• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,300 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,300

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 136: With A Loving Family

All in all? That was an amazing party. My crew and I all exchanged gifts and tales of our troubles over the past few months. In fact, each one of them had something interesting to say about their own exploits, so naturally I gave them each time to speak. We were all excited, to say the least.

First, was Flash Drive.

“I’m sure you’re all aware of the issues in South Zebrica regarding the tension between Zebs and half-Zebs, yeah?”

We all nodded silently.

“You’ll be happy to know that I’ve secured a bit of a treaty between the Trottingham and Casabronco. They’re looking into talks between Maretania and South Zebrica.”

Neon, the most concerned out of all of us, spoke up first. “What’s going on in Maretania?”

Drive sighed. “Some possible corruption and coercion with some not-so-lovely individuals.” He perked up with a bright smile. “But fret not. Progress is being made. It won’t be easy, but we’re on our way to getting half-Zebs the treatment they deserve. Until then, other halfers like myself have taken refuge in many locales within Equestria.”

All of us were relieved to hear that. In the end, nothing mattered more than seeing everypony being treated fairly. Ponies like Flash Drive were lucky enough to escape the problems that came with his homeland since his parents lived nearby in Equestria. But many others weren’t so lucky. That was a noble effort from him, and one that I could ultimately respect. Once I was back to work, I would help out wherever I could.

Next up was Corkscrew.

“Yeah, I’ve been doing a whole lotta work in and out of the field. But most importantly,” he said with a small, yet cocky smirk, “I’ve been handling witness programs for those that want to start a better life. It’s been hard but...I’ve managed.”

Quick Draw stopped drinking from her cider to ask something. “Really? Even without Pale or my help? That sounds crazy, even for you.”

He folded his hooves as he hovered in the air. “Oh no, but it is. In fact, I’ve started to help out various individuals from Suri Polomare to Lightning Dust--with Pale’s permission of course,” he pointed at me.

I chuckled. “Hehe. And how’s it going for them? Anything to report?”

“Lightning Dust in particular has gone through some rough times, but she’s doing okay,” he explained, “And Suri Polomare is actually working well at her odd jobs to make money. I was surprised, but it really does feel like she wants to turn her life around. Though she does have a bit of a…” he put his hoof to his chin, “...’internal’ conflict that prevents her from realizing her full potential.”

Part of me wanted to desperately ask, so I took that gamble. “...And that conflict is?”

I was hit with a rather expected answer. “Classified. But what I can tell you is that she needs to work on self-deprecation.”

Ah...that fickle thing that nagged everyone in existence at some point. Understandable. I was honestly floored at how well he had done his job so far. Cork was always the quiet, precocious type at the Academy. To see him here, now--able to hold his own as he held his position. To say that I was proud was an understatement.

Next was Quick Draw.

What would be particularly interesting about this would be to learn just how much she had grown without me over the last few months. Given her own...complications, that is.

“There’s not much to say, honestly,” she admitted, “I’m really just glad to be here with all of you since I’ve made my own share of mistakes. It’s nice to know that there are ponies in my life who accept me for who I am.”

“Indeed,” I replied, “We all care about you, Quick. And we don’t want you to lag behind or feel as if you’re forced to do anything you dislike. That’s what holidays like these are for--to help us understand what we should do with ourselves as we break free of the problems that hold us down.”

Guttersnipe was next--as she interjected.

“Yeah, he’s right. Lately, I’ve been working with Neon on funding the work behind prosthetic research.” She flapped her metallic wings, “Eventually, we’re gonna make it to where everypony with a fake limb can still feel and sense things as if it were their own original body!”

Neon was next as he branched off of that point.

“Indeed,” he said as he flexed his right, fake hoof, “The whole goal is to restore a fair life to the lads and ladies who were dealt a bad hoof such as myself. The Batling Family is focusing mostly on the research--which I’m helping to fund. While Gutsy is…”

The red pegasus smirked proudly. “Advertising, word-of-horse’s-mouth. That kinda stuff. The business has been doing so well for the ponies that have lost their limbs. And the occasional griffon too! Though the claw-like tech still needs work…”

All in all, it was a nice little experience to have. To be able to shoot the breeze with my friends was something I hadn’t done in a long time. This Hearth’s Warming had shaped up to be the best one yet. I was also extremely grateful to receive gifts from them.

From Neon and Drive, I was given a hoof-knitted coat that resembled the detectives from the previous centuries. I loved it simply for how delicate, yet sleek it was. In exchange, my present to Drive was a new saxophone. I knew he tended to practice in his spare time and was looking for a new one. The look on his face of sheer joy was a rare, yet lovely sight to behold. And for Neon, his present was simple: a basket filled with the elusive dragonfruits. Hoofpicked straight from Neigh Mexicolt by my own...hoof. His eyes went beady as he chittered with grateful glee.

Next, I received a telescope from Guttersnipe. A fitting thing to get since I did enjoy observing the stars every now and then, but never considered getting one. In return, I gave her a set of weights because I knew how much she loved to train herself to compensate for her artificial wings. Needless to say, she was floored, and did her best to hide her heartfelt reaction as she thanked me.

Quick Draw was next, and she offered me a simple wrapped box. Inside was a mug that read, ‘World’s Best Detective.’ Wow. To be frank, I did not feel I deserved such a title, but I happily accepted it. And in return, I gave her a full subscription to the Depserate Housemares book series. It was a secret interest of hers that only I knew about, so I decided to take advantage of it. She was flustered at first, but accepted without hesitation.

Last but not least, I gave Corkscrew something that I found very important to both him and myself. My old pair of Night Vision goggles that I no longer used. Since he constantly flew around, he would certainly gain more use out of them than I. He nearly cried tears of joy at such a personalized present, and in return, he gave me...his grandfather’s dog tags?

“...Cork, are you serious?”

He nodded. “He was a key part in the force that trained Miranda Rights. It’s only fitting that I give this to you now. I felt it was the right time to tell you since...he made sure that we both were able to grow up strong. Even if he wasn’t around to see us.”

...Of course. It all made sense now. Her keen sense of justice. Her unwavering desire to right wrongs and keep everypony safe. It all came from Corkscrew’s grandfather--Pneumatic Bolt.

Upon learning this, I was floored. I started to sob as I clutched the tags to my chest. I put my hooves around him in a tight hug. “...You’re the best you know that?”

“Heh...don’t get all mushy on me. But you’re just as cool too. Happy Hearth’s Warming, Pale.”

“...Happy Hearth’s Warming...everyone.”

PreviousChapters Next