• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,288 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,288

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 67: Zebrasive

“Half...zebra? That is most curious. Has that affected your life in any major way?”

“Well...for one thing, me mum had to venture out pretty far. She was from Trottingham, just like meself. Loved explorin’. The USB Drive family was one of the first sets of pony explorers to venture outside of Equestria--stands for United Searchers of Betterment. Others included the vikings and such, but that’s not important.”

I noticed Cozy Glow start to take notes. Just what was she after, scribbling away like that? Between every line of dialogue, she looked up to make sure Flash Drive was still talking.

I already knew of my buddy’s life story, so I decided to inspect the table that Flash Drive had been working on. Though my ear was still open.

Tempest had chosen to sit down on the floor as she listened. I was surprised to see that. Nopony tended to hear his long, drawn-out explanations. “Oh? I’ve lived most of my life outside of Equestria. But I never knew that other ponies ventured out in such ways. Tell me more.”

“Alright, then. Listen up, and I’ll tell ya,” the dark-colored unicorn also sat down, and used his magic. The cyan aura reached for and picked up a special book from nearby. His journal. Or rather, his mother’s journal that now belonged to him. He opened up the first page. “So, as I was sayin’, Trottinites were super deep into explorin’. For hundreds of years, the Trottish made their way across various lands in pursuit of knowledge, new foods, new lands, and meeting new ponies--or any other races they could come across. You know of Farasi, yes?”

Tempest nodded. “Yes! That’s one of the Zebra countries, correct? I believe a local Zebra is actually from there.”

“Zecora, yes,” Drive answered, “However, my father was from a different, adjacent Zebra nation: South Zebrica.”

“Oh? I haven’t heard of that one,” Tempest replied with admittance of guilt. For a traveler, I suppose she felt inadequate for not knowing as much as possible. That didn’t stop her from perking up about it, though. “What’s the culture like? How does it differ from Farasi?”

“In a few ways. For one thing, it’s a Zebra land that lacks many of the traditional elements of Zebra culture and goes for a more...melting pot approach. The Trottish and other settlers were accepted by the Southern Zebra tribes. Though...it wasn’t all pretty.”

The purple unicorn tilted her head. “Why not?”

Flash Drive sighed, and turned to another page in his mother’s journal. “...crime. Crime is overly abundant in the lands of the Southern Zebs. The exchange of many valuable resources were a key part in understanding each other. The Zebs offered up potions, hexes, and voodoo inspired texts while the ponies offered knowledge of fishing, industrialization, and landscaping. Soon, both cultures thrived as a result of cooperation.”

“That sounds amazing, but...I don’t quite understand,” Tempest replied with concern in her voice, “From what you’re saying, it sounds as if everypony is getting along well.”

Flash Drive shook his head. “Not entirely. Do you know what happens when two cultures mix together? Its people/creatures/ponies mix together. Resulting in half-breeds like myself.”

“Whatever could be the problem? I think crossbreeding between races shouldn’t matter so long as both parties love each other. You are a living example of it, are you not?”

“I am...but to this day...there are problems among the races. I’ll read you a direct excerpt from my mum’s journal. It follows:...”

“The South Zebrican council is still very pushy to this day. The half-breeds of pony-zebra mixes are still often considered ‘less-than’ by the actual zebras that live here. In response, the half-breeds have started a revolution to fight for equality within the nation. Myself? I don’t know. I love the culture here, and so does my husband, but the constant fighting has made it difficult to raise our child. We’re going to move back to Trottingham in a few days. I hope Zeke likes it there.”

A painful tale to listen to. It never got any easier for me to bear, personally. Conflicts within the Zebra lands, while tame, were still very volatile to the overall culture of the varying nations. I chose to remain silent, and let Flash Drive explain the rest.

“Oh dear…” Tempest was saddened by the explanation that the jet black unicorn gave her. “So...the crimes that are committed…?”

“Organized, madam. Every so often, kidnappings take place in which a half-breed is stolen from their home, only to be sold off to Farasi or other lands. Takes ages to find them--rarely in good condition. Not to mention rioting, theft, slander.” Flash Drive paused for a moment to catch his breath. Honestly, I was proud of him. This was a story that he didn’t share with just anypony. “But it’s gotten better recently...though I fear the idea of going back and meeting the folks on me dad’s side.”

True indeed. Every so often, we had a case in which a pony was taken from their home with hopes of a high price being fetched for them. Time and time again, we come close to these demonic bastions of hatred, but to no avail. We did tend to recover the prisoners...most of the time. Some of which were even children. Sad.

“So...because of where you came from, you tend to shy away from these details with most ponies, I assume.”

Drive levitated the journal back onto its nearby shelf. “Indeed. S’not something I care to share often. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ashamed of being a half-breed, myself. I’m ashamed of the way my ancestors have chosen to take it upon themselves to stir up conflict, rather than solve it.” He sighed, “Conflict among the races is more quiet, nowadays. Southern Zeb lands are much more open to other kinds. Just have to be careful about who you come across when night falls. Potion makers and voodoo experts are either very helpful or very dangerous.”

“Do you ever wish to return?” Tempest asked.

“No,” he shook his head, “At least, not yet. My mum and dad are living in Trottingham now, and have escaped those little conflicts for whole new ones. But I’d never abandon them.”

She reached out and put a hoof around his neck. “Well I’m sure they’d be very proud of you. I honestly wish I could still see my own parents. But that aside, what’s it like?”

“Erm…” Flash Drive gently removed himself from her grip, and tilted his head. “What’s what like, madam?”

“Being a half-breed!” Tempest suddenly cried out. Now that was unexpected. I never would have pegged her for the researcher type. “Moondancer is helping me catch up on Equestrian culture after having been away for so long. So not only would I be able to learn about half-breeds, but this could be very useful for her studies, and such.”

The unicorn stallion chuckled. “Hah! How inspirational. Sure, I could. But there’s not much to state. Outside of being able to speak and read the Zebra language, I don’t have any other abilities. Though, I guess I do have extra muscle. My father was rather...hefty, if you catch my drift.”

“Really? Are Zebras bigger than ponies?”

“Well…heh…” he had that nervous sort of grin on his face, “It’s...yes. Well, Zebras can grow to be much larger than ponies. Stallions especially. My father easily comes up to Celestia’s chin from stature alone. Even now, the old man isn’t losing his prowess.”

Tempest started to think about it for a moment. Suddenly, a bit of blush appeared on her cheeks. “...Just...just how did your mother manage with…”

Both Cozy and I stopped dead in our tracks to look at Flash Drive. The unicorn stallion had now been put on the spotlight in a rather amusing way. I had been meaning to ask him about that for a while but never actually found a way to do so. He couldn’t refuse somepony like her, right?”

He slapped his hoof against his forehead. “Gah...this is why I don’t tend to tell anypony about this. So, ahem. Right then. I’ll just say like this. My mum had...trained herself to deal with...okay bugger this. Any other questions?”

Both Cozy and I did our best to hide our laughter. Despite being on opposite ends of the room, we both found Flash Drive’s embarrassment a tad funny.

Even Tempest was choked up for a moment. “Oh--ah--right. Makes sense to me. I actually appreciate the time you’ve taken to speak with me, Mr. Drive.”

“Really? What for?”

“Well...your story has given me some hope. Your friend Guttersnipe also told me about her past and...I feel like I can learn from you both. But you shouldn’t hide away from what’s a part of you,” she approached him once more, only for him to decline.

Drive went back to his desk and pushed me out of the way with his magic. “Thank you, but it’d be a bit difficult to express that without puttin’ myself at risk and whatnot,” he replied while he snapped his goggles back into place on his face. “I will say, though. Somepony like you would benefit from a visit to Lady Cadence.”

“The princess of this very Empire?” she asked with a nervous bite of her lip. “Would that be a good idea?”

“For sure,” Drive replied and grabbed a wrench with his magic, as well as a bunch of fake, toy pins. He was...mashing and welding things together with a torch. Was that his Nightmare Night costume? “The first step to being able to love others, is to love yourself. I know a lot about Lady Cadance, given that it’s my station. But I think you could learn a lot from her in particular.”

“Wow...I never thought of that, myself. You might be right.” Tempest replied with a smile, “Oh, and do you mind if I make a recommendation of my own?”

“Sure?”

“I’d recommend you speak with Moondancer,” she suggested, “you both have some things in common with how you approach your research. And I believe you could help her...er...approach others more easily while she helps you with your research in return.”

Now that was an odd thing to mention. I could have sworn that Moondancer was the type to avoid all socialization possible. What made Tempest feel as though that Flash Drive could accomplish anything with her, I wondered? There had to be a reason for her to bring it up.

“I see...in that case, I’ll definitely consider it. If we could all work more closely with each other, it’d be more beneficial.”

They continued to chat in the background and I slunk back to where Cozy had been standing at the end of the workshop. She had gathered an entire page’s worth of notes by now. Even I was impressed by it.

“What’s the deal, kid?”

She slipped the pencil from between her teeth, and into the rings on the notepad. “Simple. I think I’ve calculated just what Tempest is dealing with, and I think I know how we can help her.”

“Oh?” Well, this certainly got more interesting. I peered over to view her notes. “What’s the idea, kid?”

“Basically...she’s suffering from abandonment. Somewhat like Moondancer, but on a much greater scale. No one knows where her parents are, and her friends got into the School for Gifted Unicorns without her...”

Hold on a second. There was no possible way Cozy could know that information. Unless… “Kid...just how do you know that?”

The pink mare looked away from me, and didn’t answer. That pretty much confirmed it. Cozy and Tempest both likely discussed their pasts with each other when they were in the kitchen at Moondancer’s home together. So luckily, I could skip over some of the details.

“I see...well in that case, you two do share some things in common. And it might be possible for you to learn from--” I stopped mid-sentence as I recalled something. Flash Drive had recommended that Tempest go see Cadance. Meanwhile, I had come to realize that Cozy should go see somepony herself. “...Flurry Heart.”

“Huh?”

“She was one of the main ponies that supported your release. If there’s anypony you could all benefit from in terms of a chat, it’s those two.”

Cozy tapped her hooves together in a nervous fashion as she hovered off the ground. “G-golly...that sounds super intimidating, sir.”

I chuckled. “Relax, Coaster. Flurry despises being treated like royalty. It’ll be perfect.”

“Alright...if you’re sure, sir.”

I shot her a confident smile, but then I heard the elevator ding.

DING!

Somepony had come down to the base. However, it wasn’t Guttersnipe.

“Brother. I got the parts ye needed,” a familiar batpony with an artificial right hoof exited the elevator doors, and placed them neatly in a pile nearby. As soon as he spotted us, he addressed the new visitors we had brought down. “Oi. You lot. Guttersnipe said you were conducting business so I came to see for myself.”

Yet again, Tempest felt the need to go up close and personal. This time, she inspected the mechanical hoof that Neon had. Though, by inspect I meant ‘completely awkward and unrelenting stares.’

“Um...madam. Is everything alright?” he tilted his head with a worried expression on his face.

At last, she stopped, and raised her head to face him directly. “...You too, huh?”

PreviousChapters Next