• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,279 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,279

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 162: Preparing For The Worst

After the strategy meeting was over, we were all instructed to return to our homes to prep, and get ready for whatever was thrown at us. On the train ride back to Ponyville, Corkscrew asked me a rather poignant question.

“So boss...how long do you think it’ll be before they realize that that magic isn’t really--”

I cut him off. “Shh. I know.”

“...Wait,” the mental gears turned within his head. By now, Corkscrew must have finally figured out the truth behind that “magic” that I had absorbed and gave to everyone else. “Yo…” His face went from confused to gritted teeth with bated excitement. “YO! You played everyone like a damn fiddle, boss!”

I rolled my eyes and put my hoof against my forehead. “Listen...don’t glorify my plan. If all goes well, this should allow everyone to fight with what they’ve always had. Sometimes a little persuasion goes a long way.”

“And by persuasion you mean subtle deception to get everyone to realize that they shouldn’t follow what they think, and go with what they know?”

Grrgh. There was no comeback for that. In a way, I did somewhat deceive the others so that they could mentally fortify themselves for the upcoming battle. I didn’t feel good about it, but it was a necessary evil to make things go more smoothly.

“You could say that,” I replied as I looked down at the floor of the speedy train car.

Then I had to think about it some more. Twilight’s stratagem for the invasion. Thing was, we had no clue when the enemy would strike. We were currently at the mercy of a random, surprise attack if we weren’t careful. So we were all advised to stand by and report anything suspicious. If anyone were to arise, we had the authority to fight back for the safety of those around us.

I guess my sense of guilt was obvious. Corkscrew was able to tell exactly what I had thought about in that moment. “Boss...you think we’ll be able to save Quick?”

My response was delayed. But I eventually spoke up about it once I had my thoughts gathered. “I...I don’t know, friend. Twilight said it was a Zebra-esque curse that could be cured if we figured out who cast it and had them undo it.”

“Ah...that’s the part you’re worried about. Won’t be easy, huh boss?” He sighed. “I’m worried about her too. But do you think you’ll be able to do it without the weapon Miranda gave you?”

I shook my head. There was no time to fret over something like that. “I can rebuild that gun if I so choose. An heirloom is nothing compared to the memories you have of somepony. Besides, I know that I’m more than capable of bringing down whatever stands in my way.”

Cork shot me a grin. “...And I’m more than capable of standing by ya, boss.”

His words comforted me. I adored it. But to be quite honest, I had no real idea if I could save Quick. Granted, I also knew that she’d lose her mind if I focused entirely on her life rather than the lives of everypony else at stake. I could already hear her in my head with quips such as:

“Don’t you dare let your emotions get to you.”

“You know I’m tougher than this.”

“I couldn’t be killed if I tried.”

It was both comforting and saddening. But alas, there was no time to let that stir in my head. I had to go over the battle plans with Corkscrew before we made any moves.

We got off the train once it reached Ponyville, and headed back to our office. There, we sat across from each other at my desk to discuss what was to occur next.

“Okay so what do we know?” he asked as we looked over some documents.

I reiterated what Twilight said to everyone in that room before we left. “Essentially, everyone has been ordered to let everyone in their homes know about the impending threat. Babs went home to Manehattan to inform the mayor of that city, Lightning Dust returned to Las Pegasus to inform Flim and Flam, Moondancer will take care of Canterlot, you will fly up to Cloudsdale, and I will inform the Mayor of Ponyville.”

“Alright--wait,” he held up a hoof, “What about the Empire?”

“Knowing Twilight, she’s probably already contacted her extended family in that region as we speak. I also wouldn’t be surprised if she’s also contacted Celestia and Luna by now as well.”

The pegasus hesitated for a second before he nodded once. It was if he was pained mentally from the mere thought of engaging in a full blown armed conflict. “...Understood, boss. I’ll get right up to Cloudsdale right away. You get over to the Mayor.”

Before he left, I gave him some parting words. “Cork. Don’t worry yourself. We’ll get through this, and your family will see just what a great stallion you’ve grown into after all this time.”

Cork was just about to spread his wings and take off before he paused. “...pfft. Don’t worry about that, boss. If they didn’t care about me before, I don’t give a crap if they care now. You and Quick matter more to me than any of their approval.” He didn’t even allow me to get another word in before he took off. Had to respect that kid.

Next, it was my turn. I left to head for the Mayor’s office. It was a rather uneventful walk, and I was lucky enough to get there during her downtime. She was able to see me rather quickly. Ms. Inkwell directed me to her office in the back of the Town Hall.

Once there, I gave her the gist of the situation.

“...and that’s what’s happening. Needless to say, we need everypony who can fight to be ready at any moment. Those who can’t fight need to stay within the safety of their homes and barricade themselves in their cellars until the coast is clear.”

The Mayor was rather deft to understand the position we were in. “I see. Okay, what I’ll do is formulate an alarm signal to let everypony know to flee or fight as soon as we see a monster. Anything else, sir?”

Huh. That was rather...quick? I didn’t know how to describe it, but for whatever reason, I genuinely expected some pushback from her. “Er...that’s all? You’re not going to question me or anything?”

“Why would I?” she asked with a confused, concerned gaze, “You’ve more than proven yourself to be a trustworthy pony. And you’ve stuck to your therapy according to Inkwell’s recorded analysis. Overall, you’ve shown that you can be taken for your word. And if it’s Twilight giving this order, we’d be foolish to ignore it.”

That was good to hear. Despite all of my shortcomings and missteps, I was happy to know that I could still get a message across and be taken seriously without concern for being taken for granted when lives were at stake. The last thing we needed was more unnecessary bloodshed.

“Thank you, Mayor. If anything else comes up, I will be sure to report to you.” I was about to get up from the seat across her desk, but she stopped me with her words.

“Wait, one more thing, Pale. Cozy stopped by earlier and asked if she had seen you. She wants to speak with you about something. About Tartarus, I believe.”

I felt a cold sensation travel up my spine. “...Thank you. I’ll go see her right away.”

What could this be about?

PreviousChapters Next