• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,724 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,724

PreviousChapters Next
Party of Three

"Okay..." Sunset Shimmer wheezed, rubbing her forehead and sweating. "Last group. Step on in."

Top Dog and several of his cohorts walked into the still-steaming ring of crystals. A lingering cluster of Don Canter's henchstallions stood with them. Night hung over the dismantled campsite as the last of the thugs prepared for their magical trip home.

"Explain to me again why you couldn't send us all back in one go?" Top Dog grumbled.

"Didn't you hear her the first time?" Romulus asked, glaring with his one eye in the starlight. "This is the fastest way she can get all of you punks back to Equestria. In small bursts."

"It'll... t-take us some time to reach the castle," Sunset Shimmer explained. "And I'll be spending the entire time charging the leylines through my horn." She gulped. In an hour or two, look for the crystals to light up, and make sure you, Don Canter, and everyone else are standing inside the circle." She took a deep breath. "I will have enough... erm... "juice," so to speak, to bring you all to the castle in one go."

"And we'll finally be able to tear Aatxe a new one?" Top Dog asked.

"Absolutely." Romulus nodded. "You learn fast." He arched an eyecrest. "Want a treat?"

A few of the canine mutts chuckled.

Top Dog slapped a random diamond dog upside the head, silencing the rest. "Mrmmmfff... this had better work, or I'm having somepony's guts for garters."

"Hey! My horn's a lot better!" Sunset said with a frown. "I will port you all back here!"

"Wasn't talking about you." Top Dog glared across the abandoned campsite. "You... fuzzy petite pony... I've got a food dish with your entrails' name on it."

Rainbow rubbed her ear, then casually glanced his way. "What was that? Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my not giving a darn."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand scene," Lancie said, pulling a fisted talon. He bore a granite smirk. "Try to untuck your tail from between your legs, fido. You don't wanna materialize in Equestria with that thing in your mouth."

"Meh." Top Dog waved at Sunset. "Do that voodoo that you do."

"Doing..." The unicorn concentrated, firing a beam of magic from her horn.

Rainbow watched carefully as the magic flew over the circle of crystals like a yellow laser beam. Once above them all, the string of light split into several—each of them seeking the nearest shard. All of the shards lit up with red light, and—in a flash—the thugs and mutts were all gone.

The wasteland hung in eerie silence while the crystals dimmed and dimmed.

"Alright, then," Romulus said, his lone talon-steps echoing across the rock in ghostly crapes. He reached for one of the many glowing crystals. "Best that we get packed and—"

"No!" Sunset exclaimed, halting him with an outstretched hoof. "Just... give it a few minutes."

"Huh?" Romulus frowned at her. "Listen, ya horse lady, we're delaying long enough as it is on account of your bruised head-stick!"

"The shards are extremely sensitive immediately after being exposed to the magical leylines," Sunset explained. "If we want to move them with the least chance of the reagents shattering, then we will wait a few minutes!" She exhaled through a frown. "Just a few minutes... that's all I'm asking for."

"Hrmmmmmfff..." Romulus frowned. "You stupid ponies and your prissy laws of sorcery." He turned, his glare falling on Rainbow Dash. "And I suppose your skulls are much easier to break after taking a dump, too."

"Depends on whose nest we're dumping in," Rainbow slurred.

"Hardy har..." Romulus paced across the empty space, his feathers glistening in the starlight. "When I agreed to go on this mission, the last thing I expected was to be sharing a road trip with two soft-hooves and a bunch of oversized paperweights." He pointed a talon at Rainbow's chest. "If you try anything... anything to compromise my business agreement with Don Canter, then—I swear—there's no place in the world where you can hide and not hear the screams of your closest companions."

"I take it, then, that you will always have a blood vendetta," Rainbow droned. "For as long as you live."

"You bet your butt."

Rainbow's nostrils flared. "Good to know." She then trotted off without another word.

Romulus glared after her.

"Hmmm... well..." Sunset examined the crystals, trotting around them. "That was deliciously ominous."

"She's so full of it," Romulus grumbled. "The puny pegasus doesn't even know how to make a proper threat."

"Hey, just keep telling yourself that. I would if I were you too."

Romulus turned to glare at the unicorn. "Huh?"

Sunset looked up, blinking casually. "You don't remember all the things she did to whoop your butt back in Dredgemane. Not like I do."

"Pfft! Don't be ridiculous..." Romulus snarled. "I would have eviscerated her on the spot! I will eviscerate her on the spot!"

Sunset shrugged. "Like I said..." She resumed her examinations. "Just keep telling yourself that... if it helps."

Romulus lingered in place. Eventually he glared after the pegasus, muttering: "I would..."

PreviousChapters Next