• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,704 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,704

PreviousChapters Next
A Stone's Throw

"Let me get this straight, Sparky..." Lancie perched on Rainbow Dash's bedpost, gawking at the pegasus in the afternoon light. "After this entire spiraling ordeal in an ancient dreamscape, a delightfully chaotic experience that I was misfortunate enough to not experience, you not only saved your betrothed bedmate to be but you actually kissed her?!"

"AJ's not my bedmate," Rainbow Dash grumbled. She laid in bed, curled up, hugging the shard to her tummy. After a deflating sigh, she said, "And... pretty much... yeah..."

"Harumph..." Lancie leaned back, crossing his stone arms before his chest. "What an anticlimax. Care to tell me why you're not dust, a basket of butterflies, or some melted goo? I'd assume that one or all of the above would be the end result of such righteous muzzle tango."

"You don't get it," Rainbow muttered. "It was in Cider Space?"

"Oh?" Lance blinked. A few seconds passed. He squatted down on the bedpost. "Ohhhhhhhhhhh..." He nodded. "Oh."

Rainbow exhaled. "Maybe it did the trick, or maybe Applejack was never in danger to begin with. Whatever the case... I'm here. She's here. We're all here. We made it through that mess."

"No regrets, then?"

Rainbow bit her lip.

"I mean, you got the stone from it all," Lancie said. "You got a kiss out of it—even if it was a half-kiss. That's... a win-win-win scenario, yes?"

"Hmmm?"

The statue winked. "The third win being the ability to let yours truly work his magic."

"That's just it, Lancie," Rainbow muttered. "I... I almost feel like the magic's already happened."

"Eh, you're just a drained sponge from all that dreamfarting."

"No, for real." Rainbow sat up, turning the large shard over in her hooves. "I kept thinking and thinking about... a-about how everypony who got stuck in Cider Space—Stu and Mulia and Gustave and Donut Joe—they all at one point or another became prisoners within their own fantasies. They had their best dreams come true, and I had to rip them out in order to carry them along the path to freedom. But me? I never got stuck. Not once." She gulped. "Or did I?"

"I'm afraid I don't follow, Sparky."

"The whole time... the whole dang time that I was there in Cider Space... I... I-I was doing what I've always wanted to do," she murmured. "Saving Applejack. Protecting her."

Lancie cocked his antler'd head to the side, listening.

"And... y'know... even though I eventually made my dream come true and pulled her out of there, not once was I ever given the assurance that I wasn't... wasn't obsessing." Rainbow shuddered. "If it hadn't worked, maybe I'd still be stuck in Cider Space now, performing the role of a Knight in Shining Armor. I'd be... just as worse off as Donut Joe in the Grid or... or Stu Leaves and his made up family."

Lancie slowly nodded. "But your dream came true. You saved the frecklepone."

"And, in a way, my dream's always coming true," Rainbow murmured. "So..." She glanced over at Lancie. "Why am I still obsessed with it?" She bit her lip. "Why can't I wake up?"

"I... uh... can't pretend to understand you silly mortals, Sparky," Lancie said, reaching back to scratch his stone back with his talons. "You live such short, puny lives. And yet, so many of you want to spend them all asleep. I only laugh at the notion because it's so dang sad."

Rainbow exhaled, staring at the shard.

"So what do you intend to wish for?" Lancie said.

"That's just it." Rainbow smiled faintly. "Applejack's been saved. Just by being alive... just by being herself she is A-okay. Maybe... just maybe I've gotta learn to accept that." She glanced over at Lancie with sparkling eyes. "I need to realize that always being there for her... as a best friend is... is what can make her most hidden dreams come true." She shuddered, albeit pleasantly. "And mine."

"Soooooooooo..." Lancie squinted. "...it's a wish wasted?" He arched an eyebrow. "Like my time?"

Rainbow shook her head. "Nah. I've got a wish for ya."

"Oh?"

"Being there for Applejack is the coolest thing I've ever done," Rainbow said. A magical smile crossed her lips. "...but it's not the only friendship I've got."

PreviousChapters Next