• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,723 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,723

PreviousChapters Next
You Have Chosen... Wisely

"You have a bunch of trophies of your own, don't you?"

"Lancie..." Rainbow grumbled, strolling through the many-many shelves.

"What, is it illegal to have idle conversation?" The tiny statue shrugged. "Not like you're being quick about this, anyways."

"These griffons are friggin' hoarders, I swear," Rainbow muttered.

"Isn't a part of you at least remotely jealous?" he asked.

"Not... really..."

"Oh?"

Rainbow tongued the inside of her muzzle, glancing left and right at the many glittering objects. "Most of this stuff is... abandoned junk from Celestia knows how many years ago," she muttered. "Like... what's the friggin' point of having trophies if all of the accomplishments are forgotten?"

"You cant pawn accomplishments for bits, now can you?"

"Lancie..."

The statue shrugged again. "Well? One day, even you will go the way of all mortals, and what will become of your trophies?"

Rainbow exhaled with a shudder. "Must we?"

"We must!"

The mare frowned, shuffling ahead. "Apple Bloom is the one dying, not me."

"But—"

"She is the only concern right now, okay? Not me."

Lancie leaned back in the satchel pocket, smirking. "From the way your former gal pal, Gilda, puts it—seems you were a pony who used to live in the present."

"Mmmff..."

"Did that ever really change? I mean..." Lancie reclined against her. "All this doting on Princess Frecklestasia... seems like you still wish to keep the feelings of the present more alive than the reality of the future."

"I can't believe after all the crud we've been through together—all for AJ—that you could actually believe such a stupid thing."

He smirked. "So, then, what ever became of the extra-special letter you wrote to Her Majesty, Miss Apples?"

Rainbow Dash paused slightly, blinking into crystalline space.

"Surely her dog didn't eat it?"

"I..." Rainbow shuddered. "I didn't give it to her."

"If we had a paint bucket around here, I'd ask you to color me surprised. As it stands with you, however, I don't think I need either." Lancie shawned. "The paint bucket nor the surprise."

"Lancie, it... it just wasn't appropriate," Rainbow muttered. "Not with her sister being bitten and... and..." She gnashed her teeth, then shook her head. "I swear! This universe friggin' hates me."

"Does it, now?"

"It's always one step forward but three steps back. Honest to Goddess..."

"Ah, yes..." Lancie winked. "Because a universe that hates you would turn you into a hero, throw you into one exciting adventure after another, and give you plenty of reasons to feel warm and fuzzy over all of the nice things you've done for your best friend in secret."

Rainbow Dash was speechless.

"Well...?"

"None of that matters," Rainbow grumbled, shuffling forward. "At least... not until I've found a cure that'll fix Apple Bloom and make Applejack happy."

"Hmmm... so perhaps you indeed have changed."

"Huh?"

"A mare who lived in the moment just wouldn't give a damn." He pretended to examine his stone talons. "She'd be satisfied with the warm fuzzies, no matter how the universe hated her."

"Guh..." Rainbow rolled her eyes and growled, "Will you please stop rambling and just help me find the damn Chalice already?"

"What?" Lancie yawned and pointed aside. "You mean that one?"

"Huh?" Rainbow turned, and her jaw dropped.

Situated on the third shelf from the floor, behind three dusty trophies, was a short and stout golden goblet with four ruby studs. It glittered with remarkably brighter brilliance than the rest of the objects around it.

"No friggin' way..." Rainbow Dash reached in, brushed the other trinkets aside, and picked up the heavy object. "Why d-didn't you say something earlier?!"

"I dunno." Lancie waved a stone paw. "I guess I was too busy slice-of-lifing."

"Grrrrr..." Nevertheless, with a sigh, Rainbow polished the golden goblet's surface with her hoof. "The thing's a lot heavier than I imagined."

"I wonder if it's the real deal, though."

"Guess there's one way to find out," Rainbow said.

"Eh?"

Rainbow Dash looked behind her. She backtrotted until she stood squarely in between the shelves of trophies. Then, holding her breath, she stretched her wings out... and flapped them.

FWOOOOOOOSH! Her wingpower multiplied by a factor of ten, blowing every object off its shelf for dozens and dozens of feet. Cl-Cl-Clatttter!

Lancie whistled, impressed. He turned to smile up at Rainbow Dash. "Now let's go find a bunch of port-a-potties!"

"NO."

PreviousChapters Next