• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,704 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,704

PreviousChapters Next
Wouldn't Be "Mare Gear" Without Cutscenes

Serenity Shindig marched slowly through the crowd, her hardened eyes locked on Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow stared back while the members of her posse shifted about nervously.

The guards were no less uncomfortable. Several of them squirmed while one shuffled up towards the alicorn. "But... your Majesty!" he gasped. "These ponies—they hurt several of us downstairs while breaking out of the prison that your sons put them in—"

"Silence!" Shindig growled, forcing the entire chamber into icy quiet. At last, she stood within bucking distance of Rainbow and her companions. "You have come for the Cider Princess, I imagine."

Rainbow looked at her eyes, then at her horn. Standing her grown, she nodded and said, "Applejack doesn't belong here, Shindig," she said. "I don't care what you call her or how many layers of dresses you put on her body. This place is a lie—and so is what you're turning her into."

Shindig's eyes narrowed. "And just what would you know of my daughter, Blue Jay?"

"Lots," Rainbow said. "More than you'll ever know."

Shindig gazed at her, saying nothing.

"Rainbow Dash..." Epcot whispered, leaning in. "There's something odd here. Shindig. I sense—"

"Shhhhh..." Rainbow nodded, her eyes glued on the alicorn. "Just let it come out of her mouth..."

Shindig's nostrils flared. Eventually, she said, "Have my sons Frederick and Felix intercepted you?"

Rainbow shook her head. "They have not."

Shindig nodded. "I see." A beat. She then spoke in a swift, firm tone: "If you wish to see your beloved 'Applejack,' then you will come with me."

Gustave and Mulia Mild exchanged surprised expressions.

"You... you actually mean it?" Stu Leaves shifted his weight against Donut Joe's side. "After all that we've done, you'll—"

"Only... the Blue Jay," Shindig reiterated. "The rest of you are free to go."

Rainbow blinked, her muzzle agape. "Go...?"

"Wait..." Mulia's eyes narrowed. "...you're just going to let us go?"

"Or would you rather return to the prison cells downstairs?" Shindig's gaze washed over the various escapees. "Do not confuse my offer for casual sympathy. You have committed innumerable crimes against Philanthropy, but my chief concern is for my daughter." She pointed. "The Blue Jay comes with me. The rest of you, leave the Tower. If you go quietly and obediently, you will not be pursued."

Donut Joe's teeth chattered nervously. He flung a look at Rainbow Dash.

"Rainbow..." Stu murmured. "Are we gonna believe this mare? I mean... after all she's done..."

Rainbow took a deep breath, her jaws clenched. "Go, Stu."

The stallion blinked. "But Rainbow, it could be a trap!"

"It could be many things, but it's all we have that'll get us... that'll get me one step closer to Applejack," Rainbow said quietly. She finally wrenched her gaze off Shindig to look at the stallion. "I promise, I'll do whatever I can to get Applejack out. But right now, something tells me Shindig is offering us more than we had ever hoped."

"I do detect something different about her," Epcot murmured. "As if the true mortal is closer to the surface."

"But what does that even mean?!" Stu wheezed. "It's too much of a risk to take, Rainbow!"

"We haven't much of a choice right now, Stu," Rainbow said. "Go deep into the city. Hide away."

'And what if something happens to you?"

"It won't," Rainbow said. "But, whatever tomorrow brings, Apple Jack must not get coronated. Got it?"

"I... I..."

Rainbow Dash took a bold step forward. She spoke in a tone so that everypony in the room could hear, mortal and construct alike. "Very well, I accept your offer, Queen Shindig. So long as nothing will happen to my friends..."

Shindig nodded. She turned to look at one of the many gawking guards. "Escort them out of the premises at once. That is my command to you."

"But, Your Highness, if they were to rally together—"

"Guard my daughter... not them." Shindig frowned. "Is that understood?"

The guards eventually nodded, then bowed. "Yes, Your Majesty..." They turned towards the group.

Stu Leaves gulped. He gave Rainbow one last pensive look before hobbling off with Donut Joe, Gustave, and Mulia Mild.

Epcot trotted backwards, eyes on Rainbow Dash. Eventually, she turned around, morphing into a sphere that floated after the escorted group.

Muzzle set, Rainbow turned towards Shindig. "Well then, Queeny..." She nodded. "...after you."

"Very well." Shindig twirled with a flutter of her wings and marched towards an ornate staircase. "This way... where we can speak in private..."

PreviousChapters Next