• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,723 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,723

PreviousChapters Next
Live and Let Lancie

The wind was piercing at this point.

It knifed at Rainbow's eyes, tearing her sockets to the bleeding point.

She gnashed her teeth, daring to squint down into the impenetrable darkness, hoping to see a sliver of substance against the fog of night.

"Lancie...!" she hollered, hoping her voice would sail faster than her own body.

All was silence, save for a howling cold.

Rainbow dropped and dropped.

"Lancie!!!" Louder this time, practically exploding.

And then—

A glint. Like a burst of sparks from the bosom of the world. Rainbow saw a pair of gray eyes blinking—a dull sheen against the ever widening nothing. Then, just as quickly, the figure toppeled, and a sea of gravel and stone loomed directly beneath his fragile body.

"Sparky, I think—ohhhhh that's not good—!"

"Httt!" Rainbow clenched her jaws tight, angled her wings like scimitars, and corkscrewed past the pull of gravity. The air behind her clapped, and she carved downward in a frictious arc. Before she could blink, she was scooping Lancie up in outstretched hooves. A fraction of a second later, she angled her wings, pulling up—stretching the tendons of her muscles until every nerve screamed. And soon, she was too. "Aaaaa-aaa-aaauugh!"

The fuzz of her chest curled from the sheer heat of skimming the earth. A few palpitating seconds later, she finally struck gravel.

"Ooomf!"

She bounced, struck it again, then tumbled. Her body rolled and rolled more times than she could count. All the while—though—she clutched her legs to her chest, and protected the fragile statue nestled neatly within.

"Grnngh—augh! Unnff!"

Finally, at long last, Rainbow Dash skidded to a stop alongside a cluster of large boulders. Soft starlight filtered between them in a band, christening the pegasus' forehead with silver shine. She sat up, shivering, not once letting go of the figure in her grasp.

"Yeeesh! Sparky!" Lancie wheezed, sticking his muzzle out so he could have the space to utter: "Wonderful swan dive, but could you maybe score more than a three point five on the landing?" He shook his head. "The Caneighdians could do better!"

Rainbow shook, shuddered.

"Wait... wait..." Lancie glanced around at the dark expanse surrounding them. "What the...?" He gnashed his teeth. "You lost the griffons' ruby? Hoooo boy... you're gonna hate yourself in the morning—"

"I don't care..." Rainbow squeaked. "I don't care about no stinkin' ruby, okay?"

"But—"

"I don't care!" she snarled, but it was a very brief thing. A wilted foal dripped out the other end. "I need you."

Lancie blinked into the starscape. His stone gullet closed up. "Sparky..."

"I n-need you," she whimpered again, burying her moist eyes against his stone mane. "I need you to save Apple Bloom. I need you to save Applejack." She shook. "I need you to save me..."

He glanced awkwardly at her, his granite ears folding back. "I always could... y'know..."

Rainbow shook and shuddered.

The statue shrugged. "All you ever needed to do was to wish for—"

"Just shut up, stupid," she stammered, sniffling. "We both know what I wish."

"Yes..." Lancie nodded. With a sigh, he eventually reached out and patted the edges of her shoulder. "Yes, I suppose we do."

The two remained there, huddled in the shadow of stars, alone in a beastly world.

PreviousChapters Next