• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,658 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,658

PreviousChapters Next
Simple Facade

The first thing Rainbow noticed was how pleasant it smelled. It hadn't occurred to her that the city of Philanthropy smelled overall terrible—what, with its squalor and smog and impoverished underbelly. But the distinction between plebeian and aristocratic quarters became insanely real to her the moment she slithered through the balcony window and into the brightly lit domain of Shindig's Skyscraper. It was also insanely luxurious, with flowery decor and lush furniture and elegant paintings looming in every blink.

"My word," Gustave murmured, lurking just behind her as the two pierced a winding hallway. "For such evil ponies, these dreamers keep a fabulous place."

"Shhhh!" Rainbow hissed, silencing both Gustave and Epcot in one wave of the hoof. "I'm sure it's all just a simple facade," she whispered, then sneaked ahead. She passed by several marble sculptures and what appeared to be a bronze effigy of an apple tree. Then, just two more doors ahead, she heard melodic strings wafting through the air.

Epcot cooed, summoning a glare from Gustave. The mare grinned innocently. Both followers glanced Rainbow's way.

The mare leaned in towards the door, craning her ear. She raised an eyebrow, then opened the door just a crack, peering in.

As the door parted from its frame, she saw huddled masses of silk, tweed, velvet, and crinoline. Soon she was observing dozens of well-suited stallions and fabulously-dressed mares all huddled in chairs, facing what appeared to be the long end of an elegant ballroom. A miniature orchestra of cellists and violinists stood at the side, performing an enchanting ballad. Several fillies and colts giggled, chasing each other in little circles while their smiling, aristocratic parents looked on.

Upon seeing the kids, Rainbow Dash gulped. "Well that's not... freaky or anything..."

"Don't forget," Gustave muttered in her ear as he leaned in. "They're no more real than their parents."


"Yeah, sure, I know that. But..." Rainbow grimaced. "It's a lot easier to fight my way to Applejack when there aren't little hooves being trampled."

"You think it's actually going to come to that?" Gustave asked.

Rainbow shuddered, ears folding back. "With me? It usually does..."

"Well, maybe discretion here will be the better part of valor." Gustave gestured ahead. "Observe."

A figure trotted into the room, trotting the full length of the well-polished floor. As his figure drew closer in the candlelight, the ponies silenced, sitting up straight. The music died out as even the performers stood in reverant silence.

"I'm so happy you all could come this week!" the pony said, a frail stallion with brass-framed bifocals. He grinned wide. "Her Majesty has been very busy as of late, but she always has time to entertain this wonderful city's upper elite! She should be joining us shortly..."

Rainbow's lips pursed. "Silver Shill...?"

Gustave's hawkeyes blinked. "You know that petite creature?"

"Wish that I didn't," Rainbow muttered. "Though, how in the heck he got inside this place is beyond me. I mean... Stu and I left him in a friggin' outhouse..."

Rainbow felt soft fuzz brushing past her. "Is this somepony you know in the mortal realm?" Epcot squeaked.

"Errr..." Rainbow side-stepped and spoked hushedly, "Yeah. He's an assistant to Flim and Flam."

"Well, if that's the case, then no wonder we see him here!" Epcot smirked. "He's an extension of Shindig and her sons!"

"You mean sorta like how Applejack's friends and family have been appearing to me and Stu?"

"Exactomundo!"

"Meh... creepier and creepier," Rainbow muttered. "Say, Epcot, we're in it deep. Can you sense where AJ might be?"

"Why, of course!" Epcot grinned wide. "She's just—" Suddenly, her characteristically jovial face went blank, and she blinked her purple eyes straight ahead."

"What is it?" Rainbow asked, hoarsely.

"Erm..." Epcot withdrew, crouching in a little silken ball beside Gustave. "The nasty-nasties are coming."

"Huh?" Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

Then, from inside the ballroom, the spectacle'd stallion spoke. "Now, without much further adieu, I gladly reintroduce to you the patriarchs of profit, the professionals of productivity..." He spun about and gestured towards the far wall's chamber doors. "...Frederick Flim and Felix Flam!"

The ponies erupted in cheers while the band resumed playing an upbeat tune.

Rainbow's brow furrowed. "Here we go..."

PreviousChapters Next