• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,301 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,301

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 276: History With The Ram

As fantastical as it sounded, some of my crewmates were rather skeptical of such a thing.

Neon in particular raised his voice. “Are you serious? Just what makes you think that the entire universe would depend on such a balance?”

“Think about it,” Grogar replied with a huff, “If there’s too much Chaos--well that’s obvious. Utter destruction would reign supreme, no one would be able to live properly…”

“Okay, but what about the Harmony?” Guts asked, “I mean, don’t get me wrong, but wouldn’t total harmony be...perfect? No more conflict and just peace, right?”

Grogar raised his head to glare at us. “...Yes. You would think that. But no. Absolute Harmony is just as bad if not worse than absolute Chaos. No ruler is perfect, and it’s those flaws that keep them in check and require them to be aided by close allies. If they are led to believe they are perfect…”

Once again, I swiftly put two and two together. My mind drifted back over the various individuals I had faced over the years, and one in particular stuck out in my mind. “...Daybreaker. That’s how we end up with totalitarian dictators.”

“Exactly,” the ram replied, “Why do you think the Elements of Harmony are bestowed upon imperfect, flawed mortals? It ensures that they won’t fall into the hands/hooves/claws of a being who will take advantage of that power for their own gain.”

With a sigh, Flash Drive gave him an admittedly curious glare. “...Alright, mate. You’ve got me invested. But now what exactly did you mean from earlier? Who are the elements of Harmony and Chaos throughout history that have succeeded you and Gusty?”

“...The universe was unsatisfied. With the balance tipped in the favor of Harmony with her victory, Chaos had to return in some form.” Grogar’s memories started to shift around. “Throughout my banishment to limbo, I was able to witness everything unfold throughout. All the way from the original pony tribes coming together to your exploits to save Cozy. And what I’ve learned…”

The first memory was that of Celestia and Luna. They themselves were raised to be the Elements of Harmony by Starswirl the Bearded. Simultaneously, Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings were bred into existence thanks to the negligence of Starswirl...or was it the fate of the universe that willed the existence of new Elements of Chaos?

Next came what are now known as the Pillars of Equestria. Rockhoof, Flash Magnus, Mistmane, Somnombula, Mage Meadowbrook, and Starswirl accomplished their various historic feats. They were considered Elements of Harmony as well. However, new Elements of Chaos appeared in the form of the Sirens. Lady serpents of the sea who would serve as their adversaries. Stygian himself led them all to victory and banished the Sirens to the human world…

However, Stygian lost all sense of himself thanks to jealousy. His emotions overcame him and turned him into the Pony of Shadows--inheriting some of Grogar’s dark magic. As a result, fate willed him to be the new Element of Chaos to counteract the very Elements of Harmony he once fought alongside. The Pillars had no choice but to banish him, and sealed themselves away in the process…

From there, Celestia and Luna would finally ascend the throne as the first Alicorn Princesses of Equestria. Asserting themselves as the new rulers and guiding everypony towards a future of happiness and harmony. That was, until Discord attacked. His origins are shrouded in their own mystery, but he did indeed serve as an Element of Chaos to counteract the alicorn sisters. That was, until he was turned to stone.

Things were all well and good until Princess Amore was overthrown by Sombra in the Crystal Empire. Asserting himself as King, the umbrum would fill the void that Discord left behind, threatening to take all of Equestria with him should he not be stopped. Once again, it was up to the sisters who were able to thwart him--albeit barely. Sombra was still able to cast a last-ditch spell that would curse the Empire until it would be brought back into existence many a millennia later…

And perhaps most famously in Equestrian history, Nightmare Moon arose out of jealousy and hatred towards Celestia that overtook Luna. In turn, she became the very thing she once fought against: An Element of Chaos. Out of fear of her own power getting out of hand, Celestia refused to try and brute-force her sister into submission. Instead, she used those very same Elements of Harmony that they once used in tandem against her own sister, banishing her to the Moon for one thousand years…

What made me think hard was the fact that Grogar was able to witness all of this occur throughout history. I couldn’t imagine that. Never truly dying or being able to rest peacefully. Instead, he was forced to watch history play our in ways he never could have imagined.

“...Now I’m starting to understand,” I said at last, “There’s always been some sort of Harmony and Chaos power that have counteracted each other throughout history. And you...you want to make a world where that’s no longer necessary, I take it?”

Grogar nodded. “...more or less. If Chaos and Harmony are put in a state of limbo, then there will no longer be any need for suffering on either side. No more magical destruction or abuses of power.”

“...So wait,” Quick Draw spoke up, “This doesn’t answer our main concern right about now: Why do you need Cozy’s body so badly to accomplish this?”

Corkscrew also chimed in. “Yeah...it’s pretty suspicious of you to suddenly drop that out of nowhere. After all, you sent hundreds on hundreds of demons out here just to find her!”

After a pause, Grogar finally gave us an answer in between a haggard cough. “Ack! Bleh... Ahem...The child is unharmed…”

PreviousChapters Next