• Published 14th Aug 2020
  • 4,297 Views, 1,863 Comments

Interviews With Equestrians - Jmaster49



A look inside the hidden perspectives of the average pony by your average joe. Starting with the imprisonment of Cozy Glow, this pony sets out to expose the hidden problems of Equestria that its residents have a right to know.

  • ...
19
 1,863
 4,297

PreviousChapters Next
Subject 15: The Setting Sun

I woke up the next day with a rather disturbed gasp in a hospital bed. “AH!” I looked around. Everything seemed to be normal. I was in the Silver Shoals hospital. Okay, that was for certain. I had a breathing device placed over my muzzle to introduce oxygen into my body.

“Calm down, sir,” a voice called out as someone entered the room. A mare, most likely. Indeed, it was Nurse Redheart. But what was she doing here?

“Hm? But you’re…”

“I decided to volunteer and help you out. You’ve endured some rather nasty burns, sir. Something about a fire accident? Try and take it easy. You’ve been here since yesterday.”

Nice way to hide the fact that I nearly suffocated to death due to hidden demonic powers of a being that was thousands of years old. But I accepted it. “I see...how long before I get out of here?”

She handed me a mirror, and explained, “Not long. Once you’re able to breathe properly again, you should be fine. No lasting damage occurred. Well, except…”

My coat had been singed in various places which left me a few burn patches. “Ouch…”

“That should also heal soon. Just be more careful next time, alright?”

“Yeah...thanks, Nurse.”

I put the mirror aside and lied down. Thankfully, my vest and hat would hide the extent of the damage, but I would certainly be walking awkwardly for a while.

After a few hours of rest, Quick Draw and Corkscrew were outside of the small hospital. Guess they waited for me. How kind of them.

“Boss!” The pegasus stallion flew over and gave me a hug, “You’re alright. I nearly freaked out…”

Quick was a bit more sympathetic than usual. It scared me. “...I’m sorry about what happened. Wanna go relax together?” she said with an intense blush.

Corkscrew was just as shocked as I was. Our mouths both agape in shock as we looked at each other.

“What? What the hell are the faces for? I care for my friends when it counts ya know!” she snarled, and avoided eye contact with us.

“Sorry, it’s just...rather unexpected. But you’re right, you’re our friend...and I appreciate it,” I went up and gave her a hug. I heard her gasp. I suppose she wasn’t expecting a close embrace from me given how much we butted heads with each other. But I genuinely cared for the mare. She was someone I could always rely on. “Thank you.”

“...” She was hesitant, but eventually she warmed up to it. I felt her hooves wrap around me as well.

“Bring it in, you guys!” Corkscrew joined us, and we all huddled up. “Now that that’s out of the way, we’ve got some...news.”

The group hug broke apart, and I made a mental note of Quick’s disappointment over the fact that the embrace didn’t last longer. How cute. But I needed to listen to what the stallion would say, “What’s the matter, kid?”

“Well, after your conversation with the former princesses, you kinda dropped due to the smoke. Celestia feels pretty bad about it and wants to talk to ya when she gets a chance.”

“Alright...you two take the rest of the time off. No more work-related stuff for either of you. Go have fun.”

“You sure, boss?

“Of course, Cork. Now go, that’s an order.”

“Alrighty, boss. I’ll go and try out the golf course. Tia should be waiting in the bowling alley for ya.”

Quick Draw didn’t say a word. She simply flicked her tail and trotted down the path towards the outdoor arts and crafts table.

They were both so...unflappable in their own unique ways. I loved it.

I made my way down the path near the river, and entered the bowling alley. The sound of crashing pins and balls were murder on my ears. Admittedly, I had never been to one of these places in...how long? I know there was one in Manehattan but...ah, whatever. I trotted up to the lanes. There I found the sun alicorn utilizing her magic to toss the ball with a worried look on her face.

“Surprise. I’m fine.”

“Ah!” She let out a yelp--I didn’t think it was possible to surprise her. In her scare, she flung the ball down with her magic, and it landed as a gutter. “Oh...pardon me. I should’ve been more aware.”

I took minor satisfaction in that bit of revenge through the pins I caused her to miss. “Everything’s fine. I was told to come see you, yes?”

“That’s correct,” she spoke as she levitated the 20-pound ball. Wait, they had 20 pound balls? “Firstly, I wanted to apologize for the damage Daybreaker caused you.”

I laughed it off. “Hahaha. No issues. I’ve been through worse, if you can believe it.”

“Given what your friends told me, I’m perfectly aware,” she flung the ball and eagerly watched it. I couldn’t help but do the same, and the ball crashed into all the pins with a perfect strike. “Yes!”

Hold on, just what did those two say to her while I was incapacitated? Oooh, they would be paying for this later. I was horrified at the thought, but kicked that away for now. “I see...was there anything else you wanted to speak of?”

Her game had finished up with a total of 230 points. “Yes. It’s about your stance on Cozy Glow. Will you sit with me?” She took a seat at one of the nearby waiting chairs.

I did the same. “Listen...there’s no pressure. If you don’t wish to set Cozy Glow free, then I respect your opinion.”

“I spoke with my sister for a while on the subject and the nature of how...new something like this is,” she sighed and tilted her head down, “I have to be honest: I still do not wish for her to be free...yet.”

I couldn’t decide if this was a shock or completely expected, given what we had both endured together a few hours ago. Naturally, I wanted to press her. “I understand, but why?”

“You may call me a coward if you want, but somepony like that strikes fear into my heart. I’m...worried that she’s still upset after being imprisoned for so long and still plots against us to this day. Which is why we immediately cast her to stone just as fast as the others.”

I nearly fell out of my chair. I felt foolish. Of course she was afraid. Who wouldn’t be? The filly nearly stole all magic, then stole alicorn magic and chaos magic to become the most powerful being in existence. That would make anyone shit themselves no matter how strong you were. Even so, there were other avenues to pursue. “One of my teachers at the Officer’s Academy used to preach about how being at peace is the cornerstone of a good agent. And that we should always search for a way to resolve conflicts amicably. But I’ll never forget what a certain student said in response to his teachings.”

“Oh? And what did they say?”

“They said, ‘Sir. If we don’t fight, how will we grow?’”

“I see...and just what happened?”

I leaned back in my seat, “That student would go on to become a squad leader of one of the best groups of investigators that the world never knew about. The point behind what he said is that we can’t grow unless we endure challenges and face hardships. Otherwise we’ll just...deteriorate and fester.”

She closed her eyes, “Wise words indeed. I’m perfectly aware of the truth in that statement. Trust me, I’ve been through a whole lot and still have loads more to deal with on an internal level…”

“That’s right...we all have demons to face. But more importantly, there will be times in which we’re presented challenges that are unfamiliar to us. And we can’t...blast them away and pretend they don’t exist. You not only have to face the world, you have to face yourself as well.”

There was a long silence between us both. I dreaded to think of what she could possibly say next.

At last, she opened her eyes and looked at me. “All of my oldest enemies have proven themselves to be untrustworthy--even Discord has broken that trust on occasion. But...I am aware that times do change, as well as what opinions the public has regarding who deserves friendship or not.” She giggled, “Ponies were extremely hostile towards each other--even now, some individuals think lowly of the other kinds. And Neighsay was quite the ingrate. I wonder if Twilight has allowed him to remain in power...”

I simply rolled my eyes, “Tell me about it.”

“But nowadays? Almost everypony is more accepting of each other. Individuals such as Trixie, Sunset Shimmer, and Starlight Glimmer would’ve been put to stone in an instant thousands of years ago. But now? They were offered another chance at life…”

I nodded, “So do you see where I’m going regarding Cozy Glow? Yes, she nearly ended the world. Yes she seemed disturbed. But I know that if we at least try once more, and give her the opportunity to live among us, she can learn from her mistakes.”

Another giggle. Guess the granny of an alicorn saw amusement in my efforts? “Oho...that’s what I love about the current generation. So willing to defy the old, outdated ways. I even hear you’re looking into starting something for Earth Ponies?”

I slapped my forehead. How could I almost forget? “Yeah! Cheerilee wanted your opinion on--”

“Great idea, get it done.”

“Just...like that?”

“It’s a grand idea, and I’m ashamed I never thought of it myself. Unicorns and Pegasi have their own locations to learn more, so the Earth Ponies should be able to as well,” she said with a smile, “tell Twilight about it. There’s no way she’ll refuse. And tell Cheerilee that she’s a genius for coming up with it. She must be so busy working all alone…”

I thought about it some more, and nodded. “Absolutely. She’s a smart cookie, that mare. As for Cozy...you’re still against me, aren’t you?”

“Pale...I’m not against you. I think you do a good job for the ponies even if they don’t realize it. I’m simply against the idea of setting one of our most dangerous enemies free due to how afraid I am of what further damage she’ll cause. However…”

One of my ears flicked. This ought to be good. “Eh?”

In a surprising display of a carefree nature, the old alicorn leaned back and propped her legs up against the chair next to her. “I will not object to your actions as an individual. Just know that certain ponies and creatures despise going against the status quo, and won’t respect you. Some may even try to hurt you.”

Pfft. That’s already happened. “Yeah, I got that.”

“And if I’m proven wrong, and that young lady is released and able to improve herself...then I will humbly accept that the decision I made all those years ago was foolish and insensitive.”

Was that a challenge? I could never tell with this immortal granny of a mare. Well now I had something else to prove. Obviously I didn’t agree with her, just as she didn’t agree with me. But that didn’t make her a bad pony...just a very questionable ruler. One that I certainly wouldn’t follow. Not without heavy debate. She makes a better conversationalist than a princess. “Alright...if that’s how you feel, I understand.”

“Wait!” She sat upright, almost disappointed to see me leave. Why did everyone act this way? Oh right, the ponies I tended to interview seemed to lack any companions of their own. “...Would you care to bowl with me? Sister prefers more...electronic games…”

In the nearby arcade…

A certain moon horse was dancing to an arcade game that required dance moves to register as button inputs to match what was on the screen as she sang with it. “...dame da ne! Dame yo, dame na no yo...I”

Back to me…

“I suppose I could stay for a round or two…”

Another regret. Why did I subject myself to these sorts of things? At any rate, it wasn’t a bad time. But I lost horribly with a score of 150 to her 200. I hated these types of games that required dexterity. The lane was always oiled with randomized fluids.

Why didn’t more ponies enjoy chess?

Anyhow, I left the bowling alley once we had finished. Tia was content to stay there due to the fact that her sister would quote, ‘royally rage’ against the machines if she were to lose too many times. I could respect that. I knew just what it was like to get mad at something to the point of tossing it out a window.

That’s why I never decided to own a pet.

“So what now?” I wondered. This retirement community/resort was a peaceful one, and I was already at a loss for what to do. Maybe I could join Corkscrew for miniature golf, or see what Quick Draw had decided on making at the art table.

That’s when I was tackled into the grass.

“HA! Gotcha!”

I groaned and grabbed my hat. Just who would do such a rude thing. “Um...I beg your pardon? I do believe you probably have me mixed up for someone else.”

“Nah, fam I don’t. What’s wrong witcha? Don’tcha recognize one’a ya old battle buddies? I was two grades below ya.”

That voice. That accent. That tone. There were two possibilities:

  1. I was being mugged.
  2. This was someone from my city, and they knew me.

The sad part is that I had no clue which would actually be worse at this moment.

After I dusted myself off, I turned and stood up. Yup. It was true. One of my old schoolmates had come back to haunt me about my younger days.

She shot me a wide, familiar smirk. “If it isn’t the Blood Vipa--”

I cut her off. “That’s not my name, and you know it. Please refrain from using it while I’m here…if somepony were to recognize it, it’d be awful.”

“Gotcha, gotcha...so, wanna go rough each otha up like old times?”

“I really would rather not--woah!” But it was too late, she had already pulled me on by force. There was no escaping this mare with how strong she was...why was it always the rough ones?

PreviousChapters Next