• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,725 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,725

PreviousChapters Next
Dissolve

Rainbow Dash sat on a hilltop for hours.

Her once-home hovered in open view, due east.

She cradled a bit bag in her grasp. It felt heavy... but after selling all of her possessions, Rainbow Dash had somewhat hoped that it would feel heavier. She knew it wasn't just the numbness speaking; her eyes would never deceive her.

Rainbow heard the flapping of multiple wings—followed by the roar of a hot air balloon's furnace.

She swiftly pocketed her funds away in her saddlebag. Her ruby eyes traveled up.

A balloon floated in—bearing the colors of a familiar Realtor. A half-dozen pegasi workers accompanied it, floating in formation. They drew behind them a chariot that dragged a large mechanical apparatus. Barking orders to one another, the ponies descended to a patch of earth directly beneath the cloud. They parked the chariot and unhitched the machine.

The seventh pony in the basket of the hot air balloon started hollering commands. Following his lead, the pegasi flew back up to the house. First, they yanked the "For Sale" sign out from the cloudstone stoop. Then they proceeded to skeletonize the foundation of wood, glass, metal, and plastic parts.

Rainbow Dash watched, struggling to keep her breaths even. She figured she was a conspicuous blue figure seated atop her hill so close to the operation. Truth is, nopony bothered to look at her. They'd probably not even see her if they turned their heads.

Forty minutes passed. At last, the pegasi fired up the manabatteries of the metal machine. They aimed a series of tubed funnels up at the floating base of the house. Then—with coordinated wing movements—the six pegasi flew furious circles around the house in counter-clockwise formation.

The machine hummed loudly. Bolts of electricity sparked outward, making contact with the foundation of the household and producing tiny bursts of thunder.

Puff by puff, portion by portion, Rainbow Dash's house dissolved into a cyclonic column of vapor. The machine roared louder, and the mare watched as the misty material was cycled lifelessly through the funnels and into the heart of the machine. The air rang with the grinding of gears and the thrusts of pistons. Out the rear of the machine, a series of hazy clouds thinly materialized, ejected from the apparatus' core. The pegasi stopped flying in circles and prepared to kick the clumps of mist together, forming a large patch of cloud that was four times the size of the previous cloudstone structure. To this, they affixed a complex series of enchanted netting—which was then harnessed to the basket of the hot air balloon.

The seventh pony inside the basket saluted to the others, then fired up the furnace. The balloon drifted away—towing the misty cloud behind it... carrying it off until it became a grayish blue dot in the distance. Meanwhile, the other six pegasi reattached the machine to their chariot and flew off in the direction of Cloudsdale.


Rainbow Dash sat alone—and silent—in the shadow of nothing. A brisk wind kicked up, filling a patch of air that hadn't been filled in years. The morning waxed on cold and gray, and it was somewhere in the midst of this emptiness that Rainbow Dash stood up, turned about, and trudged her way towards the heart of Ponyville.

She had no reason to hurry anymore.

PreviousChapters Next