• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,299 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,299

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 49: Race To Make The Case

“Okay kid, listen. First thing’s first. We’re gonna get you something to eat, and then--”

But she wasn’t done. She was ready to go further. “Okay fine...but after that, I’m gonna participate. I’m gonna show everypony that I’m not...who I was.”

I fell silent. I liked her idea. Maybe if she did run, she would be seen as somepony who followed through on her plans. But first, I needed her to relax. “Hang on, kid. Let’s take a break.” I took her to a nearby sandwich shop. Corkscrew's family owned it. They had the best pastas and hot sandwiches around. But I decided to get her something a bit...different. We both sat outside at a table with the warm sun that welcomed us.

I set a fresh, steaming bowl of lentil soup in front of her and a glass of lemonade. “Oh...thank you, sir…” she thanked me and started to sip from the bowl.

I was happy to see her eat something, though I wasn’t hungry. When you need to focus on something so important, eating a lot becomes secondary. “No problem. But now...let’s back the scene up a little. Just what all did you do to catch the attention of a famous singer and former alicorns?”

When I looked up, she had finished half of the bowl of soup already. Damn, just how hard had she been working? “Oh um...I put out posters and fliers. Made use of the local newspapers, billboards, and...Twilight.”

I nearly spat out my tea. “All of this in three days?”

Cozy’s response was a silent nod while she avoided eye contact.

Most impressive. Her talent for ‘manipulation’ was rather deceptive. Cozy’s cutie mark was the Rook. A stalwart, strong piece on the board that can only travel vertically or horizontally in a straight path to kill unknowing foes. Stronger than the exclusively-diagonal Bishop and awkward-to-control Knight, this piece is often considered strongest next to the Queen itself.

It originated from the siege tower. A weaponized vehicle that could only roll in a straight line, but tall enough for the individuals hidden within to scale the ramparts of the enemy castle. A trojan of sorts. Military experts reported that the initial designs were laughed off and considered insignificant until they were used to win wars.

Or so they said. I wasn’t a historian.

Regardless, Cozy Glow’s mind was filled with untapped potential. Potential that could either save the world or destroy it. Unfortunately, the latter was attempted and failed. But maybe the former…

“Amazing job, kid,” I put a hoof on her head and ruffled her mane to see how she’d react. A gesture one would make to a younger sibling.

For a split second, I noticed her glare at me, but the expression went away just as fast as it had appeared on her face. She casually swatted my hoof with her own. “No need for any of that, sir. I’m just doing what anypony else would do.” Once she finished eating, and the contents of the glass were empty, Cozy got up from her seat. “Alright, I think I’m ready. The race starts soon so I need to go stretch. Wish me luck.”

“No problem, kid…” I waved at the young mare as she left.

But I wasn’t having it. There was no way I was going to simply let her out of my sight so easily. I officially needed all hooves on deck to watch out for her. If she was going to run this race, then things needed to be kept safe. Especially given the fact that the trial against Neighsay was set to begin the day after tomorrow.

Once everything was set into place, I paced along the trail for the Running of the Leaves. All the way from the finish line to the starting line. Nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary yet. But I refused to lose my cool.

Eventually, on my way back there, I ran into the Mayor.

“Ah, Mr. Vestige,” she greeted me with a smile. She was getting ready to kick off the marathon that was set to begin in just a few minutes. “Here to watch Cozy run with the Leaves?”

I nodded. “Indeed. I’d participate myself, but...well I’m rather past the state of frivolity with my occupation.”

“There’s nothing frivolous about a good run,” she replied, “But most importantly, I sincerely hope whatever little idea she had works out. Ponyville’s Traditions are still dear to us all. But some ponies think they’re not worth keeping around. Can you believe that?”

Of course I could. Someone somewhere always wanted to ruin the fun of someone else. But I wasn’t going to stand for it. “Naturally. But the important thing is doing what makes you happy--assuming it doesn’t harm yourself or others around you of course.” Though I was surprised to hear the Mayor knew of Cozy’s plans, I guess it made sense. One would have to get permission from the political leader to enact anything. “Um...just what did she tell you she would do?”

The Mayor gazed at me with a secretive sort of smile. “Oh...you’ll find out soon. Things are looking up. If you catch my drift, heheh…”

“Up?” I tilted my head towards the sky. What I saw was not something I had expected. Several Pegasus ponies flew in the air with a massive banner that read: ‘RUNNING OF THE LEAVES. THE MOST EPIC HOOFRACE.’

The Mayor grabbed a megaphone and shouted. “All contestants please report to the starting line!”

Crowds started to form. All of the folks that wanted to race started to gather up. Just as Cork reported, Ms. Coloratura was one of the contestants. Though she lacked all of her usual makeup and sported a simple look with her hair tied back and a number on her flank: 70.

Former Princess Luna and Princess Cadance also arrived in casual sports attire--which simply amounted to hoofbands. Luna was number 21 and Cadance was number 69.

“Seriously?” I heard her comment as she looked at the number placed on her flank. “Somepony on the race management team is super immature.”

Luna simply laughed at her expense, which made the slightly annoyed Princess of Love to giggle with her.

To keep things fair, Celestia enchanted the track which disabled all of their special alicorn abilities. Wait, Celestia was here too?

“Celes--”

“Shhh!” she shushed me while she hid behind a tree to mask her presence. Guess she didn’t want to be found out today. Heh.

The last special guest was Gabby, one of the Griffon ambassadors between the two races. I still wondered how well she would do in a race that she wasn’t allowed to fly in. She was numbered 40.

Cozy Glow took her spot in the starting line at the edge away from everyone else. Her eyes were shut. She must have been focusing hard on something. That was what I thought since I saw her exhale, and open her eyes just a few moments later. She was numbered 18.

Once everyone got to their positions, the crowd grew larger and larger. More ponies--and various other creatures--than ever before had arrived for this occasion.

“Well I’ll be…” To say that I was impressed would be an understatement. The kid actually managed to pull this off and bring in more attention to an event that was nearly canceled. However, whether or not we would have any donors was yet to be seen. For now, all we could do was hope that the race would go on without any hitches.

The Mayor’s voice rang out over the crowd through the megaphone once more. “We are gathered here today to kick off the beginning of the Fall and Harvest Season with the Annual Running of the Leaves!”

The crowd let out whoops and cheers of joy. The racers steeled themselves.

“Such an amazing turnout today!” the head of Ponyville continued, “Let’s all have fun out there, and don’t forget: Everypony is a winner no matter where you place! Runners! Are you ready?”

“YEAH!” cried all of those at the start line in unison.

“On your marks...get set…”

HONK!

The Mayor pressed down on an air horn which gave the signal for everyone to begin, They all took off at a brisk, but moderate gallop. After all, it was a marathon, not a sprint. But more importantly, I had eyes above and below to keep tabs on this little race. Yes, Cozy getting the support of donors was the priority, but I had a sneaking...suspicion. A feeling, so to speak.

No, no. Something was up. I knew it. Things were going too smoothly. Call it paranoia, but part of me just couldn’t shake the feeling of...something wrong. Call a detective’s intuition.

“Where are you going?” I heard the Mayor ask from behind me.

“To keep an eye out.” I started a brisk walk on the side of the path in which the Running took place. Beautiful bronze leaves were felled from the trees. A sight that relaxed me somewhat. But even so, something was wrong here. I feared for the kid’s safety.

Turns out my suspicions would be unfortunately rewarded.

I didn’t even pass through one-quarter of the marathon’s pathway before I came across something odd. I could smell something inorganic that came from one of the leaf piles. “Hm?” I stepped onto the empty track, and dug into the pile. From within, I found...an old piece of apple-shaped jewelry? A golden necklace with an apple pendant to be exact. This had to belong to a member of the Apple family. And next to it…

“No…”

Pink pegasus feathers. An exact match to Cozy’s coloration. No. No way. I refused to believe that the kid would do something like this. Someone had to be setting her up. Why? It was simple. Once the marathon was over, pegasus ponies would bring in strong winds to blow the fallen leaves around. When that came to pass, these piles would be uncovered and reveal the stolen items!

“Shit!” That would incriminate Cozy and undo all of the progress she made up to this point! With dread in my stomach, I looked ahead at the rest of the track. Dozens and dozens of leaf piles all laid about from the work of the racers. This was bad. I’d have to go through each one in order to be absolutely certain of what was happening here.

Fortunately, I had an ace up my nonexistent sleeves.

I made use of Flash Drive’s magical communicator that I had placed in my ear. “Cork, Neon, Flash, Gutter. Come in.”

“Sir!” They all sounded off together.

I explained the situation to them, and gave them each an objective. “Cork and Gutter, fly ahead of the racers and see if you can spot anypony suspicious.”

“On it boss!” he said.

“Let’s bring ‘em down! ORA-ORA!” she replied.

“Neon. Stay hidden in the crowd and question anyone you deem suspicious.”

“Right-o, boss. Let’s give ‘em a proper welcome.”

“Flash Drive, I need you here with me to go through these leaf piles and gather evidence.”

“Right then, bruv. I’m with ye.”

“Alright...let’s bust this case up. Eyes wide open, crew. Eyes wide open.”

PreviousChapters Next