• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,706 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,706

PreviousChapters Next
Black and White and Midnight All Over

The next morning, Rainbow Dash woke up...

Or at least she thought she did.

Sitting in bed, the mare fumbled for a moment—trying to figure out if she was actually conscious or not. Rainbow winced as she moved her forelimbs. She touched the fetlocks—one to another—but felt a whole lot of... nothing.

And such is how she realized that she'd been putting off something for far too long.

Hanging her head, the mare sighed. Then—with healthy, flapping wings—she carried her body over into the bathroom to wash up...

And eventually into the kitchen to gather her belongings.


Thwoooosh!

Rainbow Dash nearly collapsed upon landing in the Everfree Forest. She paused in mid-air, using her wings to reorient herself. At last, she descended, landing on her limbs and locking them. With practiced grace, she shuffled forward, approaching the front door to Zecora's hut.

At last, the mare paused, feeling the weight of her saddlebags making her teeter left and right. Using her wings to stabilize herself, the mare leaned forward and dangled a hoof limply before herself. The pony bit her lip. She pivoted her forelimb left and right... trying to figure out the appropriate way to knock on the door in front of her...

Creaaaaaak.

The door opened on its own.

Rainbow blinked, surprised. She looked up with a smile. "Hey! How's it going Zecorrrrrrrrr—Noir?"

"Do come in, Rainbow Dash," the sarosian said, standing in the shadows of the hut. He stepped aside with a fanged smile, gesturing inward with his hoof.

Rainbow Dash hovered and drifted in. Her eyes remained locked on the stallion.

"It's been quite a while, has it not?" Noir remarked. "Funny how a myriad of dramatic things can make time fly by."

"... ... ..." She blinked at him.

"Is there something amiss?"

"Yeah," she muttered. "You're smiling."

"Hmmmf..." He nodded. "Well, even all creatures under Her moon are entitled, don't you think?"

"What are you even doing here?" Rainbow asked. "I'd figured you had recovered weeks ago."

"And—indeed—my health appears to have returned," the sarosian said. "However, I do appear to have found a new calling in life. Until the Lunar Code reasserts itself and establishes a new local headquarters, I've been applying my skills to the service of others around me."

"You don't say...?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I've spent the last few days rearranging my schedule so that I can be of more use in the day time."

"So you're no longer nocturnal?"

"That's one way of putting it," Noir said with a nod. "It is a challenge—most certainly. But one that has helped me be of good use to my fellow ponies."

"Yuh huh..." Rainbow nodded. "And what of fellow zebras?"

"Rainbow Dash!" Zecora stuck her head out from the basement staircase. "At long last!" She marched up, carrying several jugs full of herbs and medicinal supplies. "I knew that the time would come for you to acquire more medicine and then some."

"Yeah, Zecchy. Totally." Rainbow nodded. "I mean, you have no idea. I just joined the weather team that's gonna be responsible for uprooting a bunch of dead trees from the northern edge of the forest."

"Mmmm..." Noir nodded. "I do believe I've heard of that."

"Yeah. Well, turns out I'm one of the weather captains. And though my wings are enough to seal the deal... uhhh..." Rainbow gulped. "I don't wanna be weak in any other areas. So I was hoping you could work another one of your miracles for me." She turned around and fussed with her saddlebag, struggling to open one of the satchels. "Now... I-I'm not asking for you to make a whole bunch of the stuff. Just a little pick-me-up so I can last the next day or two. Then... when I get more bits... I'll come back and pay you handsomely for—"

Cl-clank! Three whole jugs were placed on the table beside Rainbow.

"... ... ..." She blinked at the huge collection of medicine. She next gawked at Zecora. "Uhm... Zecora? Did..." She pointed. "Did you already make this stuff?"

"Hmmmmm..." Zecora chuckled. "Rainbow, don't look so dazed. I believe 'On the House' is the appropriate phrase."

"Zecora... come on..." Rainbow frowned. "I know you're a mystical zebra shaman and all, but don't sell yourself short! I've got the bits to pay for this sort of thing!" She frowned. "Don't think of me as some friggin' charity case!"

"A donation, this most definitely is not. You can consider the brew earned and bought."

"We know how keen you are to receive only things that you've earned, Miss Dash," Noir said.

"I... I don't get it," Rainbow muttered.

Noir arched an eyebrow from under his hood. "Do you not?"

"Consider it an equivalent price," Zecora said, "For acquiring the lavenders of ice."

"Heh, well, when you put it that way—" Rainbow Dash froze in place. "...!!!" She looked at the two.

Zecora and Noir stared back, smiling.

Rainbow bit her lip. "You... you figured it out, huh?"

Both nodded.

"How could we not?" Noir remarked. "Every obvious clue points to it."

"Too many facts prove to be true," Zecora said. "After all, Rainbow, you are still you."

Rainbow sighed long and hard through a crooked smile. "Well... ... ...Luna poop."

PreviousChapters Next