• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,706 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,706

PreviousChapters Next
Not Feeling It

Rainbow Dash lay on her back across the shower floor with her shoulders propped up against the wall. She gazed blindly into the hazy mists while warm, warm water cascaded all over her head and mane. Her nostrils flared, her muzzle navigating the corners of a prolonged grimace.

With a quite groan, she plopped over to her side and hugged herself, curling her knees to her chest. She remained that way until the water supply overhead had drained itself. Even then, Rainbow lingered in the dripping silence of a cold stall, sighing to herself.


“And then the lil' guy said 'Why don't you come compete with me, big bro? We could totally kick the other ponies' flanks!'” Thunderlane smirked and rolled his eyes as he kicked a cloud to dissipating bits. “And then I said, 'Rumble, it's the Sisterhooves Social.' Colts don't quite cut it.”

Candy Floss giggled, holding a hoof over her muzzle. “No waaaaay. And then what happened?”

“Pfft. He cried, of course.”

“Oh. My. Celestia.” Candy Floss hugged herself, red in the face. “Your little brother is soooooo cute!”

“Heh. You ask me? He tries too hard.”

“Don't tell me you're embarrassed.”

“What? No! I love my little bro! Even if he's a little pansy from time to—” Thunderlane's words came to a stop as he glanced aside.

“What is it?” Candy Floss turned and blinked. “Oh! Hey, there you are, Rainbow Dash!” She waved at the pegasus floating limply towards them. “Better late than never, huh?”

“Meh.” Rainbow Dash flew to her station and began lethargically kicking clouds.

Candy Floss bit her lip. She looked at Thunderlane.

The stallion cleared his throat and pivoted in mid-air. “Your... uh... mane looks extra shiny, today, Miss Dash!” He ignored Candy's facehoofing and continued, “Did you just fly through a rain shower?”

“Meh.” Rainbow continued bucking clouds, drifting gradually away from the two.

Thunderlane raised an eyebrow.

Candy Floss fidgeted. With a worried expression, she opened her mouth to say something. Thunderlane placed a gentle hoof on her shoulder and shook her head. Their gazes lingering on the pegasus, the two flew off to the opposite edge of Ponyville's rooftops.

Rainbow Dash concentrated on her work, steadily kicking one patch of clouds clear after another.


Hours after weather flying, Rainbow Dash lay on a tree branch, overlooking the eastern half of Ponyville. She took a long breath, resting her limp muzzle on a pair of forelimbs.

Blinking, she stared down at the ponies trotting about their daily business. At one point, she spotted a very familiar yellow shape shuffling alongside a very familiar red shape. Raising her head, she narrowed her ruby eyes and leaned forward.

Big Macintosh and Fluttershy were trotting towards the marketplace. Big Mac had a large wagon full of produce behind him, and Fluttershy carried a dainty little saddlebag. After walking a block, the two stopped, turning to face each other. Fluttershy said something, her cheeks rosy. Big Mac chuckled, brushed the back of his head, and nodded while uttering one word.

Fluttershy leaned in, and the two nuzzled gently... but briefly. Backtrotting away from each other, they shared a lasting smile before going their separate ways. Rainbow's eyes lingered on Fluttershy, watching as the pegasus took off with an extraordinary show of strength and flew happily towards the far edge of town.

Rainbow Dash breathed quietly. She raised a hoof up to her cheek, rubbing concentric circles while closing her eyes. Her lips pursed, and for a moment she almost mimicked the nuzzling movement she had seen her friend engage in.

Suddenly, she winced. Opening her eyes with an exasperated expression, she stared at her hoof. Flexing and unflexing it, she sighed once again at the persistent, tingling numbness.

Her head tilted about. She stared at the spacious green canopy of Everfree Forest. Rainbow squirmed slightly... then squirmed again. Clenching her jaws, she finally rolled off the tree branch, performed a swift flip, and flapped her wings.

Effortlessly, she glided close to the earth, picked up speed, and coasted her way towards Everfree.


Rainbow Dash's hooves touched down on springy grass. Cicadas buzzed loudly above and around her as she stepped forward, one crunching step at a time.

At last, she stood before the front door to Zecora's hut. The smell of freshly burning incense tickled the pegasus' nostrils. The zebra had to have been home.

With a nervous breath, Rainbow Dash raised her hoof before the door. She paused, fidgeted, then lowered it. Instead, she chose to trot around and raise her wingfeathers to the door. She flapped them, making a knocking sound far louder than her forelimbs could at the moment.

“I'm making a brew, pony friend! But please, by all means, do come in!”

Rainbow gulped, opened the door, and stepped inside.

PreviousChapters Next