• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,656 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,656

PreviousChapters Next
Not Pillow Talk, More Like a Pillow Conference

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaah..." Rainbow Dash opened the door to the bathroom. She trotted out, wings limp and drooped. "...yup. Allllll squeaky clean."

"Grnngh..." Applejack was lying down in the furthest bed. Her green eyes squinted at the bathroom light, and she turned over, rolling the comforter over her figure. "Ya mind puttin' the light out, sugarcube?"

"Er... r-right." Rainbow Dash trotted back and flipped the switch. The room became pitch black, save for the faint glow of city lights beyond the drapes next to Applejack's bed. "That better?"

"Much," Applejack sighed. "Can't remember the last time I've slept with things this dark."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I lurve Apple Bloom, but the poor little filly can't stand the shadows."

"For real?"

"Eeyup. Got at least three nightlights on the top floor of the house alone. Whenever we have a power outage, she gets all clingy and starts crying." Applejack shuddered slightly. "Shoot... sometimes I dun know my own honesty. Uhm... promise never to tell her lil' friends about that. She'd never forgive me."

"What?" Rainbow smirked. "Like Scootaloo?"

"Yeah..."

"Pffft. Come on, Applejack. Not like the kid's writing my biography or anything."

"Eh... whatever. Shucks, I'm tired."

"Then I'll let you get to sawing wood." Rainbow crawled into her bed across the way from her. "You've earned it."

"You feelin' any more rested?"

"Ohhhhhhh yeah."

"Cuz that sure was a long shower."

"Uhm..." Rainbow bit her lip. "I... noticed that t-too."

"Never figured you to be the squeaky clean type."

"Hey... It's not like I'm rolling in mud all the time either." Rainbow shrugged, sliding into her bed and curling up under the covers. The feeling of clingy moisture mixed with the warm toastiness of the duvet's insulation, and soon the pegasus was in heaven. "Hmmmm... I can't count how many times I've flown early morning weather coverage and gotten thoroughly spritzed by the clouds."

"Heh... guess that makes sense. As a pegasus, you must be used to getting wet a lot."

"Er..." Rainbow curled her hooves tighter to her chest.

"Always full of surprises." Applejack yawned, nestling her blonde head deeper into her fluffy pillow. "I sure am lucky to have so many varied friends."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Ponyville was originally an earth pony town. But, over the years, so many plum pegasi and earth ponies have moved in..."

Rainbow smirked. "Does a certain country bumpkin regret this?"

"Heck, no! It's the total opposite—is what I'm tryin' to say!" Applejack turned around in bed. Her bright green eyes were dim slits in the gray shadows of the room. "Between you, Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rarity... I've gotten the best that Equestria's ever had to offer. I just feel lucky to have so many unique and special friends, is all."

"Yeah." Rainbow squinted. "What about Pinkie Pie?"

"Pffft. Earth pony or not, she sure does take the cake."

"I'd say!"

Both mares giggled.

"Hmmmmm..." Applejack smiled dazedly, her eyes shutting. "We should have sleepovers more often."

Rainbow Dash stopped giggling long enough to wheeze. "We should."

"All of us, y'know? The whole gang? When I think back to all the crazy thangs we've been through over the past year, one of the nicest memories that comes to mind is the trip we took to Appleloosa."

"Really?" Rainbow Dash droned. "Because I've had about all I can take from buffalo."

"No, ya silly filly... I meant on the ride to Appleloosa," Applejack said. "When it was just the six of us loungin' around on the train car, chewin' the fat."

"Six plus one." Rainbow Dash winked. "Don't forget about Spike."

"Yeah, well... between you and me... sometimes I like to think of him as Twilight's pet puppy."

"Snkkkt—heeheehee!" Rainbow Dash hid her face under her covers, grinning like a foal. "Spike? A dog?"

"Yeah, what of it?"

"Now you're just high, AJ."

"Pffft... so what if I am?" Applejack smirked. "A lot of good thangs are happenin' in my life lately, even without this opportunity with Shindig."

The chuckles subsided as the room fell into dull silence.

"I... I really mean it..." Applejack's eyes opened, almost with a contemplative glaze to them. "Just... lately... everythang has been goin' so well, almost as if... Fate herself flung a switch and turned my whole world around on its head. Ever since Fancy Pants made a deal with us... I-I've been feelin' like I'm trottin' on Cloud Nine."

"And there's nothing wrong with that..." Rainbow Dash lowered the blanket to squint across the room at her. "...right?"

Applejack bit her lip.

"R-right?"

Applejack exhaled. "It's weird. Sometimes I feel like things are a little too good, as if I shouldn't be celebratin'—"

"Pfft. Why the hay not?"

"I dunno. Reckon I feel sometimes as if these thangs are just happenin' to me and I'm not actually earnin' any of it."

Rainbow Dash bit her lip, avoiding Applejack's gaze momentarily.

"I dun mind bein' successful. But... it's plum weird to enjoy so much good luck and not know where it's all comin' from."

"Karma."

"Huh?"

Rainbow shrugged, smiling. "Just take it with a proud smile, AJ. All your life, you've been a really swell pony. You deserve this hoof that fate's dealt!"

"Awwwww shucks, sugarcube. No need to go on like that."

"You're right. I was wrong." Rainbow shook her head. "You're not a swell pony."

"Oh...?" Applejack suddenly blinked.

Rainbow grinned. "You're an awesome pony."

Applejack rolled her eyes. "Typical Dashie..."

"At your service."

"If I may say so, you seem an awful lot more thoughtful these days."

"Uhhhhhhhhhh... huh?"

"Just... ya ain't yer old braggin', boastin', connivin' self." Applejack shifted under the covers. "Well, reckon you are a little bit, but in an adorable sort of way."

Rainbow's cheeks turned a bit rosy. "A-adorable...?"

"See? Back in the day, you woulda snapped at me for even sayin' something like that!"

"Yeah, well..." Rainbow Dash cleared her throat and glanced towards the ceiling. "I've got a lot more chance to put my head through the wringer, I guess."

"Lots of long, thought-provokin' flights with them delivery routes of yours, eh?"

"... ... ..." Rainbow glanced aside. "Sure. I guess you could say that."

"Well, more power to ya," Applejack said. "Ain't nothin' like a good soul-search that ends with you discoverin' more of yerself."

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath. She murmured, "I've been searching a whole... whole lot..."

"Maybe you'll lemme know what you find someday."

Rainbow smiled tiredly into the shadows. "Assuming the journey ever ends..."

PreviousChapters Next