• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,656 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,656

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow Van Winkle

Rainbow Dash flew north.

The land hung as dark as the early-morning sky, made all the fuzzier by Rainbow Dash's bloodshot eyes. She had to repositioned her gliding body several times, due to having lost track of the horizon and where it bent before her.

As the first hour of flight went by, things didn't improve. This was mostly due to Rainbow's eyes constantly fluttering shut. She yawned more times than she could count... or pretend to be cognizant of counting. At one point, she smiled, for she found herself curling back into the folds of her bed blankets. This all ended in a sudden jerk when a pale granite talon poked her harshly in the back of the neck. Rainbow woke up with a start, gasping. She immediately ate leaves, and had to pull up with desperately flapping wings before her body got impaled on the throng of tree branches suddenly in her way.

What followed was ten long minutes of spitting up leaf parts and tree sap, punctuated by the sound of a snickering miniature golem hiding away in her backpack. Rainbow Dash groaned, rolled her eyes, and lurched forward in midair.

She wasn't exactly cruising that morning, but it hardly seemed to matter. The destination wasn't all that far away. Readiness was a great deal more important than punctuality, so Rainbow Dash took the time to allow her senses to adjust to the breezy glide of the journey.

And when things didn't move along fast enough, Rainbow Dash dove sharply, spotted the nearest river, and spun upside down. This forced Lancie to gasp and cling for dear life to the flap of the pegasus' satchel. Rainbow flew this way long enough to tilt her head up and dip her skull into the icy surface of a calm lake.

When she pulled back up, evening out on widely spread wings, she felt a cold stab of wakefulness to her heart. The wind whistled briskly past her wet ears, and she flicked the droplets off with more or less ease.

Waking up slightly, Rainbow Dash took a survey of her surroundings. As the sun started to peak to her right, she spotted hills sloping down into wide, flat plains. The grass grew more and more sparse as she hovered over an increasingly arid landscape. Trees were replaced with rocks and boulders. Houses vanished while landfills appeared, spilling gravel and sediment across the sloping foothills of the northeast mountains.

She judged that she was skirting the leftmost edge of the range that eventually produced Granite Mountain. In a moment of whimsical thought, she wondered what Churning may have been up to, and if he was getting along well with He Who Bags Well and the other thick-necked buffalo of the high caves.

And naturally that contemplation made her think about Fancy Pants, and thinking about Fancy Pants had her thinking about apples, and thinking about apples had her thinking about...

Rainbow sighed. She heard a voice clearing behind her. Looking back, she saw Lancie gesturing for her to fly lower. With an inward grunt, she angled her wings and dove sharply. Stifling another gasp, the tiny statue held on tight, struggling not to be whisked away in the cold morning breeze.

PreviousChapters Next