• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,704 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,704

PreviousChapters Next
Miracledashery

The first thing Rainbow Dash noticed was how incredibly full the central lawn of Sweet Apple Acres was. The farmhouse was virtually surrounded with wagons, tents, and what looked to be a miniature stage for fundraising events during the daytime. If Rainbow didn't know any better, she'd guess that over half of Ponyville was parked directly outside the Apple Family Residence over the better part of the last week.

Nevertheless, she made a wind-whistling bee-line for the front porch.

There, she hovered before the door, cradling the iced lavenders in one forelimb and raising the other hoof to strike the doorframe.

At last, she lingered.

Her jaw muscles tightened and her ears twitched.

Beyond the flapping of her wings, Rainbow Dash could hear the shuffling of hoofsteps, the murmuring of melancholic voices, and a familiar... weeping breath or two.

A knot formed in the back of the pony's throat.

Slowly... with nervous wingstrokes... she strafed to the left, gliding past several windows. She peered in, seeing familiar faces... familiar coat colors... lavender... yellow... white... pink.

Then, with a shift of her feathers, she ascended.

The mare reached the upstairs bedroom windows. Gazing beyond one pane, she saw Apple Bloom lying quietly in bed. A golden-blonde head rested against the covers. Applejack was seated next to her, and the simple twitch of the sleeping mare's ears sent electric jolts surging through the pegasus' heart.

But Rainbow's eyes narrowed on the filly in particular. She gazed for several silent seconds. At last, she saw Apple Bloom's forelimbs stir, followed by a shifting of her face muscles.

Rainbow exhaled with relief. Then, flapping her wings more slowly, she descended until she was once again level with the first floor.

There, she found a window, and beyond it the pegasus spotted stripes... gray fur... and leafy ears.

Holding her breath, Rainbow drifted forward. One by one, she planted the potted specimens of once-extinct flowers along the windowsill. As soon as she made sure they were balanced, she drifted backwards.

Nopony inside was even looking her way.

Clenching her teeth, Rainbow flew forward, gripped the edge of the window, and savagely lifted with the full extent of her numb limbs.

"Grnnngh... grkkk!"

At last, she got the window to budge... and then raised it the rest of the way.

A cold breeze from the outside world whistled inward, filtering into the air of the bottom floor.

Within a blink, Rainbow soared up, darting out of sight of those downstairs.

She rested against the ceiling, holding her breath, feeling the pounding of her heart.

At first, she sensed nothing.

But then...

Hoofsteps. Quiet as a shadow's—but still there. Rainbow peered down just far enough to see a fanged muzzle peering out, then leaning back in. A pair of dark hooves gripped the window, preparing to close it shut once more.

However... the stallion froze, and Rainbow heard a deep... deep gasp emanate from his lungs.

"By the Goddess," Noir exhaled. He picked one of the potted flowers up. Rainbow had never seen the sarosian tremble before, but right now he was struggling to even hold the specimen upright. "Zecora... Miss Zecora! Come here! Right away!"

Exhausted hoofsteps dragged across the floorboards.

"Just what is it, my midnight friend?" A tired yawn. "On a good night's rest, our expertise depends."

"Feast your eyes, my dear..."

"... ... ...black shadows of November!" The zebra's familiar voice stammered. "Is... is this iced lavender?!"

"Ice lavender?" Galloping hoofsteps. "Let Trixie see!" The mother of all gasps. "Sparkle! Sparkle, come look! Do Trixie's eyes deceive her?!"

"Omigosh! Omigosh! How did that even get here?!"

"To answer that, I cannot guess! By utter circumstance, we are blessed!"

"It matches everything the Lunar Code has ever documented in our archives."

"I agree, Mr. Noir. These are... without a doubt... real specimens of Iced Lavender!"

"Then what is everypony waiting for?! Trixie will go fetch the mortar and pestle!"

"Shhhh! Be careful about it! This is the first documented finding of Iced Lavender in... in f-forever! We have to do this right or we won't make a proper formula for Apple Bloom!"

"Just how did they even get here?!"

"Did... did somepony—"

"We've wasted enough time! Wake the Apple Family! Tell them we're working on an antidote right now! Oh, blessed Celestia! It's a miracle! As sure as I'm born..."

Rainbow Dash held a pair of hooves over her muzzle. With flapping wings, she ascended high above the farm house...

...and began pacing in midair.

PreviousChapters Next