Royal Canterlot Library 991 members · 638 stories
Comments ( 283 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 283
FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

Those of us among the RCL curators who are attending Bronycon have a panel in the works, "Ponyfic: There Can Be Only One." We're going to determine the greatest MLP fanfic ever written through what I'm sure will be highly scientific and objective processes, for a very serious and legally binding prize.

(It's all in good fun, guys. Be nice. :derpytongue2:)

Of course, in order to do that, we're going to need some nominees for the sixteen entrants. Each of us will be making our own nominations, but we're also opening it up to all of you.

Quick rundown:

You are not limited to RCL features. Between Equestria Daily six-starred stories, the contents of the Pony Fiction Vault, later and greater works by featured authors, and stuff we simply haven't gotten to yet, it would be silly to limit the field to those who've gotten a Friday feature. Pick whatever you want!
Completed stories only. Self-explanatory, really. The greatest story never told still never got told.
Limit one story per post. You can post multiple times, but not to the point of spam. Be reasonable, folks. The reason for the limitation is the next point:
Vote with your thumbs. As with the "Correct the Record" contest, the story-posts with the most upvotes will make it in. (Downvotes will not factor into the decision.)
Ballots close on July 13th. You've got a month. Feel free to signal boost like you're a broadcast tower.

Have at it!

TThe Best Night Ever
Grand Galloping Gala meets Groundhog Day time-loop
Capn_Chryssalid · 54k words  ·  5,445  82 · 75k views
TWhom the Princesses Would Destroy...
Behind the scenes of a perfectly normal visit to Canterlot lies chaos. Also, custard.
GhostOfHeraclitus · 20k words  ·  2,947  44 · 49k views
EThe Silver Standard
Once upon a time, Silver Spoon's life made sense. Now she lives in Ponyville.
PatchworkPoltergeist · 296k words  ·  528  10 · 9k views

[embed]Link to story[/embed] or click the icon above the comment box.

Majin Syeekoh

EMy Sediments Exactly
Maud Pie loses Boulder at the apple farm. Big Mac helps find him.
Twinkletail · 2.9k words  ·  2,217  25 · 23k views
TCultural Artifacts
A little piece of Earth arrives in Equestria, a human and it's home. The citizens of Ponyville and Princess Luna struggle with this newcomer, as it struggles with them.
Dan_s Comments · 652k words  ·  2,445  518 · 62k views
TProject: Sunflower
As the Earth is under threat, humanity reaches out for one last hope of salvation.
Hoopy McGee · 243k words  ·  5,166  92 · 52k views

I hope for the actual contest, y’all will be using ranked choice voting, the fairest voting system. Bracket systems are an abomination.

TThe Keepers of Discord
Being a statue can drive you mad, yes?
Hoopy McGee · 11k words  ·  6,637  90 · 62k views
EKeeping It Simple
Big Mac suddenly finds himself on the business end of friendship.
Ivory Piano · 261k words  ·  2,185  42 · 38k views
TA Stallion for the Time Being
Minuette wants a date to actually go well for once. Princess Twilight Sparkle wants her to stop screwing around with time travel.
Sharp Spark · 21k words  ·  1,148  22 · 12k views
TThe Best of All Possible Worlds
The philosopher Voltaire finds himself in the most-frustrating place imaginable: Equestria
McPoodle · 136k words  ·  1,875  50 · 27k views
EYours Truly
Distance can drive us apart. It can also bring us closer together.
Thanqol · 19k words  ·  2,323  35 · 39k views
EEvil is Easy, Governing is Harder
One day, just like that, Celestia decides she's going to go mad with power.
Aragon · 18k words  ·  1,665  39 · 19k views
EThrough the Well of Pirene
[Now EQD Featured!] A young girl must travel to Equestria to rescue her kid sister from the clutches of a terrible magician.
Ether Echoes · 358k words  ·  1,511  94 · 26k views
EEclipse
A recurring nightmare convinces Luna that, since her return, she has never regained her sister's complete trust. And at the forthcoming Festival of the Eclipse, she decides to make amends with a bold gesture: she removes the moon from the sky.
8686 · 65k words  ·  360  4 · 4.4k views
EMoonlight Palaver
Upon Nightmare Moon's return, the leaders of other nations gather to discuss the situation. They're not especially happy about it.
Carabas · 6.9k words  ·  1,140  15 · 16k views
EFirebird Dahlia
Sunset goes home to Equestria to reconcile with her family. But ten years is a large bridge to gap, especially between sisters.
Albi · 49k words  ·  1,093  17 · 19k views
TBackground Pony
"My name's Lyra Heartstrings, but you won't remember anything. Listen to my symphony, for it
shortskirtsandexplosions · 432k words  ·  6,814  243 · 117k views
TWe'll Dismember It For You, Wholesale!
Are you living in Fillydelphia? Do you have a problem? Is that problem an unwanted dead body? Gilda and Trixie have just the solution for you! Call now!
Neon Czolgosz · 14k words  ·  253  7 · 3.7k views

Since nobody's nominated this yet, and someone should, I will:

TThe Railway Ponies: Highball
Steel doesn’t worry about a colt’s well-being. Railroad cars don’t have much concern for the bodies of ponies. But, despite the dangers, I wanted to be a railway pony. I wanted to be like Highball.
The Descendant · 24k words  ·  330  2 · 3.8k views
THard Reset
Twilight gives her life to stop a changeling invasion. Repeatedly.
Eakin · 36k words  ·  8,216  134 · 112k views

Not even a contest. This is a classic that perfectly balances personal stakes, blockbuster action, comedy, and physiological torture as well as being one of the first hits FIMfiction had. Of all the classic stories, like My Little Dashie and Past Sins, this is the only one that truly holds up as something special.

EPrincess Celestia Hates Tea
Seriously, a lot.
Skywriter · 8.5k words  ·  4,741  71 · 64k views
EThe One Who Got Away
Equestria’s newest baron has just discovered that his new barony is entirely underwater, his new castle is a broken-down old riverboat, and his new subjects are… seaponies. Welcome to the Barony of Fen.
Georg · 22k words  ·  1,963  24 · 17k views
EDressing Room
Star Power isn't Twilight Sparkle -- but she does play her on TV.
GaPJaxie · 3.4k words  ·  1,757  40 · 19k views
Reese #27 · Jun 14th, 2019 · · 1 ·

Okay, had to eventually just pick semi-randomly from a shortlist to try and keep this to a reasonable number, so, in no particular order:

ERiverdream at Sunset: a Manuscript
Lord Dunsany has a curious adventure in the Lands of Dream, in a realm where beasts can talk and the sun rides low in the sky.
GroaningGreyAgony · 7.8k words  ·  217  6 · 2.8k views
Reese #28 · Jun 14th, 2019 · · 3 ·
TTriptych
When a new mission for the Element-Bearers (from an unexpected source) arrives three weeks after Twilight's ascension, she finds herself forced to confront a pair of questions: what truly makes an alicorn? And what happens if it goes wrong?
Estee · 499k words  ·  1,154  64 · 24k views
Reese #29 · Jun 14th, 2019 · · 1 ·
TAround the World in 81 Days (And Other Problems Caused by Leap Years)
When Twilight and Celestia have an argument about the existence of leap years, there’s only one possible way to settle their differences: a race around the world!
GaPJaxie · 63k words  ·  286  13 · 3k views
TTreasures
A young Daring Do embarks on her first adventure.
Carabas · 50k words  ·  167  2 · 3k views

[Adult story embed hidden]

Reese #32 · Jun 14th, 2019 · · 28 ·

[Adult story embed hidden]

TRoyal Peanut Butter
Queen Chrysalis stalks the Princess of Love. Love, as ever, is complicated.
Darkstarling · 9.1k words  ·  513  22 · 5.2k views

Short, simple, and meta:

EHoardsmiths
They are the Hoardsmiths. And they are completely insane.
Skywriter · 2.7k words  ·  647  7 · 6.5k views
TThe Shadow of a Doubt
Nights in Canterlot are for sharing secrets. Ten years have passed, and the six friends have begun to walk their own paths. A burdened princess meets a friendly face among the crowds.
Ardensfax · 20k words  ·  437  8 · 6k views
TA Taste of the Good Life
A down-on-his-luck chef from Manehattan moves to the rural town of Ponyville as part of a get-rich-quick scheme. But he gets a bit more than he bargained for.
Eakin · 70k words  ·  2,359  36 · 20k views
TContraptionology!
When life gives you lemons, make robot monsters.
Skywriter · 133k words  ·  1,078  28 · 18k views
TYule in a Donut Shop
Donut Joe keeps his store open on Hearth’s Warming Eve. And why not? He doesn’t have anywhere else to be, and neither do the tired, bitter ponies who find their way inside. But the Eve is young, and strange things lie ahead...
Rune Soldier Dan · 11k words  ·  553  6 · 7.1k views
TThe Writing on the Wall
Beneath the earth rests something beyond equine understanding.
Horse Voice · 5.7k words  ·  1,751  28 · 59k views
TThree Letters
Troubled. Disturbed. Stabbed. Entombed. Sometimes, when you're playing a word game with a magical princess from another world, the words you choose aren't just words.
horizon · 2.4k words  ·  633  16 · 7.6k views
TWithout a Hive
A young changeling is separated from his hive, and must blend in and survive among the ponies of Equestria.
Phoenix_Dragon · 181k words  ·  2,111  32 · 30k views
TThe Enchanted Library
When one fateful search through the Everfree Forest leads Rarity to a secret library inhabited by the spirit of an ancient alicorn princess, she realises that it may be time to start believing in fairy tales.
Monochromatic · 337k words  ·  4,652  69 · 66k views
TBiblical Monsters
"Put your boots on," Adams said. "There's a biblical monster in my house."
Horse Voice · 10k words  ·  1,918  169 · 21k views
ECollaborators
Ahuizotl threatens to sue A. K. Yearling for libel unless she stops writing the Daring Do books. She makes him a counter-offer.
Baal Bunny · 9.9k words  ·  658  6 · 5.8k views
EYes, Apple Bloom, there *is* a Santa Hooves
"Dear Santa Hooves. My name is Apple Bloom, and I don't want presents for Hearth's Warming this year. I just want my cutie mark..."
Lucky Dreams · 2.8k words  ·  949  11 · 18k views
EReading Rainbow
When Twilight is admitted to the Ponyville hospital, Rainbow Dash is there for her.
Corejo · 7.4k words  ·  4,053  67 · 60k views
TThe Arbitrage of Moments
When you have so little, and another has so much, it’s easy to justify theft. The more precious the commodity, the easier it is to tell yourself you need it more than they do. And what is more precious than time?
GaPJaxie · 12k words  ·  402  12 · 4.4k views

A few GAPJaxie stories have been nominated, but I think this is one of his best. Despite the dark mood and subject matter that the story deals with, the story and its conclusion ultimately come back to the core themes of MLP around friendship and compassion.

I second this nomination. Biblical Monsters has such vivid imagery and great writing throughout. I love that the story emphasizes the fundamental differences between humans and ponies and turns on the fact that the humans assume the ponies would act like humans while Twilight assumes the humans would act like ponies.

Came here to say this exactly.

Somebody was obligated to put this here, so I might as well be the one:

EMy Little Dashie
What would you do if you found a Filly Rainbow Dash in a box?
ROBCakeran53 · 13k words  ·  13,394  820 · 558k views
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 283