• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,702 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,702

PreviousChapters Next
Infitrots

Wooden doors swung open.

Everypony in the saloon looked at the entrance. The bartender paused in wiping her glass clean. Several poker-playing equines looked up from their tables in mid-game. A few drunken souls paused in hobbling to glance over from the dimly-lit corner of the establishment.

Rainbow Dash lingered in the doorframe, reeling slightly in her cloak. She bit her lip upon feeling every set of eyes on her. Adjusting her hood, she shuffled over towards the bar counter. Gradually, the patrons resumed what they were doing, filling the air with a murmuring soundtrack.

When Rainbow reached the first of many stools, she turned to look at the patrons at large.

Most of them were random faces that she couldn't be helped to recognize. However—at every other table or so—she spotted familiar shades of lavender, pink, yellow, and white. An elegant Rarity leaned against a piano, garbed in suggestive laces and feathers. Across from her, a surly Fluttershy with an eyepatch stared deeply into her mug. A drunken Twilight Sparkle lingered near the far wall, hiccuping and smiling dumbly.

"... ... ..." Rainbow turned to looked over the counter.

"So, stranger... what will it be?" chirped a familiar voice.

Rainbow opened her mouth, but lingered.

The bartender looked up, her blue eyes blinking under a bubbly tuft of curly pink mane hair. She paused in wiping the counter. "What are you looking at, filly?" She snorted. "You're supposed to walk out of here crocked, not the other way around!"

Rainbow tightened her jaw muscles. She leaned in. "I guess your name isn't Pinkie Pie, is it?"

"Pffft. If you're looking for a working girl, that's somewhere down the street, lady." The bartender gestured at the musty interior. "This here's a clean establishment!"

"Mrmfff.. yeah... I bet."

"Look, are you gonna have a drink or aren't you?"

"Whatever," Rainbow muttered, turning to glare across the saloon once again. No single pony had a horn or wings. "Just gimme something cold... with ice."

"That's more like it." The salmon pony scurried behind the counter. "Ice cold cider coming up—"

"No!" Rainbow barked, forcing the patrons to glance at her yet again. "Anything but cider..." Rainbow shuddered. "Just... just cold water."

The bartender raised an eyebrow. Nevertheless, she eventually nodded. "Oki doki loki..."

As she trotted off, Rainbow sat on a stool, shuddering "Now that's creepy..." She turned and looked out the entrance from which she came.

In the dark alleyway outside, brieft gusts of wind blew at dust and debris. A poster bearing Flim and Flam's faces rolled in and out of view, disappearing beyond the brickwork.

Rainbow exhaled heavily. "Okay... so Shindig's dream is a giant flying city... which is not made of clouds." Her nostrils flared. "Which is totally stupid, by the way." She looked back inside the saloon. "And it's full of ponies that Applejack knows." She blinked. "Except me." She looked left and right again, once more not spotting any equine with an azure blue coat. "Just why is that? Because I'm actually here? Or..." She gulped. "Do I just not mean that much to her?"

"Here you go, stranger." The bartender with Pinkie's mane slid an ice cold glass of water over to the mare. "You... uh... enjoy talking to yourself, now, ya hear?" With that, she shuffled nervously away.

Rainbow gripped the container and raised it to her lips. "But why are all of Applejack's friends and family appearing anyways? Is she... dreaming against Shindig's dream? Imagining upstream, so to speak?"

She took a sip of the glass, reveling in the cool, cold taste. However, she paused.

"... ... ...wait, why would I even need to feel parched?" Rainbow squinted. "I mean... this is a dream, isn't it?" She shuddered in place, her hood rustling across the back of her head. "What in the heck is going on here, anyways?"

Just then, a loud commotion rolled through the nearby alleyway. Several patrons glanced out ahead of Rainbow Dash. She swiveled about as well—just in time to see—

"Lemme go! Lemme go!" A portly stallion grunted, thrashing about in a disheveled suit as several more ponies wrangled him in from outside. "This has gotta be some kind of a mistake!"

"It's no mistake, ya money-grabbing punk!" One of the stallions shoved his head against the wall as he and his buddies roughly restrained him. "We saw you robbing from other ponies two platforms down! You're in league with the Blue Jay!"

"Who in the heck is the Blue Jay?!"

"Hey!" The bartender shouted. "Trotston! Merrytail! What in the blazes is the meaning of this?!"

"Today's your lucky day, Whiterag!" A doppelganger of Filthy Rich turned towards the bartender, grinning. "We've caught ourselves a featherling! This punk's got the Blue Jay written all over him!"

"Yeah!" Another stallion beamed. "We're gonna fetch us one heck of a reward! It'll feed all our families well past Coronation Day!"

"Look, I don't even know how I got here!" the stallion sputtered, tossing his brown mane back as he gnashed his teeth. "Could I just talk to somepony in charge?"

"Heh... brother, you don't want to speak to the ones in charge."

Rainbow leaned forward, squinting. At last, a breath left her. "....Donut Joe?"

PreviousChapters Next