• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,706 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,706

PreviousChapters Next
Flutter On to Fawn's Thicket

The morning hours rolled by.

The seven mares trekked leisurely uphill past thickening and thickening treelines.

Fluttershy hovered an inch above the ground, her voice joyful and triumphant: "Heee! Fawn's Thicket! Fawn's Thicket!" She grinned cheekishly into the bright air. "Oh... I wonder if I'll get to see a doe drinking at the side of a brook! Or maybe a bear practicing for hibernation! Or... or..." Her eyes sparkled. "Platypusessss!"

A dreamy sigh, and she turned to her side.

"Rainbow? Aren't you excited for Fawn's Thicket?"

"Eeeeeughhh..." Rainbow Dash limped on four legs, her belly sagging. "Too many hash brownsssss..."

"You should never eat angry," Fluttershy said, humming. "It's something my mother once taught me." A blink. "...my mother liked to drink."

"I'm not kidding," Rainbow grumbled. "My stomach is—like—sixty percent potato right now."

"At least your brain isn't!" Fluttershy coyly held a hoof over her muzzle. "Look at me. I made a funny."

"Mrmmmfff..."

The two strolled along in brief silence, until...

"Sooooo..." Fluttershy brushed her hooves across the ground while hovering. "...how was it like sleeping with Applejack?"

Rainbow glared daggers at her. "You're friggin' evil."

"Heeheehee..."

Rainbow nevertheless sighed. "It was... really nice, actually."

Fluttershy blinked, her features paling. "Ermmmm..." She gulped, then glanced aside at her friend. "Did... did you actually—"

"We had separate sleeping bags, Fluttershy. Jeez."

"Oh. Right. Of course."

"But... I slept pretty darn well," Rainbow muttered. "Like a friggin' baby, actually."

"I see." Fluttershy put on a gentle smile. "I suppose it goes to show that... when you're around what you love... it's not hard being at peace with yourself."

"... ... ..."

"Or... or am I flapping hot air into your ears—"

"That's pretty spot-on, actually," Rainbow muttered. "I mean... we laid down in the tent, watching lightning bugs and listening to the crickets. Then we just... chatted about random stuff... all friendly-like, y'know? Nothing heavy... nothing stupid. Just... chillaxing." She gulped. "As friends do."

"Almost makes you wonder why you never struck up the opportunity to be so relaxed before," Fluttershy said.

"... ... ...huh?" Rainbow squinted at her.

"I'm just saying..." She shrugged. "After all this time, drawing away from the rest of your friends because of one anxious thing or another—"

"I still know how to chillax, Fluttershy. You needn't worry about that."

"I didn't say I was worried." Fluttershy blinked at her. "But can you honestly say you've enjoyed nights as peaceful as last evening?"

Rainbow hung her head in mid-trot.

Fluttershy floated closer, patting Rainbow's shoulder. "Between you and me, I think you deserve no less."

"Mmmm... yeah, well..." Rainbow Dash lifted her head, gazing at the orange figure in the wagon ahead of them. "If that was true..." She gulped hard. "...then how come the only thing I can feel is her slipping away?"

PreviousChapters Next