• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 28,104 Views, 4,135 Comments

Dan Vs. The Magic of Friendship(Season 1) - Barrobroadcaster



The story of a man named Dan and all his friends in Equestria.

  • ...
100
 4,135
 28,104

PreviousChapters Next
Moment with Cap and Chris

Tartarus
Sargassus, Plains of the Broken Lances

Tartarus was hell. Or, as close as one could get to hell in the realm of Equestria. Despite being its own separate dimension, the immense dungeon did not actually occupy a separate plane of existence. Rather, it was a very large 'pocket dimension' within the fabric of Equestria itself, essentially a large space confined and compressed in between Equestria's plane. It still had a physical link to Equestria located underneath the DonQuestrian prison complex called Bursavis. But, basically, it was still hell.

There was a difference between being sent to this realm for punishment and just being sent to Tartarus, however. That was more than a basic difference.

Of course, right now, it wasn't really a difference Captain America or Chris Redfield really noticed.

"Is he still watching us?"

"I don't wanna look over," Chris said, then reluctantly, he did. Immediately, he winced with almost physical pain. "Yep, he's still looking right at us."

"Great," Captain America said sarcastically. Both he and Chris had realized early that Tartarus had many different ways of tormenting its occupants. Being human, the two of them were already out of place in the dungeon dimension, or dimungeon as Pinkie had called it. Rice hadn't bothered with anything specific when he imprisoned them and the others; he just tossed them in and put a cage around them. So, they weren't actually being punished by Tartarus itself.

Unfortunately, they found out quickly it was easy to get punishment by proxy. The Van Camp's Pork and Beans kid had taken up a position just outside their cell and had been starring at them for the past week. He seemed to have a never-ending can of Van Camp's Pork and Beans because he was perpetually eating from it, one spoonful at a time while watching Cap and Chris with a look of sheer malevolence in his eyes. It wasn't really torture to them, but it was annoying, which probably made it torture to someone else.

"So are we just gonna sit here?" Chris asked. "While that kid eats pork and beans at us?" The Van Camp's kid licked his lips before devouring another spoonful. It was too disgusting for either of them to watch.

"I'm conserving my energy," Cap said.

"You're sitting there and doing nothing."

Cap turned his head. "I'm... taking a break."

Chris again swiped his knife at the walls. The energy bent to compensate for the blade but the forcefield cell they were in held in place. The red wall of energy quickly ablated the blow. He followed it up with another, then another, then another. Then he started attacking the forcefield above them, jumping and slashing at it.

"I didn't think Captain America did breaks."

"Even heroes need breaks."

"Yeah?" Chris stopped for a moment, panting. "So I finally got you to admit you're a hero. I can't remember if it was Jill or Rebecca but someone owes me twenty bucks."

Captain America turned again. "I never said I was a hero. Captain America, he's the hero."

"Oh, give me a break, Steve."

"I'm already on one."

Chris Redfield groaned. "Steve, for goodness' sake, man. Don't let this be another 'hero doesn't think he's a hero' lecture."

"Excuse me?" Cap said, standing up. "I'm sorry but I don't recall you being in a situation like mine."

The two men were burly, muscles bulging. With any two other guys, it probably would have been a showdown. But these two had been partners for quite a while.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Alright," Cap said calmly. "Then how did you mean it?"

"I just... look. I think by now you understand your own legend. Comics, action figures, video games, trading cards, movies-"

"I still need to go see those..." Cap admitted.

"You understand what I'm saying, though. You're a superhero, Steve," Chris said. "I know it's difficult being admired, hell, being practically worshiped for doing stuff that... literally no one should ever do. And somehow still doing it every day. Surviving."

"It's not about that," Captain America turned away. He half-shrugged. "I'm... I've always been the weakest of the Avengers."

Chris quirked an eyebrow. "Are you serious?"

"Tony, Bruce, Bucky, it didn't matter what team I was on. I'm always the last picked. Never the first," Cap said.

Chris bit his finger, realizing he had just unearthed something complicated. "I'm pretty sure both HYDRA and Umbrella can attest to your prowess. You even beat Iron Man-"

Cap spun quickly. "You know what the difference between me and Tony is?"

"Apart from the money, the suit and Pepper?"

Cap pinched his eyes shut. "Tony... 'Iron Man' was something Tony came up with. He made Iron Man, I was made into Captain America. I'm still Steve Rogers."

Chris rubbed the back of his neck. "Stark isn't exactly perfect himself. To be honest, between you and him, you're kinda more likable."

"Stark is improving. He has improved. I never did," Cap said, sighing heavily. "I never got past the limitations of Steve Rogers."

Looking around, Chris saw even the Van Camp's kid had started listening to the conversation. Creepily. He let Cap continue.

"When I became... this, you know what the first thought through my head was? It was "I have asthma. I have a heart condition. I should tell Mrs. Barnes."

Chris stared at him for a solid minute. "Your first thought after becoming a super soldier is telling your best friend's mom?"

"No, it's just... I wasn't ready. Steve Rogers wasn't ready. I never got over my asthma, I never got over the fact I wasn't living on my own. I didn't earn anything I was given," Cap said. "Tony built Iron Man with his bare hands."

"And millions of dollars' worth of technology," Chris pointed out.

"Which he invented," Cap countered. "Dr. Erskine created the serum that made Captain America. Tony designed everything about his suits right down to the colors. The only thing I contributed to mine was the size."

"But you fill the suit," Chris said, putting a hand on his friend's shoulder. "So, what? You want go back to being a ninety-pound asthmatic with high blood pressure so you can overcome being a ninety-pound asthmatic with high blood pressure?"

"I-no. I'm just, well..."

"It was something you never overcame," Chris said, nodding. "I get it. It's like a challenge you left behind."

"I guess," Cap said. "I don't think about it most days. But sometimes, I still feel like that kid. Heart pounding, wheezing, struggling to keep up with everyone else. I don't want to be... not good enough. Again."

Chris didn't know what to say. He smiled, then chuckled. "Heh... well, I honestly don't know what to say to that."

"I do," Rice said. Chris and Cap spun around to see Rice Puddinghead standing outside the shield. The Van Camp's kid was laying on the ground, prone and Rice was now eating his pork and beans. "This stuff is pretty good, actually."

"What do you want?" Chris said. Carefully, he hid his knife behind his back.

"Your problem isn't with Earth or with SHIELD," Cap said. "You should know by now that they'll be prepared. We went missing, they'll be on alert."

"Oh, I know," Rice said, nodding. "But I don't really have a problem with Earth or SHIELD. I just have a problem with them being in the way. What they do, what you two do, I'm actually quite the fan of."

"We're not helping you," both men said adamantly, simultaneously.

"Not voluntarily, of course not. And I don't think you'd change your mind for a few extra cans of pork and beans."

"I am never eating that stuff again," Chris said.

Rice grinned. "Again, not voluntarily." The two men shuddered. "Now, as sappy and cliche as your little story was Mr. America, I happen to find it quite touching. You know, my son actually was disabled when he... *er-hem* well, he was disabled."

"Killing people isn't going to bring your son back," Chris quickly blurted out.

"Destroying Earth won't bring your son back," Cap quickly followed up. "None of this-"

"ENOUGH!" the Van Camp can quickly hit the floor. It splattered its contents on the hard rock. Rice ripped down the energy barrier and grabbed both men in a levitation spell. In a split-second, he was lifting them up, helpless over him.

"Hahahaaaa... that's enough, really," Rice said, making it clear he was suppressing a lot of his anger. "But you know, you said there was a lot you had to overcome as Steve Rogers. Personally, I happen to think there's a lot you still have to get through as Captain America."

"Like... like what?" Cap asked.

"Ha ha ha ha... let me show you. Both of you." From his coat pocket, he pulled out two vials. "Here's a little gift from home, boys. Something from both HYDRA and Umbrella."

"How-how the hell did you get formulas from Umbrella?!" Chris asked, shocked.

"Are HYDRA and Umbrella working for you?" Cap asked.

Rice grinned. "Once again- not voluntarily."

"What do you mean?"

Rice pulled the captive Captain America closer to him. "You'll find out soon enough. Let's test your limitations, Steve. Oh, and you should be happy to know... I picked you first."

PreviousChapters Next