• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,719 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,719

PreviousChapters Next
Death Becomes Her

"Grnnnngh!" Rainbow Dash struggled against the unearthly tendrils holding her to the floor of the room. "You friggin' creeps! Gnnngh! Have you gone totally bonkers?!"

Flim turned around, gazing boredly at the mare. "Oh, yes. I suppose there's this to deal with, yet."

"Quite," Flam added with half-a-yawn.

"You'd even turn on your own mother?!" Rainbow barked. "How desperate are you?!"

"We're doing this for our dear mother," Flim said. "Our dream is her dream... and her happiness."

"And the one thing keeping us from getting her and father to reunite is you," Flam added, pacing closer to the restrained pegasus. "You thought you could pierce through the veil covering Apple Jewell and disturb the Queen of Philanthropy." His eyes narrowed. "Well, you were sadly mistaken."

"We've covered every eventuality when we built this marvelous dreamscape!" Flim exclaimed, gesturing towards the lengths of the room. "We surpassed every construct of the alicorns who abandoned Cider Space and built a paradise where our parents can live forever in peace and harmony!"

"And we did it all by ourselves," Flam said. He chuckled slightly. "Well... with a little help from Silver Shill."

"A mere stepping stone to greatness," Flim added. "We'll drop him the very moment we've restored our father's spirit to the subconscious realm."

"Indubitably."

"You guys have all your screws loose," Rainbow wheezed through clenched teeth. "Your dad's time had come! There's no bringing him back! He wouldn't even be a ghost! Just a shade of something long gone!" Her brow furrowed. "You're not giving your Mom paradise, just another one of your hollow dreams!"

"Now that's a matter of perspective if I ever did hear one," Flam said. "And a very narrow-minded one at that."

"I simply cannot believe that you are willing to sacrifice Applejack's very livelihood so that your mother can live out a gross fantasy!" Rainbow frowned. "And against her will, too!"

"Not true." Flam pointed. "Mother desires this more than anything."

"She simply... forgets from time to time," Flim added. "As old ponies tend to do."

"Thankfully we're here to oversee her peace and prosperity." Flam grinned. "Quite like many nursing homes in the real world!"

"Only a great deal more luxurious."

"Indeed."

Rainbow shook her head. "I don't know what's more pathetic, that you've deluded her into accepting this pathetic 'gift,' or that you've fooled yourselves into thinking it's actually a good thing."

"You could certainly learn a thing or two about generosity, Blue Jay," Flam said, pacing closer while glaring at her. "All we've done is give. But you? You come to take away. And not just from Mother... but from your friend."

"You melon fudges are going to take her life away!" Rainbow's voice cracked.

"A life without loving parents, toiling endlessly on a paltry apple farm, with little to no reward for all her labors?" Flim remarked. "You really want her to stay a slave to herself, and for what purpose? So she can feel as though she's filled the empty gap in her heart?"

"We've seen deep into the mare's heart, my little pony," Flam said. "There's nothing you can give her. As a friend, you should know when to step back and allow the true geniuses to make her dreams come true."

"And it's here, our fine feathered friend," Flim remarked, gesturing around the room. "Here, she gets to be the princess she's always wanted to be since foaling." He smiled. "All that's left is for her to find a prince..."

"Or a knight in shining armor!"

"Yes! To kiss her awake!" Flim chuckled. "Quite on the nose, this 'Applejack,' but that's what made her so worthy of choosing above the other three."

"Simplicity at its finest."

"And most malleable." Flim flapped a hoof over his chest. "A heart like no other."

"She will seal the barrier behind father once he's been fished from the ether," Flam said. "And this dream we've carefully constructed will never collapse again."

"It won't happen, you hear me?!" Rainbow snarled. "I won't let you freaks get away with it!"

"I really don't think you're in a position to make any sort of declarations, madame!" Flam flung his hoof through the air.

The energy bands pulled Rainbow across the room and suspended her from the ceiling, just in front of the brass-laden door. Flim trotted up, pulled a few valves, and opened the black portal with a venting of steam from the many-many pipes.

Flam continued: "In fact, I don't think you'll be in a position to do anything at all." His eyes flickered. "For eternity!"

"Guys, wake up!" Rainbow hissed. "None of this could possibly work! Too much stuff has fallen apart! It's gonna explode in your faces, and by then you'll lose more than just your dad! Your mother will get dragged down along with this whole mess!"

"Bold words," Flam said. "Maybe somepony in the real world will put it on your tombstone, assuming anyone finds your vegetable body on the surface."

Flim leaned in with a smile. "Loyal to a fault. How charming."

"Let's see how well that lights your path in the realm of the dead." And with a final exhale, Flam flung his hoof.

The energy bands rippled outward, tossing Rainbow.

With a gasp, she went twirling—toppling—through the blacker-than-black doorframe...

...and into the abyss.

THUD! The dreamscape door slammed behind her...

And then she heard nothing, saw nothing...

Was nothing.

PreviousChapters Next