be in danger based on some evidence we gathered from a pony that is currently under arrest.”

The clerk of a mare stopped her magic, and put the file away. “Woah. Why didn’t you say so? Head in the back to her office and when she arrives, I’ll send her your way, kay?” Her facial expression didn’t change, but her tone became more concerned once she realized what business we had here.

I was grateful for it, and replied with a nod. “Alright, then. We’ll head back there, and wait for her. Thank you, miss.” I tilted my head in the direction of the hallway, a silent method to let Cork know to follow me once more.

And he did, but he had his left wing hold a pencil while the other held a notepad that he scribbled in. That kid really knew how to take after me when it came to notation for sure.

Thankfully, the latter side of the building was normal-looking. I was going to surely be creeped out if the entire place, all the way to the offices, had weird diagrams and demon-like decor. It had started to frizzle my tail a bit.

“You alright boss?” Corkscrew asked. He must have noticed my discomfort. “You’re looking kinda...pale, hehe.”

I rolled my eyes. “Very funny. Naw, I’m fine. I just...this stuff kinda gives me a strange vibe, you know? As if it’s a type of style that isn’t even of this earth.”

“I know, it’s not for everypony, that’s for sure,” he replied, “But try and relax. I’m sure Ms. Rose isn’t as creepy as the stuff she sells, right?”

A few moments later, the tall, slender pegasus mare in question trotted in from the other end of the hallway. She looked like she hadn’t aged much, but that could have been because of the extra mascara applied below her eyes. Anyhow, she had on a jet black hoodie with red summon markings all over.

“Inky Rose...has arrived,” she greeted us dryly, “what do you both like, want?”

I wanted to shake her hoof, but I wasn’t sure how she’d react, so I didn’t approach her just yet. “Um, right then. Would you mind letting us into your office so we could explain the situation to you? Privately.”

Her dull, violet eyes hid any and all sorts of emotion. This one was hard to read, that was for certain. “In private, huh? Fine,” she replied in a curt manner. She opened the door to her office, and left it wide for us to enter.

So we did.

Corkscrew and I both sat down in the chairs in front of her desk. We began to explain the situation to her, including why we were here. After which, I leaned forward to fish for an honest answer.

“...and that’s the last of it, ma’m. So my question for you is: Did you really approach Neighsay for assistance, or did he get you involved.”

Her eyes blinked like a slow pair of shutters before she gave a response. “...I wanted to get in touch with my inner demons. He said he could help. So I took the offer. Nothing bad has happened,” she explained just as bored and dry now as she did before. Guess she was rather annoyed that we would press her about such a thing.

Corkscrew did his best to explain the situation. “No, no, we’re serious about this. According to Neighsay, that rune he’s embedded in you will cause major damage if it isn’t controlled properly.”

“I can control it,” Rose replied, neutral as ever.

“How do you know?” I asked, “There’s no way to tell for sure if you can actually handle it until something bad happens. You could turn into an uncontrollable beast of destruction. Is that what you want?”

But unfortunately for us, Madam Rose wasn’t going to listen so easily. “Then I’ll deal with it myself. If I become some crazy demonic monster, then I’ll be the only one inconvenienced.”

What? Was she insane? Did she have no regard for her own life? And for the record, it most certainly would affect those around her. An untamed beast would most definitely hurt everypony around them without even trying. Luckily, Cork condensed my long-winded rebuttal before I could get it out.

“Uh...no, actually. It will, ma’am. If you became a monster, you could end up hurting other ponies around here. I don’t think you want that,” he protested, and leaned forward to put his hooves on her desk. “We’re dealing with a stallion who has endangered the lives of so many others with his ego. Do you want to be a part of that? Do ya?!”

The two pegasus ponies stared each other down. Inky Rose’s eyes and lips remained completely flat throughout the silent interaction. Corkscrew’s eyes twitched as he did his best to keep up the gaze.

“Hmph. I guess not.” She finally replied, “So what do you want me to do?”

I grabbed Cork, and sat him down in the chair. I looked at him for a second before I addressed Madam Rose again. “We want you to go see Moondancer. That’s all, really. Once there, she can figure out what exactly is contained within the rune that was placed on your neck. Alright?”

She got up from her seat. “This better not take me long. I got a ton of super important business to conduct with other mortal beings that desire my summoning skills.”

Cork and I exchanged a glance. That was surprisingly simple, but something felt off. As if I still had to deal with somepony that was following me. Were they really that brazen to tail my every move? Gah. Guess it couldn’t be helped, honestly.

So we escorted Inky Rose out of her shop through the front door. But as soon as we were back outside, I felt that eerie presence creep up again. Once more, like before: It wasn’t a particularly strong or threatening one, but it was still a thorn in my magical-sensing side all the same.

“Boss, you alright?” Cork asked me again, “C’mon. If something’s on your mind, you need to talk to me about it.”

“Alright. But it’s nothing major. I just have this gut feeling that somepony is following me.”

One of his ears flicked. “Somepony like who?”

Just before I could explain, I was interrupted.

“HAHA!” In a flash of smoke, the Guidance Counselor from the School of Friendship appeared in front of us. Also known as Trixie. “So, Mr. Vestige. You’re not getting involved in anything where you shouldn’t are you?” she stepped forward with an eyebrow raised.

I put my hoof to my forehead. Was the universe simply out to waste my time as always? But admittedly, I could respect it. She was just doing what she had been instructed to do by Starlight and Twilight, after all. So I couldn’t be that upset with Trixie.

“I’m simply doing what I was assigned, Trixie,” I replied with an eye roll, “I’m not getting involved with you-know-who or whatever.”

She leaned back, and nodded. “Good. But don’t think I’m going to let up so easily. I’ve been keeping an eye on you since last night, and will continue to do so whether you like it or not,” she said with a sly smile.

My face immediately turned red. I had no idea what to say. In fact, I was unsure if I even wanted to say anything in that moment.

From behind me, I could hear Cork speak to Rose. “Um...we should get a move on. We don’t need to see this.”

Sadly, she wouldn’t budge. “Nope. Awkward moments like this are food for the soul. I’m staying to see how this turns out.”

That’s when I heard Cork’s hoof make contact with his forehead.

Somepony end me.

PreviousChapters Next