• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,722 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,722

PreviousChapters Next
Fitting

Rainbow Dash rung the doorbell to the Carousel Boutique.

She stepped back, stretching her wings in and out while standing in her yellow delivery apron.

At last, Rarity opened the door to the noonday light. She smiled the instant she saw Rainbow. "Greetings, Rainbow Dash. Timely as ever." She stifled an airy laugh, eyeing the mare's work gear. "And I see you've yet again brought the jaundice-inspired mode of dress that they've ceremoniously slathered you in."

"Yeesh." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "When you know how to rub it in, you know how to rub it in."

"Now, is that any way to speak to a respectful client?" Rarity batted her eyelashes.

"Heh. Right. I get it." Rainbow smirked as she trotted over to her wagon and hefted a brown package over her flank. "I'm surprised, Rarity. You ordered standard shipping for this... whatever-this-is."

"Yes, so?"

"I mean, like, you almost always order first-class," Rainbow said as Rarity held the door open for her. She trudged into the Boutique, laying the large box down in the corner of the interior design room. "Or premium. Or—heck—anything that can afford a slightly prettier, even shiny packaging."

"Well, in truth, Rainbow," Rarity said, levitating a pen as she scribbled her name on the delivery mare's work order. "What contents of the package don't matter nearly as much as the means of conveyance."

Rainbow stood up straight, blinking. All of the sudden, her ears and wings drooped simultaneously. "Ughhh... Rarityyyy..." She looked over with dull eyes. "Was this yet another excuse to trap me inside your Boutique?"

Rarity tilted her chin up with a dainty smile. "Guilty..." She capped the pen. "...as charged." A wink. "Darling."

"Rarity, please. We've been through all this before." Rainbow waved a hoof. "If this is yet another scheme to get me into a dress you're modeling or fix me for a date that I have no intention of going on—"

"Is this your last delivery?"

"...huh?"

"Is this your last delivery of the day, Rainbow Dash?"

"Er... yes." Rainbow blinked. "Why?"

Rarity trotted past her. "You're right. I did arrange this so I could see you."

"Uh huh." Rainbow turned to glare at her. "What for?"

"Why..." Rarity reached her desk and pivoted about with a graceful pose. "...so I could see you."

Rainbow blinked.

"And don't you think that it's somewhat odd... and a tad bit dismaying that it would take such a bizarre act of comical subterfuge to make such a thing happen?" Rarity smiled daintily. "A simple visit?"

"I..." Rainbow grimaced. "Rares, I-I don't what to say. I mean..." She gulped. "I certainly hope you don't think that I'm not—"

"No guilt trip intended, darling. I know you've been a busy mare these past few months." Rarity cleared her throat, fluffing her mane as she glanced aside. "A very... very busy mare. But nevertheless..." She looked at the pegasus. "Don't be fooled by the magnificently ludicrous gap between your brutish athletics and my eloquent mannerisms. There's no amount of contrast between you and yours truly that would change the fact that I absolutely adore your presence... and would greatly like to have a simple conversation with you. Here and now." She smiled. "As friends."

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to speak, but she faltered. Soon, she plopped back on her haunches and tugged her apron off with a limp gesture. As her eyes met the floor, the moistened slightly, and she murmured aloud: "Is... has it really gotten that lame?" Her voice was thin, raspy. "I... I know I've got a lot on my plate. Like... seriously a lot. But... but it was never meant to make me a stranger. I mean..." She sniffled. "I-I'm still the Element of Loyalty... r-right?"

A soft white hoof rested on Rainbow's shoulder.

The mare looked up, ears folded back.

Rarity bore an elegant smile. "And you've never stopped. Please, Rainbow Dash... by all means..." She hummed to herself as she returned to her workbench and resumed working on an alteration job. "...tell me. What's been on your mind as of late."

Rainbow cleared her throat. "Just... that simple? You wanted to chat?"

"Mmmhmmm..." Rarity continued to grace the Boutique with a generous smile.

The pegasus exhaled, her wingtips relaxing with more potency than Zecora's potion would muster. "Well... uh... wh-where do I begin?" She stood up, her dimples rosy. "First off... you ever been to Fillyda?"

"Oh, heavens no!"

"Heh heh heh..."

"But please, do go on, dear..."

PreviousChapters Next