Royal Canterlot Library 991 members · 638 stories
Comments ( 283 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 283
ERainbooms and Royalty
Alternate Universe: Filly Rainbow Dash has just performed her Sonic Rainboom when she gets a visitor
Trinary · 105k words  ·  2,136  61 · 28k views
Comment posted by Celefin deleted Jun 14th, 2019
ELost Cities
North of Canterlot, in the far marches of the Equestrian lands near the Griffon tribes, there is a mountain that flies.
Cold in Gardez · 11k words  ·  1,223  19 · 16k views
Chris
Group Contributor

So many good stories getting nominated! I'm having to be really choosey, lest I end up just upvoting eighty different fics. What a nice problem to have!

Do you guys have all the panelists you need?

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/6007/the-flight-of-the-alicorn

This is the second story I read after joining Fimfiction. The first was also by Ponydora Prancypants.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/433678/all-our-times-have-come

RarityEQM is one of my favorite authors and this story is one of the funniest and best I've ever read!

EMartial Bliss
Shining Armor learns the most important tactical lesson of his life.
Skywriter · 1.5k words  ·  2,878  36 · 33k views

Since my very favorite ponyfic, Contraptionology, has already been listed, I'll put up number two:

TIt's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door
When an accident leaves Twilight Sparkle seriously ill, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity must undertake a perilous journey to find her a cure. What adventures await them beyond Equestria's borders?
Jetfire2012 · 147k words  ·  1,760  87 · 18k views

I think you're going to have some issues with this poll. Not only are there several duplicate entries but, just by the nature of it, the early arrivals will naturally garner more votes than the later arrivals.

Yeah, ah, apparently PH isn't especially popular here.
...Though not FoE in general, interestingly.

Aye, I've been a bit concerned about both of those.

Noc
Noc #112 · Jun 14th, 2019 · · 3 ·

Can’t believe I forgot to nominate this earlier. Or that no-one else thought to, either.

TBulletproof Heart
In a hot desert Equestria, Rarity Belle makes her living as a clothier in the small town of Spurhoof. But when a posse of Bad Apples arrive in town, she finds her life turned upside down. Now she fights for only one thing: survival.
PaulAsaran · 315k words  ·  333  13 · 5.1k views

I didn't see anything by Cynewulf yet, which was startling. If I could nominate "an author's entire upload history" I would, though I suppose a few of them are only "good" and not "downright amazing".

I'll pick this one, it's my personal favorite:

TAgeless, or Celestia Plays Dice With the Universe
The prospect of Twilight being possibly ageless like she and her sister are unnerves Celestia, and she wants to know why.
Cynewulf · 53k words  ·  918  28 · 13k views

The irony being that those downvotes don't actually mean anything, since they aren't being counted. Something I suspect most of those casting them didn't bother to read.

EAirshipping Is Magic
What if Twilight and Trixie were both zeppelins who were in love?
Blueshift · 1.2k words  ·  713  34 · 19k views

I've got a lot. In no particular order...

EPlural Possessive
King Sombra meant to possess Twilight Sparkle's body and take over Equestria with it. Due to an addressing error, he ends up in Dinky Doo's body instead. Neither of them is very happy about it. *5th place in the More Most Dangerous Game contest*
Aquaman · 16k words  ·  1,110  20 · 13k views
TIf Horses Had Gods
Twilight Sparkle asks each of her friends, "Do you believe in God?"
Ponky · 7.7k words  ·  672  57 · 6.3k views
THeart of Gold, Feathers of Steel
Gilda-centric retelling of "Griffon the Brush Off"
Nicknack · 34k words  ·  804  18 · 12k views
TLosing Sunlight
When Princess Celestia comes down with a mysterious illness, Sunset takes it upon herself and Twilight to get to the bottom of it, which would be hard enough if she wasn't dating the other Twilight in secret.
MarvelandPonder · 33k words  ·  432  9 · 7.6k views
EA Good Filly
Sometimes it takes more than Flugelhorns and Crystal berries to heal old wounds.
Orbiting Kettle · 1.1k words  ·  306  3 · 2.7k views
TJust Dodge!
Lyra thinks Discord is an idiot for not thinking to dodge when the Elements of Harmony were about to strike him. Discord thinks this is the perfect opportunity for a game.
DannyJ · 9.3k words  ·  2,418  28 · 32k views
TThe Eye That Floats, Silent and Unblinking, in Sunset Shimmer's Kitchen
Sunset Shimmer's apartment is invaded by a giant, cosmic eyeball, which is generally kind of a bummer, and almost as annoying as the constant advances Twilight keeps making toward herself.
Posh · 33k words  ·  457  14 · 5.1k views
TFractured Sunlight
As kids, Twilight and Sunset were best friends, but a tragic accident cut their friendship short. Years later, Twilight investigates the incidents at Canterlot High and comes face to face with what appears to be a literal ghost from her past.
Oroboro · 112k words  ·  2,573  72 · 30k views
TGM

[edited due to repost]

TGM

[Adult story embed hidden]

TGM
TInjuring Eternity
For Twilight, the increased lifespan that came with princesshood had forced her to outlive her friends, but thanks to Rarity, she will learn that centuries could be lived in but a single day.
Monochromatic · 46k words  ·  1,003  26 · 11k views
TPandemic
The small Colorado town of Lazy Pines soldiers on through a bad outbreak of influenza in an otherwise typical flu season ... until the OTHER symptoms manifest.
ASGeek2012 · 440k words  ·  1,179  62 · 17k views

Oh snap, looking through my favorites folder they were half unfinished celstiaxOC lol.
TNiP is the greatest complete epic I've read on this site. The world is thoroughly corrupted, magical forces are out of control, and every move looks like the losing one. The way some characters change and others stay the same lends itself to tragedy and hope at once.

TThe Night is Passing
Celestia disappears, Equestria falls apart, and Twilight goes West to recover her lost teacher.
Cynewulf · 525k words  ·  941  63 · 16k views

I desperately want to read Blueshift stories to little kids. This is a true slice of life story taking place in the Ponyville scenese we love from the first few seasons. It is also about the conceits we have about maturity and friendship, being alone, and being together. Put this one in the time capsule fellas.

ESo Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
When Lyra finds her old pet fish in the back of the freezer, she sees an opportunity to recapture the glories of her youth. Lyra and Flipper are back together after ten years. After all, a bit of ice never got in the way of true friendship...
Blueshift · 6.4k words  ·  282  5 · 3.7k views

Someone also please nominate Rise and Celestia XVII

The most impressive fic in my favs. It takes the show as a facade undergirded by the real terror of monsters and mortal peril carefully hidden to the protagonists that would then be canonized later with SMILE. Using the typical trope of "turn flash from a nothing character to a hero" by doing horrible things to him, it uses the recipe of not only the flashman novels and influential prisoner of zenda, but also aspects from the modern (40k) spiritual successor Caiaphas cain novels, plus some good kung fu for fun.

TThe Prisoner of Zebra
Flash Sentry: hero, heart breaker ... and self-admitted coward. For the first time, he details his own undeserved rise to heroism (as well as the trouble such a reputation brings him) in his own words.
Tumbleweed · 23k words  ·  225  11 · 3k views
FTL

G'day, you'll find this one was already nominated on page 2... please add your votes there. Good choice of fic though as is your Mono one.

EThe Moonstone Cup
Twilight is invited to Canterlot to compete with some of the greatest unicorns in Equestria!
Cyanide · 61k words  ·  3,009  46 · 36k views
TSimply Rarity
What does it mean for a pony who has everything to be generous?
Somber · 8.8k words  ·  1,330  28 · 13k views
ETwilight Sparkle Makes a Cup of Tea
Sometimes, a cup of tea is just a cup of tea. This is not one of those times.
GhostOfHeraclitus · 1.7k words  ·  1,557  30 · 17k views
EThe Lazy Dragon of Dragonvale
Once upon a time there was a very lazy dragon who did not want to find a town to pillage. So he decided to make one of his own.
Georg · 3k words  ·  1,858  19 · 19k views
ESomewhere Only We Know
Every night, in a little stable just outside of town, an old mare lays down to sleep. Every night she has the same dream of rainbows and open sky...
PatchworkPoltergeist · 4.7k words  ·  875  19 · 17k views

I'd nom some more, but I have a hard time reading fiction so most of what I've read is my own work (which I'm not vain enough to recommend, even though I really like some of my stories).

Also, horizon's Time Enough for Love would be here if he'd ever finish the thing.

ERaven
Anyone who has sought counsel from Princess Celestia has met Raven, her most faithful aide. She has been a veritable second shadow to the princess for as long as the castle staff can remember... longer than they can remember, in fact. Much longer.
SaintChoc · 6k words  ·  1,572  15 · 17k views

It bothers me much more that this story isn't here than that none of mine are (because I don't expect a nomination, but I wonder what is wrong with the world when I'm the first to nominate Raven).

Raven

horizon
Group Admin

Do you guys have all the panelists you need?

Thanks for asking! Alas, we've already hit the panel limit with just the RCL curators attending Bronycon — which is a great problem to have; it'll be the first time I've met some of them in person before!

I think you're going to have some issues with this poll. Not only are there several duplicate entries but, just by the nature of it, the early arrivals will naturally garner more votes than the later arrivals.

There are a few ways we're trying to address that. We'll continue signal boosting the poll throughout the month — feel free to come back later and upvote those on later pages! Also, we're assembling a curated list which won't JUST be the most upvoted (though we'll make sure the audience favorites get in). Each curator will also get a personal nomination — and personally speaking, I'd just like to note that I was dithering back and forth between three fics, then came here and realized they'd all already been posted.

Ultimately, though, while we're doing our best to make it more fair, there is no possible way that truncating the fandom's 100,000+ fics down to The Single Best can be completely fair. We're gonna miss stories. We're gonna miss great stories. The panel will start with a huge disclaimer to that effect. Our real goal, if you'll forgive burying the lede, is to use our panel time to celebrate a handful of the fandom's best fics, and picking a winner is a gimmick we're hoping gets people engaged whether they agree with the result or not. (We'd love to see other people make their own best-of lists! Do it before Bronycon and I'll give you a shout-out on the panel.)

Finally, there will definitely be time set aside in the panel to give shout-outs to great fics which didn't make the list, and we'll give attendees a link to either this thread or a summary thereof, so everyone can later make their own decisions about our judgment. :twilightsmile:

TLong Road to Friendship
As punishment for her crimes, the Elements have cursed Sunset Shimmer to do favors for anyone who asks. Lucky her. And then there's that other Twilight Sparkle she keeps running into...
Albi · 213k words  ·  3,599  86 · 55k views
ESunny Skies All Day Long
Celestia's Day Off
PhantomFox · 8.5k words  ·  9,487  145 · 109k views
TSeashell
Can Sunburst, a pegasus who's a loner by nature, bring together two other ponies who love and desperately need each other but can't admit it?
Winston · 22k words  ·  283  19 · 3.1k views
TGhost Lights
Alone together at the mysterious Seawall, on the edge of the known world, two ponies will help each other share what it means to be a pegasus, unicorn, or earth pony - and the painful wedges those things can create.
Winston · 109k words  ·  105  3 · 1.2k views

This has not a single chance in hell of winning at all, but screw it, it's my single favourite story on the site and I'm going to post it either way.

[Adult story embed hidden]

Now to make myself forgiveable I'll add a bunch of obvious picks.

EMoonlight
"Everypony has fears, Scootaloo. Everypony must face them in their own way."
JasonTheHuman · 116k words  ·  735  10 · 9.6k views
EAnthropology
Lyra is determined to find out the truth behind the mysterious legends of humans.
JasonTheHuman · 130k words  ·  8,483  175 · 150k views
EBest Hell Ever
Twilight goes to hell. It's actually a pretty great place.
Rambling Writer · 2.2k words  ·  2,810  32 · 36k views
TThe Witch of the Everfree
My name is Sunset Shimmer. I am the strongest unicorn in all of Equestria, and my life is over. I'm in hiding and on the run, and I have no idea where to start putting things back together.
MagnetBolt · 56k words  ·  2,582  30 · 36k views
EThe Star In Yellow
Twilight finds a book that drives you mad if you read it
Blueshift · 30k words  ·  1,460  30 · 46k views

Massive second on Triptych

EWarm Colors
All of Sunset's hard work in college is finally nearing its end. As she's sitting in her dorm room on yet another lonely Friday night, she has to wonder what she might have lost along the way.
Holy · 1.5k words  ·  260  17 · 4.2k views
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 283