• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,719 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,719

PreviousChapters Next
Some Nerve

"Nnngh!" Applejack bucked a tall tree, filling two baskets to the brim with golden delicious apples. She panted, swiped her brow, and turned to look down the sloping hillside. Two rows down the orchards, Rainbow Dash was darting from tree to tree, pinballing between them with heavily thudding hooves. "Better get a move on, Rainbow Dash! If you wanna be any help, we gotta clear the next four rows by the end of this hour!"

"Haaah!" Rainbow slammed against a final tree, spilling apples like crimson rain into a steep basket. "You mean the next four rows I already friggin' did?"

"Say wh-what?!" Applejack's pupils shrunk. She hopped onto the wheel of her wagon and craned her neck over the piles of fruit to get a good look.

Sure enough, the next few lines of trees past them were bucked clean.

"Well, I'll be." Applejack squinted Rainbow's way. "How in tarnation did you get all them apple trees empty? Are ya cheatin'?"

"Hnngh!" Rainbow Dash rammed her fetlocks into another tree, wincing slightly. "Is that even possible?"

"Erm..."

"Well?! You're the apple expert here! Or is your name 'Orangejack' all of the sudden?" She suppressed a giggle.

"Unngh..." Applejack rolled her eyes as she stepped back down onto the grass. "This is why I don't work with pegasi..."

"Why?" Rainbow smirked, sweating. "Cuz you can't stand the awesome? Or you're afraid of being out apple'd?"

"Less sassin' and more apple-loppin'!" Applejack pointed downhill. "There's still an entire field of trees downwind to knock out if we wanna make quota! Keep it up, surgarcube, and I promise I'll make it worth your while!"

"Jee, you're welcome."

Applejack sighed. "Rainbow..."

"Heh... s'all good. I get it." Rainbow soared overheard, spinning about to deliver Applejack a proud salute. "Don't fret, Cap'n, my Cap'n! I'm gonna make so many apples fall, Isaac Neighton will turn over in his grave!"

"Oh horsefeathers..." Applejack rolled her eyes, but smiled warmly. "I swear that last one made my brain hurt."

"Good thing apple bucking only involves your body!" Rainbow soared downhill. "Just try and keep up!"

"Don't wear yourself out too fast!"

"Who, me?" Rainbow flew and flew. At last, when she was two rows of trees away, she looked back.

Applejack was beyond line of sight.

Rainbow exhaled heavily. As soon as the breath left her lungs, she grimaced hard. Her wings gave out, and she slumped towards the ground. She outstretched her hooves, but they were too weak at this point to catch a fly. With a groan, Rainbow grinded into the dirt, kicking up soil and grass.

She tried pushing up, but her legs only wobbled and wobbled like an infirmed horse's. Finally, teeth gnashing, she rolled over until she lay on her back. It took nearly a full minute of struggle, but she finally pulled the pill container out from her saddlebag.

Biting her lip, she stared at the prescription label with weary eyes. It had been less than two hours since the last time she took a dosage, but the entire exercise was throwing her nerves for a loop. A trembling sensation ran through her body, and it took all her strength to keep the container steady in her hooves.

"You alright over there, sugarcube?!" Applejack's voice called out, making the top leaves of the apple trees quiver. "Ain't time for no restin' yet! We have a whole evenin' ahead of us!"

Rainbow Dash clenched her eyes shut, took a deep breath, and hollered back, "I'm just s-surveying the land!"

"Sounds good to me!" And Applejack's voice turned to distant grunts as she kicked a row of trees several yards away.

Rainbow opened her eyes again. She was sweating hard. Suppressing an inward groan, she popped the cap loose, tossed a pill into her mouth, and swallowed the tablet hard. Wincing, she slid the container back into her saddlebag, stood up on quivering legs, and flapped her wings hard.

Levitating, she could already feel a slight tingle to her forelimbs.

"Come on... get into gear..." She hissed quietly to herself, flying faster towards the trees ahead of her. "You need the apples more than she does." Her jaw tightened. "At least for this week! Hnnngh!"

Rainbow flew like a missile and bucked a tree directly in front of her. The heavy impact sent a jolt of sparks through her limbs, reexciting the nerves. It would have to do.

Undaunted, Rainbow zig-zagged her way through the orchards, filling baskets by the dozen.

PreviousChapters Next