• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 28,095 Views, 4,135 Comments

Dan Vs. The Magic of Friendship(Season 1) - Barrobroadcaster



The story of a man named Dan and all his friends in Equestria.

  • ...
100
 4,135
 28,095

PreviousChapters Next
Resort: Tip of the Trident- Waterloo'd

Dan and Phoenix rushed through the streets to town square. Their eyes and ears were open for the sounds of sea ponies and as suspected, they heard them before they saw them. But they heard something along with the sounds of battle, something familiar.

"-and for my next trick, the Great and POWERFUL Trixie shall require three volunteers!"

They slowed from sprint to jog, and then jog to walk. Apprehension began to take hold of them, eye-widening apprehension.

"I don't know if that's a good sound or a very, very bad sound."

"Relax, Nicky, you're not in court with her."

Phoenix shook his head. "I'd rather go against Writhe again than Trixie." (The image of a pony Von Karma comes to mind yet again.)

"Huh. Come to think of it, haven't seen mustard boy in a while. I wonder where he got off to."

Phoenix anime-slumped. "I'm sure he'll show up the next time I have to defend someone who's in over their head." (Which is pretty much every time I defend someone.)

They came around to the front of town hall. As suspected, they saw a familiar stage out in front with the familiar wagon nearby. The familiar magician showmare unicorn occupied the center of the stage, hooves outstretched towards the crowd. But instead of the familiar audience of ponies and fans they expected to see, they saw:

"SEA PONIES!!!" Dan bellowed. "TRIXIE!! What the hay are you doing?!"

"Ahh, Dan and Mr. Wright! You're just in time for the GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's latest performance!"

"Performance?!" both humans gasped. A group of armored sea ponies charged the stage. Trixie stood, eyes closed in proud anticipation, as if the approaching attackers were volunteering to be part of the act.

Once upon a time, sea ponies could exist in salt or fresh water, and even travel on land for extended periods of time. This changed after the first great famine of Enchantria- the sea ponies were the first to leave the enchanted kingdom and unlike the others, they did not so voluntarily. They were forced out and over the time, conquered the seas and declared war on all who entered their watery domain. Once during the reign of Celestia, they even invaded Equestria, but were stopped by Equestria itself. Before a war could even truly begin, Equestria's winter literally froze the sea ponies in their tracks.

Since their first failed invasion centuries ago, sea ponies became myth. In reality, they lurked in the depths still, waiting to return. Why they chose to do so now was anypony's guess, but they did not come unprepared. Hundreds of years underwater has caused the sea ponies to require specialized water and environmental suits to travel on the surface or freshwater bodies.

As if being punished for their assault on innocent Equestria, sea ponies are in a way cursed and unable to travel for long outside their seas. The march of technology continues unabated, however, and the sea ponies have found ways to get around their difficulty. The most technologically and magically-advanced civilization in all of Equestria, sea ponies combine the strengths of the zebras, griffons and surface-based ponies to compensate for their reliance on the marine environment.

A trio of sea ponies advanced, mechanical limbs carrying them. A cross between pony legs and tentacles, the robotic attachments protruding from their suits carried them swiftly with half the noise of a gallop. They could be stealthy if necessary. Racing towards the stage, Trixie remained motionless.

"TRIXIE!! What are you doing?!"

"Move, Trixie! They're coming right at you!"

Trixie waved Dan and Phoenix away. "Please, please, do not block the stage, Mr. Wright and Dan! Prepare yourselves to be amazed!"

"They're going to make fish food out of you, Trixie!" Dan yelled. "Oh crap." A sea pony hurled a fireball at both the humans from his tentacle-appendage, forcing the two to dive out of the way.

"Asssshaaaelllassss bah-kay nath!" Whether it was another language or not, the sea ponies shouted something from their water-filled bubble helmets, but nothing Dan, Phoenix or Trixie understood. "Ensssshaaalaassss-ha!!" Their voices were distorted and watery, as could be expected.

The sea ponies leaped onto the stage. They surrounded the showmare but she didn't flinch.

"Are you ready to see some real magic?!"

"Garrrssshaella bah-kay nessk!" The sea ponies grinned. They raised their appendages, each glowing a different color- red, yellow and blue. Three magic-infused plasmids burned brightly.

Trixie's horn glowed in response. Her hat levitated up, only now did she open her eyes to peek at her would-be opponents. "For my next trick... I shall defeat you all without lifting a hoof. BEFORE Trixie's trademarked magic hat(available for purchase at greatandpowerfultrixie.com/merch) hits the stage! Are you ready?"

The sea ponies didn't waste time. A fireball from one's hoof, a bolt of lightning from the other and a thundering blast of force from the third. Their spells aimed right for Trixie at point-blank, but not a single one hit their mark. In a puff of blue smoke, Trixie vanished. The spells only caused the wind to rush below the hat, keeping it aloft just a moment longer as they passed underneath and right at the sea pony across from it.

"Blrrraaash!"
"Graaaahh!"
"Auulllsshh!"

Each sea pony was blasted by the adjacent assailant's plasmid. The fireball-flinging mare was hit by the kinetic blast and blown off the stage, the electro-shock stallion was engulfed in flames and tossed to the side and the force-firing stallion was zapped by electricity. He finally doubled over and fell off the stage.

Trixie triumphantly reappeared front stage, dipped just low enough to catch her hat on her head, spun around and bowed in a single motion, all with her eyes closed. "Thank you! Thank you, Ponyville! I'll be here ALL week!"

"YES! Yes, bravo! Bravo, Trixie!!" Dan applauded.

"Trixie, that... that was amazing!" Phoenix exclaimed.

The mare grinned and quirked an eyebrow. "Did Trixie not tell you that? Does the GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie NOT DELIVER?!" From behind the curtains, two cannons rolled out and immediately fired. They blasted another six sea ponies who were rushing in from Mane Street, bowling them over like pins.

"Holy crap! That's some serious firepower you've got. Did you get it from the Blasties?"

"Actually, that would be Berry Punch's concoction, Mr. Wright," Trixie said, pulling back the curtains. Berry Punch and Blueblood were reloading the cannons.

"Fireworks mixed with a little something special," Berry Punch said, winking to the audience. "Courtesy of some friends of mine in Kentucky and their 1963 Statesman Reserve... uh, punch."

"Don't worry about the sea ponies, sir Dan. We'll make sure you're able to, erm, interrogate them later," Blueblood said.

Dan grinned. "Nice to see you helping out, your highness. Where's the mayor?"

And the P.A answered for them. "Dan! Sea ponies are advancing from the west! We need reinforcements at the west gate now!"

"We're on our way, mayor!" Phoenix yelled. "They must've landed troops out of range of the ion cannons."

"If ONLY I'd had time to get the lava moats set up around town." That comment drew a few stares. "Well, lava cleans itself. You try keeping a proper pH balance in a water-filled moat, then come talk to me."

"Trixie shall guard the town square, Dan. You and Phoenix take the fight to the sea ponies!"

Dan practically had a tear in his eye as he ran off. "Finally... you ponies are becoming competent defenders. JUST like I trained you to be. I'm so proud, have to go now. I'll buy tickets to your next three-hundred shows in advance!"

"You can get them online at greatandpowerfultrixie.com/tickets!" she called after them.

They rounded back up around the town square. Smoke was billowing from the west side of town, the fashion, style and garment district. The west-side ion cannons still fired, though, targets now getting further and further spread out over Ponyville.

"I'm half way... debating... going back and..."

"Getting the chariot," Phoenix said, the two of them panting. "Town full of horses that would be more than happy to carry us, a third of which that can fly and we're running."

"I keep forgetting to have Twilight summon my car. Have I told you about my car?"

"You've told me about your car."

"I'm gonna get Twilight to- to summon my car. Or a tank. Or she can summon my car and turn my car into a tank."

"I don't care as long as we don't have to run any more," Phoenix said, sweating anime-style.

And that was when something was summoned to them. Not a car or a tank but something they had seen before driven by two stallions they'd seen before. They pulled up to them in a jet-powered wooden contraption.

"Hello there, boys!"

"Fancy seeing you here, fellas!" The Flim Flam Brothers stopped next to them in their latest invention.

"Need a lift?" Flim asked.

"It's our latest creation!" Flam announced. "We call it the Flim Flam Brothers patented Super-Slammin' Jet-Jammin-"

"SHUT THE HELL UP AND DRIVE US TO THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN!!"

"And move over!" Phoenix said. The two humans pushed the salesponies to the side of the seat and buckled in.

But the salesponies maintained their smiles. "Sit right back, gentlemen, we'll take care of everything!"

"Thank you for choosing Flim Flam Fast Travel!" Their magic lit up the controls and the car, which just looked like a suped-up version of their last invention, sped off. But, this one had a few extra features, including a beverage dispenser which deployed from an armrest. "Ice-cold cider for the road, good sir?"

Neither Dan nor Phoenix said no. They downed a couple drinks in barely a gulp as Ponyville sped by them in a colorful blur. "Not bad," Dan remarked. "You're not going to ask us to pay for these now, are you?"

Flim shook his head. "Not while you're saving the town, sir."

"Besides, Granny Smith and Big Mac are paying your tabs."

"Great, I'll take a refill."

Before long, they were approaching the west gate. Sea ponies were pouring in but a group of ponies were fighting back. From a corner cafe and Photo Finish's store at the edge of town, unicorns, earth ponies and even a pair of donkeys were fighting back the invaders. They used tomato guns that fired explosive tomatoes, originally designed by Blast Fuse and Blast Powder.

Dan glared at the armored aquatic assaulting army. His eyes narrowed. "Floor it."

The brothers exchanged and nod and put on helmets. "We thought you might say that." A pair of helmets also equipped themselves to Dan and Phoenix's craniums, courtesy of the brothers' magic. "Safety equipment is tax deductible!"

"Just the same, I hope you're insured," Phoenix said.

"Fully," the brothers replied.

"HIT THE GAS!" The car blasted down the street, rocketing towards the gate. Fire streaked up from twin trails the wheels of the vehicle blazed as it sped down the street, the dirt cloud it kicked up quickly extinguishing them. The sea ponies had time to see what was coming and a few dove out of the way, but the car smashed into the bulk of the horde, plowing into them as it came through the gate like a missile on wheels.

The vehicle tumbled into the armor, propelled by its momentum, the engine burning groups of sea ponies as it flipped, wood and wheels splintering and breaking as it rolled. It finally came to a rest a few meters from the gate, a swath of smashed sea ponies in its burning wake.

Dan, Phoenix and the brothers, having observed proper use of safety restraints, got out of the wreck completely unscathed.

"Thanks for the lift, you two," Dan said.

"Don't mention it."

"Photo Finish's cameras caught the whole thing! Free advertising!" The two brothers quickly zipped away.

The sea ponies slowly recovered, standing and gathering around Dan and Phoenix in front of the wrecked rocket car. Dan grabbed a twisted board and yanked it off the wreck, Phoenix did the same.

"Haaasshaelas bassay neth!" The sea ponies surrounded them. Magic glowed on their appendages and in their armor, some had tridents which they aimed at them. A couple had what looked like water cannons that they aimed at the pair.

"You take the right, I take the left," Phoenix said. "All the way back to the gate."

Dan nodded. "Just like fishing."

"Spear-fishing," Phoenix smirked.

"Something like that."

"Aaagasssaelas! Tuuun tuuun bassay neth!"

Dan pulled back with the board. "I'm going to pretend you just said 'hello.'" He charged into the crowd of sea ponies. "AND NOW I'M GONNA SAY WELCOME TO PONYVILLE!!"

"A FINE welcome to you ALL!" The two humans lunged at the nearest sea pony closest to them. Dan smacked one of the bubble-helmeted ocean horses with the board, then swung over his back to smack another one. Phoenix swept at the legs of the sea pony closest to him and continued the motion, spinning and swinging his board into another. They fought this way, smacking and swinging and moving, bashing each combatant that came at them as they advanced further and further through the crowd.

Dan ducked as one through a fireball at him and the flames hit a sea pony being held by Phoenix. Phoenix judo-threw a sea pony over his shoulder just in time for Dan to stomp him into the dirt. The angry human elbowed and tossed a sea pony into a crowd of his friends while the lawyer used his board to flip one into another crowd. The pair then finally jumped onto the backs of two sea ponies and then dove back into the horde, coming down in a massive slam that broke each board on the face and helmet of four more aquatic invaders.

It would have been one of the bloodiest battles in Equestrian history if the sea ponies had bled. Instead, Dan and Phoenix left a soggy defeated swarm of soaking sea ponies and scorched shrapnel in their path back to the gate. The two humans were damp with sea water and their own sweat by the time they got back and closed the gates. The few sea ponies who had made it inside had already surrendered.

"Now that's what I call a day of fishing," Dan remarked.

"Dan! Phoenix!" the P.A system blared with the mayor's voice. "Sea ponies are breaking in from the south side of town! We need you there, stat!"

"Day ain't over yet," Phoenix reminded him. The two broke into a run back towards town hall. It wasn't even noon.

PreviousChapters Next