• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 27,995 Views, 4,135 Comments

Dan Vs. The Magic of Friendship(Season 1) - Barrobroadcaster



The story of a man named Dan and all his friends in Equestria.

  • ...
100
 4,135
 27,995

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 25: The Final Battle- Dan Vs. Vice Grip

The sun rose on another Ponyville day. But Dan was already up. He got dressed, looked back at Chrys, saw her still in bed. She stirred a bit.

"Hmmm... mmmm, you're up early."

"Yeah. I'm just gonna head out for a walk, get some air."

"Okay," Chrys said. "I'll be... here..." she said, and went back to sleep just as quickly.

"I know you will," he said, smiling. "I'll be back soon." It was nice to have something to come back to. It was nice to have someone to come home to. It made all the difference, the biggest difference in the world.

And he wasn't going to waste it.

Dan left the library and walked around town. The sun's first rays were still peeking over the landscape and the air was cool and crisp, just enough to give him a brisk chill with each gust that blew through. Any other time, he might've felt it was uncomfortable to be out when it was still this chilly, but now, the cold was comforting. The icy early morning wind on his face made his heart pump harder, made him feel more alive with each breath.

Ponies were still waking up. Unlike other cities, where activity and hustle and bustle were prevalent at every hour of the day, things were quieter in Ponyville. The town woke up gradually. Shops and stores opened, doors and windows opened, all at once Ponyville woke up to another day. By the time sunlight chased away the last remnants of the night, the town was awake again, almost as much a living thing as the ponies that lived there.

Dan watched it all unfold. He leaned against the streetlamp he'd originally swung on when he arrived in town, just watching the town. Ponies pulled wagons and carts through the streets, fillies and colts made their way to school, pegasi took to the sky to begin their weatherly duties.

"Morning, Dan!"

"Morning."

"Morning, Dan!"

"Good morning, Derpy."

"Morning, Dan."

"Good morning, Mrs. Petalmino. And morning Colgate."

"Morning!" Colgate waved, her smile extra-bright as always. It reflected light in Dan's eyes just for a brief moment with the shine of her teeth, but it didn't annoy him. It didn't aggravate him in the slightest. He shielded his eyes with his hand, waved back, and went on his way.

In spite of everything that happened, Ponyville hadn't changed. Well, not much, at least. It still had its heart. Equestria was the same, apart from a few new additions. Daring Do had a new novel published, Discord had a new t.v. show, Fluttershy had a new ant farm and a couple new fish in her aquarium, fluffer fish.

And in spite of him, Ponyville hadn't changed. All he had done, through trial and triumphant, disaster, destruction, rebuilding and renewal, his actions both selfless and selfish, Ponyville remained as it always had been. Equestria was still the same, again, apart from a few new additions. Several of which Dan had been a part of, and others which had been more of an artistic choice.

It was a world. Living, breathing, moving and flowing. Life still happened, still moved on regardless of how singularly important one person or event seemed. It didn't wait for anyone. Once, Dan had been something of a celebrity, then an oddity, then just another part of what made Equestria what it was. Two years ago, ponies wondered when he would be leaving, or how long he'd stay. Now, if he was suddenly gone, they'd wonder where he went.

This is how he knew he was part of Equestria, how they all, subconsciously or otherwise, knew. It was hard to imagine Equestria without him.

Not every pony waved or said good morning. Even though he was technically a noble now. Many just went on about their day, working and living. He watched the town for several hours that day.

A group of ponies visiting from the west went to the spa. Some younger ponies flew kites in the park while a quartet of mares and stallions were on a double date. He spotted a certain fast pegasus bolting through the sky overhead.

"Hey, Rainbow!"

Rainbow spun her head around. "Oh, hey Dan!"

"What's the weather like this weekend?"

"Well, there's gonna be rain on Saturday, and it'll be mostly clear Sunday. Why, are you planning something?"

Dan shook his head. "Nah, you know I'd let you guys know ahead of time." It was courteous to schedule certain weather a week or more in advance if you put in a request with the weather service.

"I know, I know! You coming cloud riding with Twilight and us next week?"

"Wouldn't miss it," Dan said.

He went to Sugar Cube Corner and was able to pick up a drink and a sandwich before the lunch rush hit. Haybacon, lettuce, tomato, peanut butter and jelly on toasted marble rye with a pickle, one of his favorites. One of his new favorites since coming to Equestria. Ate it quickly just a half hour past noon, saw Fluttershy ordering and Pinkie Pie behind the counter. They both said hi to him.

Dan passed by Carousel Boutique and saw Rarity and Sweetie Belle. They both were busy dressing up the clothing shop for something. He even saw Phoenix and Spike running an errand there for Twilight, picking up a few items.

"You were out a bit early."

"Yeah, I felt like hitting the block a bit."

Both Phoenix and Spike raised alternate eyebrows. "And this doesn't involve hitting anyone else? In the face, maybe?"

Dan chuckled. "Heh, well, not today, anyway. See you guys back at the house."

"Alright, see ya."

He went to see Applejack and Sweet Apple Acres last. There was plenty of work to do and AJ and her family were out doing it, as always. Applebucking season was still a few months away, but there was work to be done in the fields, tending to the soil. Big Mac cared for the newer plots while Granny Smith and Apple Bloom examined the trees. Applejack did the planting and watering, and they all helped with irrigation and maintenance, checking and double-checking to make sure it was all balanced.

It took a family to do it all, all of them working together. He waved at the Apple clan as they worked the fields, then left. Didn't bother them, didn't ask for a freshly-baked pie or a mug of cider, just waved and then turned around and left. If they any of them, especially AJ, had thought of it longer, his behavior might've seemed odd. But because he didn't stay a moment longer, didn't say or do anything beyond a smile and a wave, they thought no more of it.

The well-traveled road from the acres to Ponyville felt good beneath the soles of his shoes. The air was refreshing, carried on it notes of various subtle trees, a few flowering. He decided to walk around all of Ponyville, take the long way back home. The defenses of the town were retracted, only the tops of the wall visible from the outcropping and the occasional speaker box visible hanging from a roof. That and the library were the biggest physical changes he's made to Ponyville, to Equestria in general and they were barely visible. Like him, they had blended seamlessly into everything that was Equestria.

Harmony. He was at harmony with Equestria at last. The world, its ponies had fully integrated into life with him, as he with them. This was the first real feeling of harmony.

He returned to the same streetlamp he'd touched when he arrived in town. He patted it again, took a deep breath, let it out slowly, smiled and nodded to himself.

Harmony, he thought, felt good. He then headed back home, knowing that he was about to ruin that harmony.

For the last time.

PreviousChapters Next