• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,658 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,658

PreviousChapters Next
Dressed to Distress

“Rainbow, surely you don't think of me any less,” Zecora said in mid-trot. “This doesn't exactly fall in line with my shamanistic quest.”

“Pfft. Didn't I tell you a million times to chillax?” Rainbow smirked over her shoulder in the sunlight. “You deserve a day off, girl.”

“Perhaps you are right. Even still...” Zecora blushed slightly as she glanced at the bulging shopping back balanced atop her flank. “I fear I may be suffering a new plight.”

“How much did you spend again?”

“Thirty bits at that store alone. I fear at this rate my treasury will be as dry as a bone!”

“Hah! Zecchy, I—... I can call you 'Zecchy,' right?”

“I suppose...”

“I'm lucky if I spend under one hundred and fifty bits per week! You have any idea how much you totally scrimp by living in a friggin' hut right outside Ponyvillean jurisdiction?”

“Economy has never been my strongest suit. I've always sought to live where nature takes root.”

“When was the last time you spent this much in a single day.”

“Uhhhh...”

“You can level with me, girl.”

“In mid october when I had my mane brushed over.”

“Wait...” Rainbow Dash squinted back at the zebra as they crossed downtown Ponyville. “Was that part of your getup for Nightmare Night?”

“Why, yes. How did you guess?”

“HA! I knew I saw you at the Autumn dance off last celebration!” Rainbow smirked. “And here I thought it was just Pinkie Pie dressed up as 'the evil enchantress.'”

“Erm...”

“How come you never trotted up and announced to everypony you were there?”

“For the very same reason you last mentioned,” Zecora said with a nervous smile. “I did not mean to be a source of discension.”

“Meh... we've all gotten over our stupid little fear of you. Besides...” Rainbow winked. “You kind of got a 'creepy mystic' vibe that's totally cool...”

“It... is...?”

“Yeah. In fact, if I were you, I'd have a talk with Mayor Mare.”

“Whatever for?”

“You should ask her to let you deliver the Nightmare Moon speech this year.” Rainbow grinned devilishly. “I swear, it'll scare all the little fillies out of their saddles! Whew! I can hear their screams now!”

“Rainbow, I do not appreciate the notion of filling young foals with such a negative emotion.”

“Hey. Every pony enjoys a good scare now and then! Take me, for example! I'm saving up for a wicked sweet Shadowbolts costume!” She suddenly winced. “Erm... well... I was...” She hung on drooped wings and muttered to herself. “Before I fell into the cesspool that's become my mortgage and also had to pull two and a half jobs over my stinkin' limbs...”

“Hmmmm...” Zecora glanced back at the shopping bag on her flank. “Perhaps with a little gothic accessorizing, I can turn this gown into something terrifying.” She looked back at Rainbow Dash. “Surely Pony lore has room for exquisite refinery to accompany doom and gloom.”

“Heh, you can inspire a lot of things with that dress you just bought, Zecchy. But believe you me: it ain't fear.”

“I simply wish to make the best out of my investment. Do you truly think Nightmare Night would provide the best environment?”

“For real? Just ask Rarity or Twilight. I'm sure either one of them could tell you about a gazillion and a half ballroom dances happening between now and then. I mean, it's gonna be another friggin' year before the next Grand Galloping Gala. You kinda sorta just missed it.”

“The Grand Galloping Gala?” Zecora's eyes bulged. “Oh dear...” She fidgeted in mid-step. “I haven't the tenacity to take part in such an event, I fear.”

“Hey, I thought the same thing, and yet I still went.”

“What changed your mind about attending a pageant of such an elaborate kind?”

“Ermm... my friends were going, so I totally had to as well. Plus, the Wonderbolts were there, and I wanted sooooooo badly to show off in front of them.”

“Ah, I see. Did that go over nicely?”

“Eh...” Rainbow rubbed her numb hooves together. “Not really, no.”

“I am sorry to hear that, Rainbow Dash. Yours is the last celebration that deserves to crash.”

“Hah... that's a funny way of putting it.” Rainbow smirked. “Nawww... s'all good in the hood. Besides, it's not like the whole weekend in Canterlot sucked.” She smiled warmly to herself, exhaling with a dreamy sigh. “It's what happened afterwards that made it totally worth it...”

“Dare I inquire what dredged you from the mire?”

“Oh, nothing major. Just a nice, chillaxed afternoon.” Rainbow closed her eyes. “Spent strolling around town. Enjoying the mountain breeze. Listening to her talk...”

“Listening to who talk?”

Rainbow's eyes popped open. “Erm...”

“Perhaps you ran into one of the Wonderbolts?” Zecora smirked. “I'm happy to think that you ultimately earned your oats.”

“H-h-hey! Oats! P-perfect!” Rainbow grinned awkwardly, eyebrow twitching. “I'm totally hungry! Thanks for asking!”

“Uhhh—”

“Hayfries?! Thought you'd never ask!” Rainbow yanked Zecora—shopping bag and all—and hoisted her to the opposite side of the street. “Let's dig in!”

PreviousChapters Next